Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• Hi Folks! Just joined and looking forward to reading and contributing when I can.

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

My friends in Scandinavia always called me that when I lived there for many years and it just stuck.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Isle of Wight

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Listening/enjoying but have also done some band photography at gigs around Sweden.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

My most used is a HeadRoom Ultra Micro DAC/Amp stack.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Thunderstruck - AC/DC

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum.
    My name's Sarah, I currently live in Vancouver.
    I've been lurking around for quite a long time and finally decided to join!

Q1:  Where did your username come from?
    Just my name, nothing special
    Canada
    As it was said in a great song, to "enjoy the silence". But actually, I find music everywhere around me, it's just wonderful
    Just my old Japanese Ibanez Roadstar II 1984
    John Mayer - slow dancing in a burning room
    My recent article about tremolo pedals
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi folks - I'm Matt, I'm 42 and I'm from the Midlands.

Stumbled across this place while looking for information about guitars when I should have been working.

I've been playing guitar for a couple of years, a couple of years of uke on top of that - no prior musical efforts beyond a couple of guitar lessons as a kid, and a couple of months of trying to play harmonica as a teenager.

Matt - fairly obvious; harrier - I used to run a basketball team called the Harriers. Combine the two, and the rest is history.

Coventry, the proper one in the UK, not one of the fresher ones in the colonies.

To be able to go into a guitar shop, and look awesome while I'm trying out guitars! But really, just to be able to play more or less anything to some degree, and be able to jam along to whatever is going on.

Not too much gear yet, but I have a Hohner LP type which I bought cheap and have rewired and brought back from the edge of being junk. Plays lovely now.

For the purposes of the question, ZZ Top's La Grange. But really, so many in a huge range of genres, for all types of situation!

• Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Leicestershire

I'm a transplant from Leicestershire, whereabouts are you? I grew up right at the bottom, in Lutterworth 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • G4peiG4pei Frets: 7
    Q1:  Where did you username come from? G4pei was my late Father's ham radio call sign
    Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Norfolk
    Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be the best I can be!
    Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Custom shop special order Les Paul 'SG' formerly owned by Mick Taylor
    Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Difficult to choose one but I would go for 'Layla'
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from? the guitar
    Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? France
    Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? having fun
    Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Vigier excalibur
    Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Mean street
  • A little late to this. Been on the board for a few weeks now, bought and sold a bit, read a tonne. Better late than never though, right?!

Q1:  Where did you username come from? It's my name without the vowels
    Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? London UK nowadays (via Canada)
    Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? I did the band thing for 10 years. Moved to the UK. Now just play at home.
    Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Just one? Argh... I suppose I have to pick my mid-60s ES-330.
    Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Rain by The Beatles
  • Hello all, Graeme from the Highlands of Scotland, joining as I have been lurking around, reading the forum for ages and it seemed only right to do so....

I have one single username for everything..........

Nearest place is Inverness but I have a croft up in the wilds behind Cawdor.

To get back to gigging, after a gap of about 20yrs

Has to be the Orange Micro Dark

Joe Walsh, Lifes been good!

• Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 148
    edited February 2021

Hi all - I'm Cosku, I'm 40 and I'm originally from Turkey but living in London for last 1.5 years. 

I was visiting this forum while searching for some gear occasionally but never thought to be a member before strangely. I don’t know why…But today is the day.I used to do gigs back in Istanbul before coming here and playing in a trio with some 70s rock and blues, loud and fun stuff. I really enjoyed the blues sessions in London especially at ANB before Covid. I wish this situation ends soon and we can all enjoy playing/listening some live music again.

My name is Cosku and some friends call me just Cos which is pronounced exactly same as Josh.

North West London.

Being able to play and have fun in a Jazz Jam Session.

A custom built tele by Ekrem Ozkarpat. Neck is standard maple+rosewood fingerboard, but the body is mulberry. I love especially how the neck pick-up sounds.

Julian Lage – Ryland.

• SimonhSimonh Frets: 1358
    1. It’s my name
      2. Nottingham
      3. I’d like to be able to play a few things I like and jam a bit
      4. Ibanez rgr420 ex (frost red)
      5. Too many to list...
  • Hi all

joined a couple of weeks ago and have been going through all the forum to pick your brains.

Thinking of learning to play so I am a complete novice compared to you lot, got loads of questions so be prepared =)

It is the one I use on most forums, comes from a Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum putter

I live in Washington / UK, that's next to Newcastle  =)

To be able to play at least one song in a months time

My Mac Pro, no musical gear as yet

Hotel California

• UHASUHAS Frets: 137
    Hello
    Not long found this site and I think it'll be my new favourite.
    1 UHAS = Uriah Heep Appreciation Society. I used to run a Uriah Heep fan club! Strange but true....

2 I live on the Isle of Skye, no guitar shops, the nearest is 3 hours away, though that hasn't cured my addiction! 

3 Achieved more than most though good fortune and luck. Worked in the music business, for a record company (totally corrupt) was a roadie and a PA to an incredible guitarist, and got to play (3 chords) while he solo'd on stage in Tokyo. Dream jobs and you get to see the world at someone else's expense.

4 the most consistent bit of gear is my amp Fender Princeton Reverb, Guitars come and go and leave only regrets.

5 Hmmm difficult , it varies at the moment loving the new Steven Wilson album , but anything melodic I guess? Powerpop stuff like Jellyfish, Bleu, L.E.O. The Posies but when you go back to the roots it's probably a Beatles song.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi, thought I’d join a forum to see what the craic is. I have owned a guitar for about 11 years, apart from a few weeks of trying it out when I first got it I haven’t touched it for at least 10 years. 

I picked it up again four weeks ago and have been practicing every day since. I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing but it doesn’t matter, I’m enjoying the process. I’ve just discovered the JustinGuitar site, he seems to know what he’s doing, so I’m trying that out. 

I used to be a mediocre drummer in various bands for 40 odd years, so I can count to four, aside from that I know the square root of feck all about playing guitar. 
  • Hi all,

In an effort to tick every box of the classic mid-life crisis I decided during the first lockdown that I would try to learn to play guitar.

I picked up a used Squier Affinity Strat that came with a little fender frontman amp and everything else I needed to get started. Now entirely due to the amp and nothing to do with my ability I sounded horrible. A good search on ebay, hours of youtube reviews and £40 later a barely used Blackstar ID Core was mine. This had reverb and delay which could mask some of the ugliness I was producing. 

I learnt some open chords until I got frustrated with my reach / stretch. I didn't even make it to F it happened at C!

Next I discovered backing tracks and the minor pentatonic scales. I was now living my guitar hero dream and just having a ton of fun.

Then the GAS really set in and almost a year later 8 guitars, 4 amps and anything else anyone was selling within 100 miles on gumtree meant our guest room (cant have them anymore so it needed to go) became my music room. Not divorced yet but I know what I'll buy if it happens!

I'm now making my way back to learning the basics properly and picking up some theory along the way but most days I'm still just overplaying to one of my favourite backing tracks and loving every minute.

Once its safe to do so I would love to meet up people of a similar level (or extremely patient and understanding more experienced players) to try and jam with. The thought of playing in front of someone else kinda terrifies me but I wanna give it a go.

Thanks to anyone who is still reading!

Q1:  Where did you username come from? My annoying little sausage fingers

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? South Wales

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To always remember I started this for fun and not be able to quit my job and hit the road.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? D'Angelico Bedford Deluxe

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Spa 

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 359
    Long time listener, first time caller... I'm Ed - originally from Dorset but have taken a circular route around the country for the past 15 years or so and am now based in London.  Been playing since I was 11 (I'm 38 now). Haven't played in a band seriously since I joined the Army in 2005, but starting to feel the need to scratch that itch again now.. 

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

It's my "zap number" from the military, and now my username pretty much everywhere on the internet

Hackney, East London

Eh, not much these days. I've played some good gigs in the past, supported some big bands, etc, but those days are long gone. I'd settle for some open mic nights with a decent singer or playing in a covers band these days... 

Right now my '95 USA Standard Strat. I've just ordered some Monty's Guitars "Full Monty" pickups for it and I'm excited for them to arrive. 

Always Voodoo Chile. It blew my mind when I first heard it aged 12, and it still blows my mind now...

"Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from?

combination of various nicknames

Darkest Norfolk, Uk

To play some gigs

1967 Marshall JTM50 Black flag and pinstripe 4x12

Life on mars

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from?

My ancestors, an Italian family with a slightly dodgy history.

The Midlands, England.

To play in a band again. I've not played much at all for years and I'm getting back into it.

1989 Fender Strat Plus, bought new by me as a student. I still have it and will never sell it although I'm happy to play around with mods that are reversible.

Pass - if I tried to answer this I would spontaneously combust.

• Hi everyone

Q1:  Where did you username come from? It's my name reversed.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Scotland.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Finish writing a song.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Vanden guitar.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Rainy Day Dream Away by Jimi

• Hi, newbie to the forum, oldie to the rest of the world.........

Q1 - My old stage name from the early 80s psych punk days.

Q2 - Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

Q3 - To keep improving and playing better

Q4 - My 71 tele.........I'd marry it if it was legal........

Q5 - Far too many to pick just one, plus depends on my mood at the time........
  • eco1eco1 Frets: 4
    Hi guys!

Q1: Don't now , means Echo in Spanish and I was playing a game online, repetitive killing I guess. lol.
    Q2: I am in Redeckland in the USA Today. Might be in the Caribbean next week and I keep traveling between the 2.
    Q3: To be happy and play and record again.
    Q4: I cant choose, love my Thorn thou! 
    Q5: Must be a Zeppelin tune!