Acoustasonics: Are they only for plugging in?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
Since Fender have released the Acoustasonic Jazzmaster, are they for plugging in only or do they work well unplugged?  Ive prob asked this question before but I do wonder what the overall point is if you can bearly hear them unplugged?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4123
    edited March 2021
    They work marginally better than playing, say, a 335 unplugged but they really aren't acoustic instruments in that sense. Fine for sofa noodling. That's based on experience of the tele. The bigger body on the JM may be better.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5265
    I haven't figured out what they are for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    I’ve got one and thankfully have worked out what they are for. I play songs on it! 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 911
    edited March 2021
    Tannin said:
    They're the answer to a problem that no one knew existed
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I have never tried one but from hearing video reviews I really don't like the sound of them - think they sound thin and not too life-like. Plus, I really don't like the look of them. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I'm ok with the looks of them, plugged in they sound pretty good but not plugged in would be a struggle to hear it in an acoustic duo with no monitoring or the pa in front of you. However, prob amazing in a full band set up with decent monitoring
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    mrkb said:
    I’ve got one and thankfully have worked out what they are for. I play songs on it! 
    Do you find them much more useable than an acoustic with a pickup? Do you like the electric sounds?
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    edited March 2021
    I've had one for a while. I was surprised how decent the unplugged sound was for practicing at home. Overall, I think it's a very interesting guitar, and like the amplified sounds. As @Lewy mentioned in his original Thread on this guitar, it's useful to have an EQ Pedal to adjust the sonic output of an Acoustasonic. I've got the Koa Tele version, and the bass frequencies are a little prominent, though easily managed with my EQ Pedal. 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    A good preamp is a good idea as well. I've got some good recorded sounds with mine.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    AlbertC said:
    Tannin said:
    Great. I worked with an act who insisted on having a guitar to play and decided upon one of these. It didn't sound like an electric, it didn't sound like an acoustic. The FOH guy reckoned that it sounded like the proverbial bag of spanners being dropped down a lift shaft but more tinny and metallic. We gave her a Taylor, which by all the principles of pick up / guitar should have been the same, but sounded smooth, looked better and everyone was happy. 
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Tannin said:
    If you want something that has a neck that feels like an electric, but coupled with the heavy strings with a wound G of an acoustic, but without the good acoustic sound of a proper size acoustic and with a pickup that sounds like crap with some mediocre built-in effects - and are happy to hand over £1.5k+   They're perfect for you.

If I wanted an electric-feeling guitar that could sound like an acoustic, i'd buy a Parker or similar piezo-equipped electric and then put together some acoustic pedals to improve it. Boss AD-2 would fit the bill nicely.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    I had an Ibanez Talman that was a similar concept from many many years ago, think I sold it for about £150 a couple of years back. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    Not sure I understand the point of these other than if you have the disposable income to try one.
    I suppose if you are touring and want a swiss army knife type guitar then I get it but down the dog and duck? Maybe. I suppose it would do everything but they look ugly as...
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    AlbertC said:
    Tannin said:
    The problem of what to give Nile Rodgers to endorse next.

[This space for rent]

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited March 2021
    https://www.peachguitars.com/fender-acoustasonic-jazzmaster/ - there's a brief explaination at the beginning here
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    Open-minded bunch, eh? :)

Out of interest, how many people here have actually played one, and with enough time to give it a proper go, not just an open G on one setting before walking off? Not that I'm a staunch defender of the things (apart from the new JM they're all pretty fugly, for a start, to my eyes) but I can see uses for them. Not uses where you couldn't use something else entirely, but situations where just wandering in with one thing to cover a few bases is a lot more convenient than having to cart in loads of kit.

Plus some people might just think they're a bit of fun (and have the money to spend on them).

And no, I haven't got one. I have played one (a little), and in a world where I had a lot more disposable income, or where they were significantly cheaper, I could find a use for one.

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I dont think its about being open minded or not, I think its about realistic applications for a near £1.5k spend on a guitar. In my duo, it prob would be utterly pointless unless we both had monitoring or some description. Otherwise, my Faith is much better in a real world application. 

That being said, for a home studio tool or large venue gigging tool it would be really good Id say. 

The Digital Modeller Of Acoustics... maybe 
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    If you want an acoustic guitar, get an acoustic guitar

if you want an electric guitar, get an electric guitar 

trying to do both in one guitar is always going to be compromised...

I watched a video on YouTube of billy strings playing one of these fender things and not even he could make it sound good

Just my opinion, but I can think of better things to be dropping £1.5k on
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    Ola seems to have found the answers we ahve all been looking for:

• BorkBork Frets: 252
    Jetfire said:
    I think its about realistic applications for a near £1.5k spend on a guitar. 
    FFS, you could build one for half that.

[This space for rent]