Small mixer to audio interface or straight to computer?Recommendations?

What's Hot
Hi all, I have been looking around at some small mixers for recording acoustic or vocal, but adding EQ before the computer.
I have seen e.g. a Behringer 502 model with and without USB.

I assume the model with USB would act as the audio interface, and the non USB model could connect to the line of the audio interface?

I would like to have the option of connecting a synth using a stereo output potentially as well.

Any advice on what to buy? A USB version? Non USB mixer? Mackie have some basic ones as well, so I am thinking one or the other. Nothing fancy needed.

I can't see how to connect the non USB Behringer 502 for example...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Why do you wish to add EQ before the computer?  If you are working in a DAW then, unless you are spending serious money on a hardware EQ, you'll get much better results EQing 'in the box' at the mixing stage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    Musicwolf said:
    Why do you wish to add EQ before the computer?  If you are working in a DAW then, unless you are spending serious money on a hardware EQ, you'll get much better results EQing 'in the box' at the mixing stage.
    Ah, hmm....
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    What he says is true, and it's "the modern way" but not necessarily for everyone. There's something to be said for committing to a sound at the time you record instead of leaving everything to a 'change it later' approach. That's certainly more flexible, but can add to option paralysis.

As for a small mixer, I use a little Mackie 402 (which I think was recommended here). Works like a charm and has the mic/line/guitar and stereo line for a synth, too. I have line outs running to the stereo audio interface and the audio interface's outputs run to the monitors.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    For mixer I use a little Yamaha MG06.  It 's great, -  means I can connect a Keyboard, and my boss GT1000 to the mixer, and then user the outputs direct to my pc monitors  and a feed to my USB interface and a DXR10. 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited March 2021
    Define small lol.

I used a Soundcraft 12MTK for a couple of years, but its not small.    I recently changed to an interface in the form of a Focusrite 18i20.  I miss the sliders and EQ (though mainly the EQ was used when p[laying straight into mixer then to monitors not recording) BUT its more streamlined and elegant solution.

If your not bothered about pre recorded EQ - Id go for a Focusrite 2i2 giving you a stereo in option - or a 4i4 if you want to permanently have the synth connected while still playing guitar/vox.    If you want a mixer - you need to decide if your just sending a stereo feed from the main outs - or if you want to record individual tracks together.  Some USB mixers can do the latter all will do the former (and why I went with the MTK12 over the Yamaha MG12)
    At the moment I am only using the audio interface via usb to laptop and headphones to audio interface.
    I don’t have monitors currently .
  • I use an Alto ZMX52 compact mixer to do online guitar lessons. I run my xlr mic for talking, my Kemper direct and a phone for backing music, mix then send to my Focusrite into the computer. Works for what I need it to do. I monitor using the Focusrite.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3595
    edited March 2021
    My Yamaha MG10XU is a great, versatile mixer and interface. Can do more than just input to a DAW if you have a variety of kit to use. I keep a couple of synths and my hardware sequencer plugged in all the time.
    goldtop said:
    What he says is true, and it's "the modern way" but not necessarily for everyone. There's something to be said for committing to a sound at the time you record instead of leaving everything to a 'change it later' approach. That's certainly more flexible, but can add to option paralysis.

As for a small mixer, I use a little Mackie 402 (which I think was recommended here). Works like a charm and has the mic/line/guitar and stereo line for a synth, too. I have line outs running to the stereo audio interface and the audio interface's outputs run to the monitors.
    I was looking at that as well, or the Mix5.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'm inclined to agree with @Musicwolf - the EQ on something like a Behringer 502 is not of a particularly high quality and not likely to do you any real favours.

While a lot of classic recordings (and great records made nowadays) commited to a sound on the way in, but it's a little different when you're in a great sounding room and tracking a U47 through a Neve pre in to a Pultec EQ and an 1176 limiter.

I'm a big fan of the method, but it only really works if the stuff you pass through on the way in sounds bloody great to start with! 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    I just went a different way, but that's probably because I'm more old school really.  I picked up an Allen & Heath GL 2400 32 channel mixer to use.  I got it for a really good price and I have enough analogue I-O to patch in 16 tracks in and out from the DAW, and I have enough external synths and other feeds for the other 16 channels.   Each channel has direct out and also there is really good monitoring and routing.

I may find that I prefer in the box mixing in the end, but this was such a good price that I don't think I'll lose out if I let it go.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I had space for such a beast - Id be right with you.....
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Start simple and as high as quality as you can afford.
    Aim to record the best quality of whatever you want to capture, if you need more than 2 simultaneous inputs, you will be hard pushed to get better bang for your buck than a Zoom R16, acts as a stand alone recorder or an 8 input interface to record into a DAW.
    Not the best converters, but it covers a lot of ground for not much money, very versatile.
    If you start to record by building up tracks from something like a Scarlett 2i2, you will soon come across the problems latency introduce, and that will quickly reveal any shortcomings in your path, so decide realistically what you want to achieve early on.
    Working in the box is fantastic, which is why you will be glad you captured the best quality at the start, the free VST eqs will far outstrip anything on a cheap mixer, and  money spent on a good mic is never wasted.
    Once you get on this train, it is hard to hold on when you get going, and I am always looking for ways to stay working if my equipment breaks, easy to spend a lot of money.
    A 32 channel mixer is great, if you have the facilities, but realistically, my electric bill went up £10 a month today, with no prospects of increasing my earnings any time soon, first world problems and that.
    Take your time researching what you need, and make the most of what you have got, is probably the best advice I can offer.
    Have fun, that's what it is all about really, and it comes out in the music.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    mike257 said:
    I'm inclined to agree with @Musicwolf - the EQ on something like a Behringer 502 is not of a particularly high quality and not likely to do you any real favours.

While a lot of classic recordings (and great records made nowadays) commited to a sound on the way in, but it's a little different when you're in a great sounding room and tracking a U47 through a Neve pre in to a Pultec EQ and an 1176 limiter.

I'm a big fan of the method, but it only really works if the stuff you pass through on the way in sounds bloody great to start with! 
    I’ve got a couple of Behringer’s and they work faultlessly one is a XEN X1222USB which is also a audio interface but I’ve not used that facility as yet.
    The other is much bigger and its name escapes me at the moment and I need to get up and go and look.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    Just been and looked.
    Its a Behringer SX3242FX .
    Above I say they work faultlessly and they have but both are still under a year old.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    My Yamaha MG10XU is a great, versatile mixer and interface. Can do more than just input to a DAW if you have a variety of kit to use. I keep a couple of synths and my hardware sequencer plugged in all the time.
    I'm looking at getting one of these to eliminate my Focusrite from the signal chain and just use the USB in so I only need one hardware device. If I was to send 3 inputs (xlr mic for speaking, guitar signal direct from Kemper and backing music off iPad) how does the self-monitoring thing work? As I had a couple of students get these sort of mixers but during a lesson only one of us could hear the mix. 

On channels 9/10 of the mixer apparently you have to push the USB button down to send everything to the computer, which I get, its the red stereo/monitor button part I don't understand, for me to hear it through earphones does it need to be pushed in or not?
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3595
    I'm looking at getting one of these to eliminate my Focusrite from the signal chain and just use the USB in so I only need one hardware device. If I was to send 3 inputs (xlr mic for speaking, guitar signal direct from Kemper and backing music off iPad) how does the self-monitoring thing work? As I had a couple of students get these sort of mixers but during a lesson only one of us could hear the mix. 

On channels 9/10 of the mixer apparently you have to push the USB button down to send everything to the computer, which I get, its the red stereo/monitor button part I don't understand, for me to hear it through earphones does it need to be pushed in or not?
    Yep... just use the stereo monitor outputs, rather than stereo output to your speakers for you all to hear all inputs.  The red button is out for this.

i overdub bass and keys DI without cans like that.  

Are you in the same space or teaching remotely?

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Oh, I just realised there’s 2 st/mon type buttons. There’s one on channel 9/10 and another by the right hand side above the monitor/phones knob. So the red is not pushed in but what about the other one? Apparently though it loops the signal of the person on the other side so it’d cause a loop back? I don’t use speakers at all if teaching online.

And yes same space recently reopened and now 70/30 in-person - online. I do my online lessons in there and one on my PC in my bedroom.