Hanging acoustics on walls.

What's Hot
rogdrogd Frets: 1509
I have always been wary of hanging acoustic guitars on walls. Quite apart from the obvious danger of them dropping off, what about variations in temperature.
 I have generally kept them in their case but opinions and advice seem to vary wildly.
 What are your thoughts on this?
Roger.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Thousands hang in shops across the world for weeks/months/years in various climates. 

I really wouldn't worry about it 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    I don’t hang any guitars on walls, it’s just not my thing.  I tend to have an electric and an acoustic out on stands so I can play em.  The rest live in their cases.  It’s the best environment for them, in terms of humidity, temperature and the possibility of getting knocked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Open the window every so often, hang your washing up in the same room if you have central heating, play them a lot.  No real problems with Uk temps and humidity.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    My electrics are in cases/bags and I have one under the sofa!  My acoustic which is all solid has been on the wall in the lounge for 18 months or so with no obvious issues. 
  • Trouble with cases is, unless you live in a mansion, there will rarely be room to keep them where you play them. That and the general faff of swapping cased instruments would make me less likely to play them, I think. I usually play three or four different (wall-hung) instruments a day.

Of course, none of that has to be a plus point. I just like to see them on my walls and to be close at hand. If you're asking because you feel the same way, then I'd say crack on. The biggest drawback is the cost of decent wall hangers, but a guitar on a stand is often an accident waiting to happen. Here's an article on the subject: https://acousticguitar.com/ask-the-expert-is-it-safe-to-hang-my-guitar-on-the-wall/
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
    I’ve been doing it for a few years and never had a problem...touch wood. As long as you use half decent wall hangers and good quality screws and plugs I’m sure you’ll be fine. 

• richman6100richman6100 Frets: 331
    All my acoustics hang in internal walls and I've never had a problem. I did buy a humidity meter as I had no idea how close to ideal (45%-55%) my house would be. To my surprise, even with the changes in season, heating on/off, the humidity always hovers around 50%, give or take. So I stopped worrying and enjoyed having them easily to hand. None of my guitars are stored in cases, I wouldn't play them much if they were. I'm lazy like that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    My Gibson lives on a wall hanger too. It's an internal wall, I tested the hanger literally with my own weight - I think I'd risk hanging a Norlin Les Paul on it ;) - and I hang it so there's a gap between the back of the guitar and the wall.

If anything I think it sounds better than when I used to keep it in the case. The only issue at all is that I have to dust it sometimes...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

The only issue at all is that I have to dust it sometimes...

This. The only downside is the occasional need to dust. That and the fact that my wife isn't exactly thrilled with 13 guitars hanging on walls around the house.  :-)
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 72
    I put all of mine up on the walls a couple of years ago and I've never played more than I do now. I just love having them so accessible. The UK climate means that I don't have to worry too much about humidity etc, but I do have to accept more changes in neck relief as a result of the temp changes on a week to week basis.

I wouldn't have had the space to do it on guitar stands and I'd also have been more worried about accidental damage. Wall hanging has kept them safe to date. 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I have mine on Hercules wall hangers - including five of the long-armed kind on rotating heads which allows me put them safely at an angle with each one just 28 cm apart. This has the added benefit of being able to show off the sides of the guitar as well as the front.

I have a humidity and temperature monitor in the room and have never had an issue with changing neck relief. I obviously keep them away from sunlight.

I agree with ICBM about the dusting - and the constant visible reminder for my wife to ask me if I really need that many guitars.

The Hercules supports mounted directly into a solid (in my case brick) wall feel very secure. 
  •  This is heartening to read. I was always really nervous of putting guitars on the wall because of humidity/temp changes. I mean I do use the heating on occasion, and even resort to an AC in summer sometimes because I can't deal with anything over about 25 lol.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5274

The only downside is the occasional need to dust. That and the fact that my wife isn't exactly thrilled with 13 guitars hanging on walls around the house.  :-)

Just explain to her that 13 is unlucky and bad things might happen. You need another one to make it a nice, safe 14. Better make it a couple more, just in case. 

(You next unlucky number is 87, so you should be OK for a while yet.)

• AqmltdAqmltd Frets: 16
    ICBM said:

This. The only downside is the occasional need to dust. That and the fact that my wife isn't exactly thrilled with 13 guitars hanging on walls around the house.  :-)
    Sounds like you need a new wife
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    The dusting requirement is an added benefit.  It tells you how long since you last played that one, and encourages you to do so :) 
    Aqmltd said:
    ICBM said:

Sounds like you need a new wife
    I'll pass on your wisdom to her. Run far, run fast...  :-)
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited March 2021
    Mrs M got all (my) our guitars hanging on walls round the house bar 2 that are out on stands,14 in total ( I think) The only downside is where to store the bloody cases!

Edited to appease Mrs M!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I have quite a humidity swing, 38% in winter, 60% in summer. Guitars hanging on the walls, require very regular tuning and there is a little change in action and neck relief, but not enough for me to actually do anything about it. 

I really like them on the wall - better than art and makes them very accessible.
  • mikewmikew Frets: 16
    I hung my (then) fave guitar (Taylor W14) on the wall in our living room. Had been there for a year or so. Winter comes and heating cranked up more than usual as I was seen as miserly by the visiting MIL. Come down one day to see a big crack down centre of soundboard. 
    I sent to the Taylor centre in Amsterdam and all repaired and rehumidified. £400 poorer but crack is invisible and played better than ever. It was all too dry. So if you value your acoustic (or have a v expensive one) don’t hang it on the wall for too long. That said, it’s true that if they’re in cases you don’t play as much. I now have a rack of cases with all my acoustics in, all with humidifiers inside that makes access a bit easier. Wife hates it but now just accepts it. I keep meaning to rotate them on a hanger but can’t get around to it/ remain worried. Once bitten and all....
  • RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    I keep all mine in their cases and have just become accustomed to having to remove them. I control the temperature and humidity of the room they’re in. 

That said, I’d prefer to be able to see them. Will not use hangers, as all the walls in that room are exterior walls. 

So have looked into display cabinets, but they’re all super expensive. Does anyone know of any UK-based company that builds them at relatively decent prices?

I found these, but they are expensive:

https://audinni.com/products/guitar-cabinet

(£1750 + delivery for 4 guitars)