Recommendations please for 12 fret Acoustic

What's Hot
SammySammy Frets: 129
edited March 2021 in Acoustics
Suggestions please for a reasonable quality 12 fret acoustic, preferably looking for an 00 size, but would consider an OM if not too large.  Also 45mm / 1 3/4"  (not 1 11/16),  plus prefer shorter scale neck 24 7/8"  Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Waterloo WL-K, if you play fingerstyle. There's one for sale on here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SammySammy Frets: 129
    Waterloo WL-K, if you play fingerstyle. There's one for sale on here.

Should have put only really play with a pick, as mainly an electric player, so hardly play any fingerstyle. So really want something that sounds good struming plus good sound if playing solo runs etc.
  • Martin 00015sm nice for both.
    Martin 00015sm nice for both.

Thanks they sound good on YouTube but would prefer short scale neck, easier to play! ;)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Budget? 
    Sigmas L-00 copy is decent. Fits your bill and pretty affordable 
    Andy79 said:
    Budget? 
    Sigmas L-00 copy is decent. Fits your bill and pretty affordable 

Hi Andy Have tried Sigmas in the past, never found one that particulary sounded or played that great, looking for something a bit more up market, up to say £1,500 tops for a really nice used model. Then I can then leave it on a stand so it will get played, as won't be so concerned if it does get a slight knock, as I am with my Martin 00028, which I am currently looking to sell, as that just stays in its case being unplayed! :/  Plus also am finding my shoulder does tend to ache after playing a larger acoustic  for a while, from an op I had several years ago &/or down to getting older! ;)
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1509
    Have a look at used Larrivees.  Unlike Martins and Gibbys they tend to settle at a reasonable price used.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    The choices are limited for wide neck, short scale and 12 frets. Maybe concede something and put a Martin 000-17sm on the short list, tune down 1/2 step. Very good guitars 
    Gotta be thinking about that WL-K also
    Eastman higher end stuff but pretty sure they all have 11/16 necks
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    Guitarguitar have an offer on the Taylor 322 at - - - - - - - -  £1499.00. But they have yet to arrive. So you wouldn't need to be in a rush.

Just love the balance of that mahogany top.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3488
    Andy79 said:
    The choices are limited for wide neck, short scale and 12 frets. Maybe concede something and put a Martin 000-17sm on the short list, tune down 1/2 step. Very good guitars 
    The 12 fret Eastmans in production have the E10/20 and E10/20P have 1 13/16" wide nuts, with around 2 3/8" string spacing.

My E10-00 has an enormous neck, I think it's around an inch in depth at the first fret. As much as I like it, it is a finger style guitar, it can be a bit too much if played with a pick.
    Andy79 said:
    The 12 fret Eastmans in production have the E10/20 and E10/20P have 1 13/16" wide nuts, with around 2 3/8" string spacing.

My E10-00 has an enormous neck, I think it's around an inch in depth at the first fret. As much as I like it, it is a finger style guitar, it can be a bit too much if played with a pick.

Will have a look at the Martin 000-17sm on YouTube, but prefer myself not to tune down.

Re the E10-00 I have that on my list and also the E20-00 as both seem okay, but you say it is a finger style guitar, as a bit too much if played with a pick? Whilst I use pick, I am not a heavy real stuck in player thrashing out chords, I tend to play reasonably lightly on chord work and only dig in a bit more on single note playing, so surely either would be alright for me, as they do seem okay on some YouTube videos with someone using a pick?
    Also I have had an Eastman OM20 in the past, which had a lovely sweet sound, but was very quiet, so took it back to exchange as it had a mark on the side. The new one they had got in, sounded a lot louded but not as sweet sounding and we noticed it was also a lot lighter, plus the neck felt completely different, which I didn't like! Which shows these are hand finished and not just put on a machine churning out the same exact size! Anyway I wasn't happy with the replacement so exchanged it for a combo instead which I had been interested in and still have now to this day. B)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    edited March 2021
    I have an Eastman E10-OOM that I picked up used a couple of months ago.

They're discontinued but you might find one second hand. The "M" is for mahogany, which is obvious if you see it! If the 'hog top isn't a problem it would seem to cover most of your requirements: OO size, short scale, nut width (I just measured mine at 44.73mm so basically 1 3/4" as opposed to the wider 1 13/16" of the Eastman slotheads that seem to be aimed squarely at finger pickers).

Apologies for the crappy photo. What you can't see is that the mahogany is very flamed/figured - both on the top as well as the back and sides. I was a bit disappointed with this as I prefer a plainer look, like the Martin 15 series models. Still, this cost a fair bit less than a Martin and I like it more than the OO-15 and OOO-15 I played, albeit a few years ago.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Basher said:
    I have an Eastman E10-OOM that I picked up used a couple of months ago.

They're discontinued but you might find one second hand. The "M" is for mahogany, which is obvious if you see it! If the 'hog top isn't a problem it would seem to cover most of your requirements: OO size, short scale, nut width (I just measured mine at 44.73mm so basically 1 3/4" as opposed to the wider 1 13/16" of the Eastman slotheads that seem to be aimed squarely at finger pickers).

Apologies for the crappy photo. What you can't see is that the mahogany is very flamed/figured - both on the top as well as the back and sides. I was a bit disappointed with this as I prefer a plainer look, like the Martin 15 series models. Still, this cost a fair bit less than a Martin and I like it more than the OO-15 and OOO-15 I played, albeit a few years ago.

That looks really nice, I actually much prefer the figured look, plus to me it doesn't matter if it's mahogany or spruce top as long as it sounds good and plays well.  :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    If you see a Martin 00-17S used, get itb
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

Thanks they seem quite good another to check out, but checked and none available for sale even from retailers!
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
    edited March 2021
    There’s a tasty looking Waterloo in the classifieds I hear, a few videos on YouTube of it sounding pretty decent with a pick too ;) 
    Also that Brook Creedy looks really nice over on Glenn’s guitars. Too small? 
    Gandalph said:
    There’s a tasty looking Waterloo in the classifieds I hear, a few videos on YouTube of it sounding pretty decent with a pick too ;) 
    Also that Brook Creedy looks really nice over on Glenn’s guitars. Too small? 

Theres also a tasty looking Martin 00028 Re in the classifieds I hear, if your looking to upgrade!  ;) Also very sought after, as they say these models shouldn't have been discontinued,as they were some of the best built & sounding Martins in recent years!  :)
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 35
    PCT57 said:

A bit too expensive, plus have tried a couple of Brooks previously and they have a very shallow sort of neck more akin to an electric, which I don't like on an acoustic.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Sammy said:
    TimmyO said:

Thanks they seem quite good another to check out, but checked and none available for sale even from retailers!
    Came here to recommend this too. I LOVE mine!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here