Acoustasonics: Are they only for plugging in?

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    My own two-penneth is that these are effectively acoustic guitars for people like me who hate normal acoustic guitars on account of them being unwieldy, only available in two colour options (natural, yawn, or sunburst, wow) and as boring as shite.

May be wrong though.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Bork said:
    Jetfire said:
    I think its about realistic applications for a near £1.5k spend on a guitar. 
    FFS, you could build one for half that.

Really? How would you go about doing that?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited March 2021
    BingMan said:
    If you want an acoustic guitar, get an acoustic guitar

if you want an electric guitar, get an electric guitar 

But it's surely easier to bring one of these to a jam night than an electric and an acoustic plus pedals?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Lewy said:
    Bork said:
    Jetfire said:
    I think its about realistic applications for a near £1.5k spend on a guitar. 
    FFS, you could build one for half that.

Really? How would you go about doing that?
    https://youtu.be/cbjjMxtK2_4
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So with thoudands of pounds worth of equipment, years of woodworking experience, valuing your own time at £0 per hour you too can create something that bears a passing resemblance to an Acoustasonic but made out of infinitely cheaper materials, without any of the onboard Fishman Aura electronics, and which sounds like a 1980s Encore ovation copy. It's the same!

You can get a lap dance off your mum too. She's a woman. It's the same :)
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    They're for dental hygienists.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    BingMan said:

But it's surely easier to bring one of these to a jam night than an electric and an acoustic plus pedals?
    Can’t argue with you there
    i’d still be bringing one of each though... but that’s just me. I bring 3 guitars with me when I go to the in-laws for a weekend  :#
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1796
    BingMan said:
    BingMan said:

i’d still be bringing one of each though... but that’s just me. I bring 3 guitars with me when I go to the in-laws for a weekend  :#
    Is your mother in law really that annoying?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    BingMan said:
    BingMan said:

Is your mother in law really that annoying?
    Only when she’s trying to do the lap dance.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    You can get a lap dance off your mum too. She's a woman. It's the same :)
    Very true, but the youtube video of that wouldn't get quite so many views.

Although, actually, since my mum has been dead 10 years, a video of her lap dancing might attract a bit of interest. :)
    More seriously, @mrkb, I'd be interested to hear a bit more about your experiences, a bit like munckee's question, and how these differ from, say, a 335 or 330.
    munckee said:
    mrkb said:
    I’ve got one and thankfully have worked out what they are for. I play songs on it! 
    Do you find them much more useable than an acoustic with a pickup? Do you like the electric sounds?

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    I don't really get why people don't understand about these. They're effectively an acoustic that you can rock out on. No?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Hattigol said:
    I don't really get why people don't understand about these. They're effectively an acoustic that you can rock out on. No?
    Its not that we dont understand it, its just stupid marketing.  Its a modelling acoustic which isnt very loud unless you plug it in and you can plug into a electric amp and rock out with it.

• TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    Hattigol said:
    But they aren't acoustics. They don't make a sound. Well, not one you'd want to hear. They are just a weird sort of electric. I suspect that they mainly sell on looks.
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 328
    I think the Tele one looks really cool, and the JM version in the promo vid sounded pretty good to me, so I’d love to try one.

Bit taken aback by the negative comments but suppose they’re a marmite thing.
    I love my brick
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    ^ Correct! And everybody knows that vegemite is much better than marmite.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Aren't these a posh version of the Denelectro Convertible?
    Aren't these a posh version of the Denelectro Convertible?
    Not really. The convertible is just a guitar with an electric pickup and an undersaddle piezo. What you get out of it is the raw sounds of those two pickups. The raw sound of a piezo pickup is, by and large, terrible especially by today's standards of what a plugged in acoustic can sound like. 

The Acoustasonic has three pickups...a magnetic, a piezo and a body sensor, but most critically they are all managed and blended by the onboard Fishman Aura acoustic imaging tech, so what you get from the guitar plugged straight into a PA are a range of different acoustic models as well as some electric sounds.

If you plugged a Convertible straight into a PA everyone would be in for a thoroughly miserable time. You could get yourself a Fishman Aura spectrum DI, or a Tonedexter to try and get the piezo sounding as good as the Acoustasonic...wouldn't quite work though because you'd have to spend a lot of time tweaking. And you could take a guitar amp to plug into for using the lipstick pickup and that would sound good...but by this point you're so far away from the use-case that the Acoustasonic is aimed at you may as well just take an electric guitar, and acoustic and backline for both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    AlbertC said:
    Tannin said:
    I haven't figured out what they are for.
    They're the answer to a problem that no one knew existed
    Was it that Fender couldn't build something as nice as a PRS Hollowbody in their factories, so worked out how to build something cheaper and Fender-shaped instead?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Lewy said:

If you plugged a Convertible straight into a PA everyone would be in for a thoroughly miserable time.
    Not so - in fact it sounds pretty good... just not quite like an acoustic guitar. I've also perfectly successfully DI'd a Rickenbacker semi-acoustic, that sounded fine too.

(These assume you use a proper DI box or a buffered tuner pedal or something, so the guitar isn't seeing a 10K input impedance of a 1/4" line in.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson