Mixing an album - need someone who can do it remotely

What's Hot
Hello all,

I have an album worth of tracks by an old band that I’d like to finally get mixed. The tracks are now 8 years old and were recorded in nuendo (I think). They were, to be brutally honest, badly recorded and are quite fragmented. The drums were badly midified in the box after recording. The organisation of the files is a mess just because the original studio was not really run by a logical mind. On top of that most of the songs have 1 or two tracks per instrument and a couple of vocal tracks then 40 keyboard tracks..

Recognising the challenge, I’m wondering if there are people who can do this kind of thing remotely...I’d like to get this collection of songs finished and finally put to bed.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited February 2021
    I would be happy to. PM on its way.

I would also be very happy for others to have a go as well as me.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I'll PM you.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Another PM incoming!
  • Oh wow, this is a great idea and lovely that people are helping out! Let us hear the results @Moe_Zambeek! I’m at the tail-end of finishing up my 2nd album and wonder if it would be better having someone else mix it
  • Thanks to all who have PM'd. I am now working out how to export from Nuendo and will be in touch shortly. 

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Thanks to all who have PM'd. I am now working out how to export from Nuendo and will be in touch shortly. 

:)
    No worries - if you need some assistance let me know. Could jump on a remote desktop session and walk you through it if you get stuck. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Do you fancy giving up a track for the
    mix challenge? Always need material for that!.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    poopot said:
    Do you fancy giving up a track for the
    mix challenge? Always need material for that!.
    I don’t mind taking a look at one to see what’s what. I’ve got a decent credential list. iTunes singles of the week a few times, quite a bit of play on Radio 1. Zane Lowes hottest record a couple of times etc.  Also definitely the above. Would be a fun little comp and you get lots of mixes to cast your ear over. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Coming back to this to apologise to those who commented and volunteered. I had a go at exporting tracks and ended up tied in knots. The size of the files was unmanageable.

However the main issue was really getting anyone else in the band interested. In fact the response was mostly negative so I came to the conclusion it would be a fairly pointless labour of love (and expense) for me, and I wouldn’t expect anyone else to expend their time on that basis.

So thanks all for the interest and support.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    At the end of the day, it is all a labour of love really.Seems a shame to let a lot of hard work live on as a selection of tracks on a hard drive, but when it comes down to it, it is all about the song.
    It sounds a lot like there was a fair bit of indecision when recording, which has resulted in option paralysis.
    A single rendered stem would be coming out at about 60meg per stem, so file size is not really a problem these days, but expecting every recorded part to be present in the final mix will be unrealistic.
    There is a fair bit of satisfaction to be had from having a finished track / album out in the wild, and it has taken me 18 months from publication, to finally see my last effort showing in the PRS register, but it is nice to see that as the end of a journey, completion.
    If I was the songwriter of the songs, I would have added incentive, as a poorly recorded version is still a valuable asset, but there will not be much recognition of the drummer- for example.
    All about the song, and effort spent on releasing a good one is not time wasted.
    With that in mind, it can be easier to be less attached to a bad recording, and it can be seen as a demo stage.