Flatwound strings

What's Hot
I dislike the squeek you get with round wound strings and I've out a set of Rotosound flatwounds on my acoustic but the bass is DEAD.

I've ordered a set of D'addario flat tops but they are not cheap. Is there anything else out there that folks have used that aren't going to cost a bundle?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KristoKristo Frets: 123
    Newtone Double wrap strings are good for getting rid of the noise. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    Thanx.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 728
    I only use flat wound 'Chromes' for archtop playing if that's any help. D'addario ECG24 which is probably what you've already found. I think any flat wound strings might have slightly odd base tone on any other types of instrument but I'm not absolutley sure so I hope you find what your looking for. Interesting question.

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Thomastik infeld plectrum are very good for this, 5th, 4th and 3rd are flatwound. Tone is lovely. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Elixirs also squeak less, especially the original Polywebs - personally I absolutely hate the slippery feel, but they may suit you. They also sound bright and stay that way for ages. (Again I dislike them, they sound thin as well to me, but that isn’t a universal opinion.)

I don’t think I’d use flatwounds on a flat-top acoustic, I would expect them to sound very dull and dead, but I could possibly be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

danishbacon said: I don’t think I’d use flatwounds on a flat-top acoustic, I would expect them to sound very dull and dead, but I could possibly be wrong.

Afraid you are absolutely right. That's my problem.

• DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
    it's been over a year since I played acoustic but Thomastik infeld plectrum sounded and felt great only old Yamaha APX 9C ...
    Thomastik infeld plectrum are very good for this, 5th, 4th and 3rd are flatwound. Tone is lovely. 

Ordered them although the string gauges are a bit odd. Went on the treble strings as they are said to be low tension. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks all.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073

Ordered them although the string gauges are a bit odd. Went on the treble strings as they are said to be low tension. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks all.
    I think only certain gauges have flat wounds. The 13s I use don't. 
    Finally got round to fitting a set of D'addario flat tops. Frankly, not impressed. They don't squeek much less, the surface seems gritty and hard on the finger ends. At nearly three times the price of normal P{B strings, I don't think I'll be buying any more.

Next?
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Santa Cruz strings are well regarded. Only tried one set so far, but they sound great.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 459
    Kristo said:
    Newtone Double wrap strings are good for getting rid of the noise. 
    +1 for Newtone Doubles. I have a set of these on an arch top that I play a lot unplugged. They do a good job of keeping detail in the bass and cut the squeak a fair bit too.