Recording with a Stingray (before I sell it)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Snap said:
    @Bridgehouse I got my daughter a mexican P, couple of years ago, and have to say it's a cracker. Playing that is what tipped me over into full on wanting one. I've decided to go the self build route because I will get exactly what I want, and I enjoy the build process too. 

Will be a sort of Roger Waters signature style in appearance. 
    Solid plan that! I’ve got two home builds and they are cracking!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've found that recording any bass with a decent powerful active preamp can be "challenging"
    I think it's because the bass EQ knob is usually capable of putting out way too much broad low end boost.  And the treble you might dial in to hear yourself in a live setting can bring out a lot of unwanted clack and finger noise in a recording.

I've got a Dingwall NG (It's my second one actually, I traded my 4 for a 5) and it has the sought after Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp.  It's probably the only low EQ band I've found useful (it's punchy as opposed to subby) and even then I prefer just recording the bass passively 99% of the time
  • Snap said:
    Bridgehouse I got my daughter a mexican P, couple of years ago, and have to say it's a cracker. Playing that is what tipped me over into full on wanting one. I've decided to go the self build route because I will get exactly what I want, and I enjoy the build process too. 

Will be a sort of Roger Waters signature style in appearance. 

Nice

I've been really impressed with the most recent Mexican basses.  P bass is such a great tone
    @Snap - this is a home built P and it get the most use of all my fretted basses...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Dig that invisible pickup.
    Be seeing you.
    Dig that invisible pickup.
    Nah. That shot was mid-swap out for an Oil City special 
  • mike257 said:
    Gail Anne Dorsey turns the bass on full and everything else "off", or turned all the way back. I tend to do the same and then will dial in the miss and treble as and when I feel it's necessary. 
    On a 3-band? Jesus. That's an enormous amount of bass! I find a dimed bass knob overpowering on mine even with the mids and treble flat! If it's good enough for Gail though, I'm not gonna argue....
    From about 1:25 in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbs4A9AKPc
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    mike257 said:
    Gail Anne Dorsey turns the bass on full and everything else "off", or turned all the way back. I tend to do the same and then will dial in the miss and treble as and when I feel it's necessary. 
    On a 3-band? Jesus. That's an enormous amount of bass! I find a dimed bass knob overpowering on mine even with the mids and treble flat! If it's good enough for Gail though, I'm not gonna argue....
    From about 1:25 in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbs4A9AKPc
    Ace, thanks - I think it probably sits well with her technique too, she's talking about how she plays with a very light touch. I play with all the delicacy of a ham-fisted gorilla most of the time, so +15db of 40Hz - or whatever it is on the Ray 3 band, I forget - gets a bit much for me
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Depends what you mean with "clanky" - to me that would describe the sound any bass makes when the action is too low.

I would, however, describe the proper Stingray tone as "zingy" which might not be to everyone's taste, though definitely shouldn't sound as problematic as your issue seems.
  • thegummy said:
    Depends what you mean with "clanky" - to me that would describe the sound any bass makes when the action is too low.

I would, however, describe the proper Stingray tone as "zingy" which might not be to everyone's taste, though definitely shouldn't sound as problematic as your issue seems.
    The clank a stingray gives you is not related to the action.

Bye!

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Agree with @WiresDreamDisasters - It's not really a fret buzz kind of sound. The Jazz I got to replace it has similar action and records perfectly. 

From what I've read here and via some googling seems to be mostly pre-amp related. The 3 band being much less affected. Changing the pickup won't help either as a bass playing friend of mine tried that, same issue, just slightly different tone. 

Lovely bass to play, the neck was a joy, but I don't regret moving it on and getting the Jazz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:

That's the problem with these words that don't have actual definitions - I wouldn't describe my Stingray (or others I've heard) as having "clank" but obviously you're using it to describe a different sound than I am.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    @Snap - this is a home built P and it get the most use of all my fretted basses...

that's very nice indeed.
    My recent Peter Hook signature bass purchase has put the P bass build on the back. burner for now. I've got a Tele to finish too. 
  • thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

That's the problem with these words that don't have actual definitions - I wouldn't describe my Stingray (or others I've heard) as having "clank" but obviously you're using it to describe a different sound than I am.
    Post a recording.

Bye!