SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS - Peavey Brian Bromberg - Bquad 4 string Graphite Sig - £1000 - temp withdrawn!

What's Hot
GizmoGizmo Frets: 1072
edited February 2021 in Basses £
Ok this might be a bit left field for the Bass section of a guitarist forum but i'll throw it up here before it goes to reverb/ebay just incase someone fancies it, A quick outline blah blah blah skip to TLDR if you don't want to read it

I purchased this a few years ago and just as it was going out the door the seller told me there was an issue with the output cutting out and "his tech" thought it was an issue with the power feed from the 18volt x2 battery hook up

Anyhows i purchased the bass with a bit of a discount and it arrived,output was as discribed radomly cutting out so i took it to a few places for them to look at but due to it housing a PCB no one wanted to touch it....

So i got onto peavey UK and ordered a replacement PCB...took a few months to arrive (as thy had to ship it in from the USA i was told)
took it back to a few other "techs" and again as it had a PCB they just wouldn't touch it (it only as 9 wires to hook up) In the end i took it to a local electrical repair place and they offered to replace the board and re-solder it like for like as they knew nothing about guitars/basses.

After getting it back i was so pissed off with it i just quickly checked the output (it has sound from both outputs) but didnt bother to check the crazy amount of options and output configs...Pans/Piezos ect ect ect

After that i stuck it in the case and really haven't touched it in years....since pulling it out the other day and reading up on them ive found out that the PCB faults are a common issue with these basses and most people have since had them replaced.

TLDR...Had output issues with it's PCB, which was replaced but im still unsure if all the output options work as they should....

So pic's

As you can see it's pretty much as new, no marks dents or damage of any kind Will be going up at Reverb/ebay for a bit more but i'll do it for £1000 here for anyone who fancies it, even with a faulty PCB/output they dont come up very often, i just dont play bass enough these days to justify keeping it.

Would have to sort insured shipping so fire me a postcode so i can get a quote, any question please shout.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Thats a blast from the past.  I remember when these came out and reading about it in Bass Player.  It certainly is very different and unique.  One of my fellow students in my music school in the mid 90s had a 5 string version of it and it looked very different from everything else.  The options are endless.

GLWTS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1072
    bassbora said:
    Thats a blast from the past.  I remember when these came out and reading about it in Bass Player.  It certainly is very different and unique.  One of my fellow students in my music school in the mid 90s had a 5 string version of it and it looked very different from everything else.  The options are endless.

GLWTS

Cool thank for the reply :) i always fancied a 5 in these but ive never seen one pop up, and yes it does have a crazy amount of settings and options (which seem to have become and issue due to PCB failures) i was big into Brian's slap and tap fusion stuff years ago when bass was my main and this like the Zon basses has that really sharp/glassy attack that seem tobe common with Graphite neck basses

As i say i think this is a little bit to "niche" for the FB so i'll get around to trying it on Reverb & i might even give Bassdirect a buzz when all the cv-19 stuff has been lifted, seem players in the states go for these mad quick but shipping out there is a PITA anytime.

Cheers
    Gizmo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • arttoartto Frets: 3
    Hi Gizmo. I'm interested in this Peavey B-Quad bass. I'm in the USA near Chicago. I have quite a few B-Quad. The Natural finish is the only color/finish I'm missing. Actually, I would prefer a 5 string version of this color/finish but who knows when I'll find one in excellent condition.

Do you have the original hard shell case? And, would you be willing to ship to USA?

I have a lot experience with this bass. I can help guide you through checking things out to make sure what is working properly and what's not.

Thanks Much!
    Artto
    Hey Artto 

Thanks for your post & offer :) while ive imported into the UK from the USA many times atm exporting looks like it's a bit mad at the moment, i'll have to go get some quotes for insured shipping to see what the damage for you would be which looking at the exchange rate might be a bit rich.

I was also looking at getting a 5 string when this came up back in 2013 but non ever seem to come up so i grabbed this (i think ive seen BB himself posted about wanting to get hold of a 5 string peavey of his own sig because he was missing one!, hey your not BB are you lol)

Well i have this listed on ebay atm and after a little bit of prodding by a watcher & messages i took sometime to sit down with the manual and walk through and test all the "Tone Network" options in ref to the manual

And i can now confirm that the PCB replacement i talked about above was a complete success and all the options are fully working as discribed in said manual

I thought there was a problem with the pizeo setup but after checking the rear pots id found they had all been zero'ed and boosting them brought the levels back up to full.

I was sold this in just a standard hard case, ive read that they should have come with a Peavey fitted B-quad hard shell case but TBH ive never even seen a pricture of one of these offical cases and non of the these basses ive seen for sale across the web have ever had one inc.....Artto do you have pic's of one i can check out?

btw here a shot of the pulled Old faulty PCB (someone messaged me on ebay asking for a pic of it to prove id had it replaced....wtf i need to Prove anything to some random ebayer is beyond me but ;) )

I think i might for the moment pull this from sale and get a full check up done with a certificate/report that it's in full working order before putting it back up for sale.

Cheers
    steve

That's all good to hear Steve.

Here's what I know (from your pics).They were made 1994 thru about 98. I believe your B-Quad is a later model.  I can tell from both the serial number and the piezo pickups. Yours has the later piezo pickups. The original piezos were made by Rick Turner (Renaissance Guitars/Alembic). He also designed the preamp/mixer. From a conversation I had with him it sounds like this project turned out to be a rather bad experience (with Peavey). He was kind enough to send me a replacement piezo (last one) free of charge.

Upon plugging the guitar cord into the bass, it's common for the master volume control to sound scratchy for a minute or so, then goes away. No idea why.

The Peavey VFL magnetic pickups were supposedly designed/OEM by Bartolini. The Bartolini NTBT-918 preamp & piezo buffer can be a replacement for the original electronics.

LOL, no, I'm not BB. BUT, he did personally play the two original ones I bought. Actually, I'm sort of friends (acquaintance) with him. I had to ask his permission for some cosmetic variances on a black fretless 5 string I wanted to special order (one of the last B-Quad made). I didn't want any fret lines or the "B" logo and side markers repositioned to where the frets would be. I chatted with him recently wondering if he had a 5 string in natural finish like yours that he might part with to complete my collection.

Yes, the B-Quads have a special fit case. I believe there is one FS on Reverb.com.

On the fretted B-Quads I love using GHS Stainless Steel Contact Core strings. This will require resetting the instrument using both the bridge saddles and neck angle adjustment. The attack with these strings is literally explosive and the sustain is absolutely remarkable, and very "piano-like".

Anyway, I understand the shipping cost issue. Let me know what you come up with and see where it goes from there.

Over & Out  =)
    Artto (or Arto or Art)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hey Artto

I gave you a wow (id add a wiz too if i could :) & /bow for your excellent post and information many thanks.

I played Bass as my main for about 18 years and i was mad into slap and tap & solo stuff like BrianB/Hamm/Manring/Caron/Wooten/King ect ect ect & had/ have an Ns2 4 string as my main for about 15 years,but i always wanted that BB/Manring Glass attack/sound for Bass only solo pieces after hearing it on "My Bass" on BB's BB CD & that i found very difficult to get out of a "just wood" bass......A few other things were going on at the time im my life but the hassle i had with this bass just kinda push me over a cliff and i just stopped playing pretty much altogether & when i finally got back into music/playing a few years later  i took up guitar because i just fancied a change, but now (and you might not want to hear this. lol)....messing with the B-quad and finally getting that Sound ringing around my head might have me starting to serve 2 masters ;) (seems to work for Antoine Fafard so)

Just when i start to poke about again for info these basses and their issue im finding a load more stuff about them than i did 6 or so years ago when it was "Fixed" & pretty much went into storage ;)

I just came across this on YT

Pretty much just what happen with mine one day it just died...Glad johnny(or maybe GOD lol) fixed it up

For a while i had thought about riping the whole thing out and installing a simpler system, in-fact i managed to track down an unused non pizeo version of the adjustable Wilko bridge used on these basses for just such a task (its in a box in my workshop atm, i'll grab it for some pics on monday) @ the moment this is strung with a 7 year old set of trace 90-30's (mark king set) so i will take a look at those GHS string you listed, and yes the setup on these is a PITA, nothing like a standard bass/guitar, when i got this it had an action of about 6mm at the 12th totally unplayable,it's OK atm but not quite as low as i think it can/should go...dam i wish it has a truss rod ;)

Again @artto many thanks for your interest,feedback and info..Dam having BB play you basses and OK you mod ideas man that super special, & i will have a look at shipping options for you but looking at a few price on stuff coming the other way ATM it might be a little bit to much to swallow with shipping+insurnace at the current exchange rate and such....btw have you ever had chance to check out the Dean or Carvin BB Sig Basses? Ive never seen any here in the UK and i wonder if they match the peavey units for features and versatility..they cant be that bad as i doubt BB would put his name to any POS basses ;)

btw Do you have a link for that Reverb b-quad case? i can't see it on Reverb UK might be something todo with USA-UK shipping options?

OK i just killed the Ebay listing for this so Sorry if anyone watching it there with the intent to bid has just dropped by (if id have gotten a starting bid i might not now be thinking of keeping it...)

Ok im going to stop talking now (or maybe its the beer)

Have a good one

Cheers
    Steve

I don’t think you’re going to get the kind of attack & sustain that the B-Quad has from any wooden neck regardless of the fingerboard material. And don’t forget, the B-quad body is solid hark rock maple, not some laminated stuff which would most certainly soften the tone & response.

Speaking of “response”, that’s another special B-Quad quality. IMO B-Quad are one of the most responsive (ie: sensitive) instruments on the planet. Probably a little over the top for what most people are looking for. But I love them. For me it’s like anything I feel like playing just comes rolling off my fingers effortlessly It’s story time I guess (if you don’t mind). Some of this I’ve previously posted somewhere out there in internet-land.

Back in the mid 90’s I was doing a weekly gig with Lurrie Bell at Rosa’s in Chicago. One night (blues bassist/singer/songwiter) Sarah Brown walks in. Tony the owner (and a fine blues drummer in his own right) comes up to me and says Sarah Brown is in the audience and would like to sit in on a few songs and asks if she could use my bass. Even though this was back in the 90’s I knew who she was as she was just interviewed in Bass Player Magazine. I don’t like other people playing my “best” instruments but there are exceptions sometimes and this was one of them. So Sarah comes on stage and I help her strap it on (mine fit me like a glove. Kind of like being strapped into the seat of a jet fighter or Lamborghini. She plays a few quick notes and her hands “pop off of the instrument” like she got an electric shock or something. And then she says “My God! This thing is fast!!!” Then I had to tell to be careful with the volume control. The output is really HOT. She handled it pretty well. It’s a huge difference from the usual P-bass in every way imaginable.

And then there’s how I came about buying one of these. Bromberg was doing a “clinic” at the local Peavey dealer. I was lucky enough to attend. It was a real treat getting to see & hear Brian playing while sitting only 3 to 5 meters away from him. I was totally blown away. I was just getting back into playing again and thought I had my chops back. LOL. ROTFLMFAO. Yeah, right. Anyway, I was serious about playing pro again and figured I could use a second instrument. I had my heart set (probably) on a Modulus. A couple weeks later I take my wife with me to the music store to make a final purchase. The sales guy says “hey, weren’t you here for the Bromberg clinic? Why don’t you try one of the B-Quads?” Reluctantly (Peavey phobic, right?) I pick one up and start playing. Suddenly my wife says “You play this one better.” I ask her what she means by that. She says “I’m hearing you play things I never heard you play before.” And that rang a bell. I was kind of stunned actually. Why? Because that’s pretty much exactly what Brian Bromberg had said at the clinic. He said “This instrument will bring out music in you that you didn’t even know was there.” WOW. Talk about taking the words right out of the horse’s mouth! So I bought it – at list price. (but half the price of a Modulus)

Then, about a year later the other B-Quad is still sitting there in the store. I couldn’t believe it wasn’t sold yet. The store manager sees me eyeing it (again). He knows I bought the first one. So he comes up to me and says “make me an offer – take your time”. I did. And then I tell him $1250. He doesn’t say a word, just shows me his calculator. It says 1200. He says it’s your for $1200. I ask “with the case?” Yep, with the case.

A few years later I ordered the black 5 string fretless mentioned above. It took 18 months to get it. Apparently someone at Peavey thought the neck was defective because it didn’t have fret lines and threw it on the defective parts pile where it sat until I made a big enough stink about how long this was taking and someone finally tracked down what happened to it. (Hint: don’t custom order anything from Peavey. They’re not set up for that). It’s a killer looking bass. Very difficult to take pictures of. Gloss black, the phenolic fingerboard is gloss black too. All black hardware. Strung with LaBella Gold flatwounds. If Darth Vader played bass this is the bass he would play.

I have my fretted 4 string B-Quads (GHS Stainless Steel Contact Core 105/45) set at 0.75mm height 12th fret. I have one strung with Optima Gold roundwounds and that one doesn’t seem to go as low, maybe 2mm, but admittedly I haven’t really spent much time trying to dial it in. These supposedly don’t need a truss rod. However, in my experience the string type & gauge can affect the neck relief slightly. But more importantly, so does the neck angle. So it’s kind of a balancing act between strings, neck tilt and bridge saddles (in that order) to get really low action.

The one thing I really love about B-Quads is they stay in tune. No problems coming in from really cold/hot weather. Very minor pitch adjustments, if any. I took a 10 year hiatus. When I took the B-Quad out of the case after 10 years it was just very slightly flat. Could have hit the stage running if I had to. And that was with very worn completely dead strings still on it.

The B-Quad case on Reverb.com has ended and is for a 5 string but doesn't look like it was sold. I checked with mine and the 5 string does not fit in a 4 string case. The 4 stringer will obviously fit in the 5 string case albeit not a tight fit.

https://reverb.com/item/5057861-peavey-b-quad-5-bass-case?show_sold=true

@artto ; Wow thanks for the post info and advice :) the delay on your fretless neck is crazy im kind of gobsmacked that someone working for a manufactuer like peavey on a custom build wouldn't know that an unlined fretless neck was a wanted feature not a fault  !
    but it does sound "The Dogs Bollocks" as we sometimes say over this side of the pond, i bet that raise's a few eyebrows no matter the genre of music your gigging on when it comes out the case.

Now this is going to sound a bit strange (it might be one of those universal alignment/glitch in the matrix things) but after a guy on ebay messaged me to ask if i could take sometime to check out the PCB/output on this B-quad for him,i was poking around the web looking for the pdf manual of the b-quad when i came across your old post (i think it was the on talkbass) describing like you did above how the b-quad you'ed tried had rang a bell and prompted you to fall back in love with playing......now after reading that post i decided to sit and spend some proper time with the B-quad not just checking out the "tone network"options and it's the first time ive spent more that about 10 mins in the past 8 years or so with a bass in my hands only to find out that i was right as to why i wanted one of these basses all thoughs years ago, it just has "that sound" ...so no you find out that you have infact been the reason ive decided remove this bass from sale, which as i say is a little bit strange.....hummm

Going back to BB's playing have you ever seen this video ? some great stuff on it (not sure about those brown pants though)

I just dug out all my old VHS to DVD rips i did years ago and decided to put the BB BackStagePass through some cleanup and recolouring proceses, i can not find this VHS (mine in the loft) or a complete rip of it anywhere online (there is about 5mins of it on YT) Gives a shout if your interested in watching it and i'll try and get it uploaded for you (that's if BB doesn't mind)

Also I managed to pop to my workshop this afternoon and dig out that wilko bridge, i recall these are also crazy rare and hard to pick up now? last one i saw on ebay uk went for £120 / $150

been thinking tonight that maybe this should go into onto a self custom built BB (b-quad shape,deans are too pointy and carvins are to fat i think) inspired fretless, but i think i'll need lines on mine though ;)

Ive been building guitars and basses for about 15 or so years (nothing for other folks apart from a few guitar bodys) & my current build is a headless vaderalike guitar with LED side markers

I did build by hand for a long time but about 18 months ago i got a selfbuild/desktop CNC setup which is really great at getting what i design onscreen directly out of the wood, so a b-quad shape should really put it to a good test.

First thing im going to kick up for this B-quad is a CNC'ed Ramp section for between the pups as that was something i found helped on a few other models of  bass i used to play & stop me digging in so much (and dam the b-quad has a bit of depth to dig into) i'll let you know how the ramp goes and if it comes out well and you fancy one i can runn you one up as a thanks :)

Cheers
    Gizmo

Hey Steve, Thanks for jogging my memory!! Your mention of that old BB VHS video rang a bell. I forgot all about a bunch of old VHS instructional videos I had tucked away in a storage cabinet. When I saw your post I thought “hey, I think I have that one. And I do (smile)

Funny thing is I haven’t used VHS in so long it took me about an hour to get things working again, LOL, but yes, I have that video. Forgot all about it. Thanks!

You know what I found interesting about the video immediately? His bass. It’s not a B-Quad. It’s a forerunner of what was to come in the B-Quad. The body shape is there. However, the interesting thing for me are the pickups on that bass. It’s the same pickup configuration I love on my other very favorite bass, the mid-90’s Shur era Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass which has a standard P pickup & a double jazz humbucker (like a Sting Ray) in the bridge position. What’s funny about that is I had a pair of B-Quads before I had one of those kind of P-bass. But this video predates the B-Quad by at least 3 years. If I had to choose only ONE bass to live with I don’t really know which I would choose. Completely different sounds and feel. Can’t really swap one out for the other.

Also Rick Turner is on that video. I’m going to have to get hold of Brian again and ask him more about those instruments. (3 or more cables coming out of them).

I’ll have to watch the whole video but can’t right now as we’re digging out of a major snow storm here in Chicago.

Oh ---- and WOW to you – making your own instruments. NICE!!!

• bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    One of the most informative sales thread ever.  I have really enjoyed this.  Thanks guys
    bassbora said:
    One of the most informative sales thread ever.  I have really enjoyed this.  Thanks guys
    haha might need to spin this off into aother thread! Modds? ;) again /bow to @artto for his reply and insight

I remembered waybackwhen that BB had a load of his B-quad/Dean and custom builds in his website gallery section & that current one doesn't feature any of these pic's at all (im guesssing it's a carvin sig gig thing) so i went out for a poke about in some archives...& few B-quad prototype builds were missing pics but these are the ones i found backups of.

Very interesting the changes in the body profile and horn thickness lower horn turn, anyone know if thats a EQ on the dean 3rd from the bottom? I have a Bass player issue back from 93 and there was a very nice artical on the b-quad and brian, i'll see if i can find it out and grab a scan of it.

Hope you keeping safe in that snow storm @artto it's been over 10 years since we had anything like that in my area and looking at it on the news it pretty heavy, hope it passes for you without issue.

Holy Cow. Where did you find all those B-Quad(ish) bass? That’s incredible. I had no idea there were so many variations.

I finally watched the whole Bromberg video (Advanced Techniques). I ran across a 2002 interview where I got the impression he doesn’t like that video so that’s probably why we don’t see it around any more. And in all honesty, it doesn’t really cover much on the subject matter in the title.

So, from the video, it appears that Rick Turner was involved with the B-Quad from the beginning, well before Peavey took on the project. And Bob Mick is also mentioned/credited. I believe Bob Mick made the first B-Quad prototypes and eventually wound up at Peavey. I’m pretty sure he’s the guy who found out what happened to my no fret lines 5 string neck. I’m also pretty sure he worked on my first B-Quad when I sent it back for some service. He re-crowned the frets for me free of charge as he was surprised to see so much wear already. I played the hell out that bass.

Those basses are from brian's site circa 2006 as i recall, there were a few more on the preview gallery page but the larger pic's hadn't been archived or were damaged, im guessing the reason they aren't on brian's site atm is the sig gig with Carvin (i guess they might not want brian's fans lusting after old basses ;) )

I dug out an old issue of bass player from 1993 with a pretty goo BB interview, i was just getting into fusion about this time (i played hard rock and billy sheen & john myung & stu hamm were my fav players) and i just could not get any of brian's music at that time here in the UK, i had to order all his back catalog from the states via HMV and it took about 2 months to arrive (now i can DL all of them in less than 2mins lol)

Infact brian's description of his Zebra wood Bob Mick bass ("it's like a machine gun") as seen in that VHS vid and below right

is the reason i go into building,(and lusting after a B-quad) my first bass build was a 6 string headless zebra wood body/neck SC with a burl maple top, it took me 2 years on and off i had zero clue on how to build anything(apart from PC's) and bought all the tools and wood's as i needed them,TBH it's like hanging a battleship on your shoulders and could do with a few tweaks here and there now i have better tools and more skills but dam it sustains for days and has almost that B-quad Snappyness to it just because of the density of the wood....did i say it's heavy ;)

I caught a post by Rick Turner at talkbass the other day and well lets just say he wasn't to jazz'ed about how the B-Qaud project turned out, i think the quote "thrown under the bus" was used! I'll see if i can re-find the post.

Dam pretty cool that BM worked on your bass, to me that's as cool as brian OK'ing your fretless mods !

I'll ask a mod to spin this thread off to the bass section, might be a better place for this evolved discusion ;)

Laters
    Gizmo

BTW If you just chance to talk with BB extend my thanks for making such as super bass (and super music on them) and please ask him to re-shoot pic's of all his personal B-quad's and Bob Micjk builds for us ;)

Nice to see you still have those old Bass Player magazines. I threw mine out years ago. I should have kept the B-Quad issue. Take a look through that magazine for a John Entwhistle ad. He was wearing a orange/tan leather coat. I look just like him. AND I also have a coat like that, almost identical. Scary when I see that ad. Actually confuses me for a moment. LOL

After watching the video I’m pretty sure Bob Mick made all or most of Bromberg’s prototypes. I suspect Rick Turner got involved a little later. When I spoke with Tuner about getting a replacement piezo saddle he explained a few things to me about how things went with the B-Quad project & Peavey. I won’t post here what he said. He wasn’t vulgar or anything. Let’s just say it was one of his life’s more memorable experiences and leave it at that. In a 2002 BB interview BB mentions that the B-Quad project at Peavey kind of fell short of his expectations, dare I say, because of Peavey. OTOH I’m not sure the later versions from Dean or Kiesel ever matched the original B-Quad. I’ve never played any of them, but they certainly don’t seem to be equipped with the same level of performance from both the neck and electronics. I mean really, what are you going to find an instrument like the B-Quad – Modulus graphite neck with an ultra fast contour that Modulus never used on their own instruments, Rick Turner designed electronics, solid hard rock maple body, all USA made – for what B-Quad are selling for?

I got my first BB CD (self titled, 1993) directly from him – autographed, of course  :3

Hey Gizmo. I'm still interested in this bass. I sent you a PM.