Taylor "house magazine"

What's Hot
If you buy a Taylor guitar you get a quarterly Taylor magazine in the post. There's some interesting articles to be found amongst the obvious propaganda and merchandising. They are available to read online at woodandsteel.taylorguitars.com so if you're bored during this lockdown and are interested in acoustic guitar, then it may be worth a look. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Yes, it is a pretty good magazine for free, albeit a bit preachy and understandably Taylor-centric.

Another option is Brook Guitar's delightfully named "Babbling Brook". It is downloadable for free from their website and, IMO, is the best regular acoustic guitar publication I've come across.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    +1 for both of those.   The bits I find most interesting in the Taylor mag are related to how they deal with the gradually change in wood availability - trying ‘new’ wood species as the more traditional woods become less available etc.
    The thing I find confusing about it is that it doesn’t arrive quarterly for me.  I’ve had a Taylor since 2012 but the mag turns up very randomly, once in a blue moon.  For a few years I thought they’d stopped doing it until I saw one in a guitar shop.  One arrived last summer, but nothing since.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I bought a GS Mini in 2013 (long since moved on) and still keep getting the bloody magazine delivered. I’d love it to stop....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    I really like receiving the magazines, not too much in them but it's good for a 5 minute read.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a GS Mini in 2013 (long since moved on) and still keep getting the bloody magazine delivered. I’d love it to stop....
    I finally worked out how to stop receiving the magazine. I moved house.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a nicely produced magazine but, as you might expect for a corporate freebie, it is full of promotional guff. Not bad for a quick read but I can't bear the letters page – "Dear Bob, I recently bought a Taylor 814 and it is the finest instrument I have ever had the pleasure of using....blah blah"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It's self-serving, of course, but there's usually something in there I didn't know about construction, tonewoods or whatever. I think there's a video version too, now, though I haven't checked it out yet.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Is this just for the original purchaser, or for anyone who might *ahem* have purchased, say, a Baby Taylor from classified ads on a guitar forum?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I think it's for the original purchaser, and is probably triggered when you register your purchase. But all the issues are available online ( see first post)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    I think it's for the original purchaser, and is probably triggered when you register your purchase. But all the issues are available online ( see first post)
    Thanks for the clarification!  More time idling away the hours in the inter webs!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Also try the Taylor YouTube channel, Taylor primetime
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Just don't try to buy anything from it as they don't ship outside north America.

I'm partial to a Taylor t-shirt, nightmare to find here.
  • JerkMoans said:
    Is this just for the original purchaser, or for anyone who might *ahem* have purchased, say, a Baby Taylor from classified ads on a guitar forum?

I successfully registered mine, which I bought second hand from a dealer. You just need to complete the online form, I think. It won't hurt to try, anyway.
  • I bought and registered a new Taylor in December bit haven't had the magazine yet
  • I bought and registered a new Taylor in December bit haven't had the magazine yet
    The calm before the storm. Once it starts, it’ll never stop.....
  • I bought a Taylor in 2001 and another in 2020 and I don’t think I’ve ever got a magazine!
  • I bought a Taylor in 2001 and another in 2020 and I don’t think I’ve ever got a magazine!
    The postage spent delivering mine since I bought a GS Mini in 2013 must greatly exceed to profit they made on the guitar.

I can almost hear Mr Sting paraphrasing himself, “Trees trees, Save de trees, Woah oh”
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    edited February 2021
    Everytime mine arrives, I think "there's another £5" to myself.

Soon, they'll have spent more on the mag than I spent on the guitar.

They need an option that says "tick here *not* to receive the magazine" and just get the guitar for free ...

That said, I've found their customer service to be above and beyond in helpfulness.  I guess the mag serves to keep Taylor customers inside the brand, builds some sort of affinity, maybe increases that chances of another purchase at some point.  Easy for them to produce, easy for recipients to flick through (and bin), etc.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The first issue of Wood & Steel for 2021 arrived today. A bumper edition featuring the current guitar line up - the new Grand Theater (GT) models are very tempting. I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried one. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I bought a Taylor in 2001 and another in 2020 and I don’t think I’ve ever got a magazine!

UPDATE: I just received an email asking me confirm my details!