Flatwound strings on a USA Fender P-Bass

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4947
I can get a set of D'Addario Chromes fairly easily here in Ireland.  Without the €15.00 post and packaging charges that Thomann apply!  I play mainly Country with an Irish flavour, so would these strings give me the Country/Upright Bass sounds that I hope to achieve.  The bass is strung with the roundwounds that were fitted in the factory.  To my ears, they sound a bit 'zippy' and are hard on my fingers.  I use a home made foam damper at the bridge to reduce the zippiness.

I asked a similar question several months ago.. The many responses only showed that most available flatwound string sets have their adherents, all of which showed that flats will work on a P-Bass, but I ended up confused by the responses and did nothing about changing from the rounds.

Thanks in advance guyys.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Chromes are bright at first and then do full down to a very pleasing thump on a P bass. 

I pretty much use chromes exclusively now and they sound really nice on fretless. 

Try some. If you don’t like them you can sell them. That’s the thing about bass strings - there’s a used market.
  • I used to use the black nylon wound flatwounds years ago, they gave a nice solid 'thump' from new. I haven't seen any for years though and don't know if they are still available.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    I think that I have Fender flats on my AV63 P Bass. (They have been on quite a while!

Flats on a Precision is THE original electric bass guitar sound. It appears on more recordings than anyone on this forum could shake a stick at - even the grumpiest, old farts.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flats on a P is always good. I stopped paying for flats when I found dirty rounds with the tone rolled back was close enough, because I am cheap, and have fingers like bricks now.
    Flats are comfier and sound great. Do it.
  • It'll definitely give you that sound you're after as well, though you may need to wind back the tone a bit.
    I used my P-bass like this for a folk band I was in while my upright needed fixing, it was close enough for jazz (well folk)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    Thomastik TI flats live on my P bass.
    Currently well under RRP on Amazon.

Still expensive really, but I have got over 5 years out of a set.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • garfygarfy Frets: 143
    +1 for Thomastik flats, love em on my P bass 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    I have always used Chromes on my ‘73 Precision. I use it mainly for country and big band. There is definitely a hint of upright bass in the sound, which is fat and woody. Definitely worth a try @Rocker ;
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass 45-105.

• If you want old school thump without breaking the bank, Elites Detroit flats are decent enough. 

The Swamp City Shakers
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    jpfamps said:

La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass 45-105.

i've just ordered these for my old tokai p.  i would have liked to go for the heavy 52-110 (?) original gauges but i'm not much of a bass player so will try to work up to the heavier gauge. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    The heavier LaBella DTB strings are fine if you have the finger strength of a long-serving upright bassist. i.e. James Jamerson and his preference for a ridiculously high action on his Fender Precision Bass.
    Be seeing you.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

The Jap '62 reissue you sold me in 2014 still has it's set on and they're still going strong! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    As I just bought the sheet music for this lot I thought I'd share the playlist of one of the finest P bass players ever.
    Precision + La bella strings + foam mute

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2VThsbR1aAtdtwJ1BpB5gj?si=4fefa68d2bdf4c07

All the sheets are in the book "Standing in the Shadows of Motown"

sticker said:

The Jap '62 reissue you sold me in 2014 still has it's set on and they're still going strong! 
    Then I refer you to Ed Friedman's instruction... "You should change your bass strings every 10 years... whether they need it or not!"

Nearly there!
    Also - was it really that long ago? Blimey!
  • I put TI flats on my build last year. They're barely broken in and sound great. 

I wonder whether I might like rounds for more rocky stuff, but I try not to overthink it on bass...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    I searched for Thomastick flats and found JF 344, set of four. The packet is labelled Jazz, are they the strings that are referred to as TI?  Thanks. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Yep, that's the one. "Jazz flat" 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Rocker said:
    I searched for Thomastick flats and found JF 344, set of four. The packet is labelled Jazz, are they the strings that are referred to as TI?  Thanks. 
    Yes. TI = "Thomastik Infeld" is the company name.

Do shop around for prices - they vary a great deal.