Hanging acoustics on walls.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    mikew said:
    I hung my (then) fave guitar (Taylor W14) on the wall in our living room. Had been there for a year or so. Winter comes and heating cranked up more than usual as I was seen as miserly by the visiting MIL. Come down one day to see a big crack down centre of soundboard. 
    I sent to the Taylor centre in Amsterdam and all repaired and rehumidified. £400 poorer but crack is invisible and played better than ever. It was all too dry. So if you value your acoustic (or have a v expensive one) don’t hang it on the wall for too long. That said, it’s true that if they’re in cases you don’t play as much. I now have a rack of cases with all my acoustics in, all with humidifiers inside that makes access a bit easier. Wife hates it but now just accepts it. I keep meaning to rotate them on a hanger but can’t get around to it/ remain worried. Once bitten and all....
    Or, seeing as it appears to be the cause, don’t turn your heating up really high once in a blue moon , and not use / check your guitar ?

That’s not a hanging issue

mind you, disappointing the mother in law might be ... ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    Ricjo said:
    I keep all mine in their cases and have just become accustomed to having to remove them. I control the temperature and humidity of the room they’re in. 

That said, I’d prefer to be able to see them. Will not use hangers, as all the walls in that room are exterior walls. 

So have looked into display cabinets, but they’re all super expensive. Does anyone know of any UK-based company that builds them at relatively decent prices?

I found these, but they are expensive:

https://audinni.com/products/guitar-cabinet

(£1750 + delivery for 4 guitars)
    Try here https://www.stand-made.co.uk/  ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4123
    edited March 2021
    I have two good acoustics which are lightly built, very thinly finished and I can definitely tell a difference in sound and playability if they get overly humidified - and not even to crazy extremes...the difference between their happy place of 45% - 50% and 60% - 65% is material enough for me to want to avoid it. So they live in their cases. My little L'arrivee Parlor seems entirely impervious to temperature and humidity so that hangs on the wall. 

Things like temperature and humidity fluctuations aren't a problem...until they are. So many tales of woe out there along the Iines of "this has never happened to me before and I've always kept my guitars out on stands" or "it hasn't been a problem on my Takamine so why have I got a crack on my Bourgeois?" ... I'd just feel like such a dick if something happened and all it would have taken to avoid it was opening and shutting a case before and after playing.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 72
    It’s not just a case (no pun intended) of avoiding opening and closing a guitar case. The guitars can all be hung in my main playing room taking up little space, there would be no way of storing them all in the room if they were in cases. 
  • RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    edited March 2021
    Benm39 said:
    Thanks! Though is seems the only make stands. What I'd really like is an enclosed cabinet.
    Lewy said:
    I have two good acoustics which are lightly built, very thinly finished and I can definitely tell a difference in sound and playability if they get overly humidified - and not even to crazy extremes...the difference between their happy place of 45% - 50% and 60% - 65% is material enough for me to want to avoid it. So they live in their cases. My little L'arrivee Parlor seems entirely impervious to temperature and humidity so that hangs on the wall. 

Things like temperature and humidity fluctuations aren't a problem...until they are. So many tales of woe out there along the Iines of "this has never happened to me before and I've always kept my guitars out on stands" or "it hasn't been a problem on my Takamine so why have I got a crack on my Bourgeois?" ... I'd just feel like such a dick if something happened and all it would have taken to avoid it was opening and shutting a case before and after playing.
    I have the exact experience: my Martin 000-18 is very sensitive to humidity and plays and sounds so much better at around 40-45 than it does at higher humidity levels. This difference is immense and it's amazing how noticeable it is. However, I too have a Larrivee Parlour and like you, it doesn't suffer from any changes. My dreadnought does, although it's not as noticeable as the 000.

• mikewmikew Frets: 16
    sev112 said:
    mikew said:
    I hung my (then) fave guitar (Taylor W14) on the wall in our living room. Had been there for a year or so. Winter comes and heating cranked up more than usual as I was seen as miserly by the visiting MIL. Come down one day to see a big crack down centre of soundboard. 
    I sent to the Taylor centre in Amsterdam and all repaired and rehumidified. £400 poorer but crack is invisible and played better than ever. It was all too dry. So if you value your acoustic (or have a v expensive one) don’t hang it on the wall for too long. That said, it’s true that if they’re in cases you don’t play as much. I now have a rack of cases with all my acoustics in, all with humidifiers inside that makes access a bit easier. Wife hates it but now just accepts it. I keep meaning to rotate them on a hanger but can’t get around to it/ remain worried. Once bitten and all....
    Or, seeing as it appears to be the cause, don’t turn your heating up really high once in a blue moon , and not use / check your guitar ?

That’s not a hanging issue

mind you, disappointing the mother in law might be ... ;)
    I should point out the heating was on higher by 2 degrees for a month before it cracked, not an overnight sudden blast. So I still remain very cautious as it clearly dried out over a period of time. 
    I suppose there're two issues, namely temp changes and humidity. Temp changes are relatively quick, humidity less so I would have thought.
  • mikewmikew Frets: 16
    So I’ve monitored the temp and humidity in the 2 downstairs rooms in my house. Of note it’s a stone built Victorian house of 160 yrs age. The temp fluctuates from 14 -18 during the day dependent on heating on or off (stone walls suck the heat out very fast). The humidity varies between 40-55% across 24 hours. 
    I’m quite surprised by the humidity fluctuation in that time. None of the doors fit properly (another ‘feature’ of an old house) so I can’t isolate that room to control the temp or humidity. 
    So I’m taking the middle ground of hanging a couple on rotation for a week or so. 
    It’s just occured to me that I didn’t even think when I bought a guitar just last week from someone on this forum that was hung on their wall. It’s great and I’ve hung it up for now..... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Ricjo said:

So have looked into display cabinets, but they’re all super expensive. Does anyone know of any UK-based company that builds them at relatively decent prices?
    These look neat, but so far I've only seen them for electric guitars: https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-guitar-display-case-tweed