Advice needed: 12 String Acoustic Choices

What's Hot
I have a real craving for a 12 string but having only ever played an awful EKO from the 60's-70's, my experience is limited. I've got some great six strings but really don't want to spend a fortune on a 12 string that may be a flight of fancy, or may get used infrequently. 

I think (think) I've got it down to one of the following: 

Yamaha APX700
Art and Lutherie Legacy 12 Bourbon Burst
Seagull Coastline S12 Cedar
Guild F2512e

Has anyone got one of the above or alternatively played on any of them before? I don't know much about A&L, or Seagull but believe they're all sort of the Godin group. They're all very different types of guitar and while I like my Dreadnoughts I think a smaller body may be a bit easier to adapt to a 12 string: I may be wrong though. 

Thanks for your help. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    I’ve had a dreadnaught 12 string in the past and currently have a low end APX. The smaller body Yammy is definitely easier to play (for me) but it sounds more thin and boxy and doesn’t have than real boom and projection you get from a nice dread. Somebody posted a videoclip of them playing a Yamaha dread fairly recently and it sounded perfect to me. I’ll see if I can find it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I have a real craving for a 12 string but having only ever played an awful EKO from the 60's-70's, my experience is limited. I've got some great six strings but really don't want to spend a fortune on a 12 string that may be a flight of fancy, or may get used infrequently. 

I think (think) I've got it down to one of the following: 

Yamaha APX700
    Art and Lutherie Legacy 12 Bourbon Burst
    Seagull Coastline S12 Cedar
    Guild F2512e

Has anyone got one of the above or alternatively played on any of them before? I don't know much about A&L, or Seagull but believe they're all sort of the Godin group. They're all very different types of guitar and while I like my Dreadnoughts I think a smaller body may be a bit easier to adapt to a 12 string: I may be wrong though.
    From that list, the Guild. It's the best-built of those and will sound the best, especially when it's matured a bit.

The Yamaha will sound decent plugged in but tinny and small unplugged.

The Art & Lutherie and the Seagull will probably sound the best initially but they have a problem with build quality in the longer term - they're too lightly built (which is why they sound good) and seem to suffer a lot from pulled-up tops and other problems, especially on the 12-strings. They also have the highest rate of headstock breaks I've seen other than Gibsons, which is again a worse problem on a 12-string due to the length of the head.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Whatever you choose make sure the nut is cut properly - the octave G string can be a sod for breaking. Consider down tuning to Eb or D
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5401
    Yes, A&L and Seagull are Godin brands. Most (but not all) of their products are laminate back and sides with a solid top, and everything they make they make in Canada. The Guild is made in China and in that price range the Yamaha will be too. 

12-strings are traditionally made in dreadnought and jumbo sizes, for the reasons Bogeyman mentions. I like small bodies as a rule, but my current 12 is a dred. I don't think it would have enough oomph in the bass to balance the high octave strings in a smaller body.

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    Jalapeno said:
    Whatever you choose make sure the nut is cut properly - the octave G string can be a sod for breaking. Consider down tuning to Eb or D

I can vouch for that...... =) I generally tune a tone down now.
  • Give me a shout if you feel like moving the Eko on - I need one for one song a set, at most four times a year. Sounds perfect.
  • Thanks to everyone for their advice and pointers. It looks like a Guild is the front runner, although a friend of mine is lending me his Fender Villager 12 string which he swears by. 

I'm a Fender fan of longstanding but have never owned or even played one of their acoustics, so it will be a first for me. I never thought they were particularly renowned for their acoustic guitars so I'll wait with bated breath. They do seem to have some excellent reviews though. 

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Have a look at the Paul Brett/Vintage stuff. I don’t know if it’s any good but Paul B is a big 12 string guy so if he had any influence over them then they will be decent 

A few guys over on MM forum have them and speak pretty highly of them 

I'm a Fender fan of longstanding but have never owned or even played one of their acoustics, so it will be a first for me. I never thought they were particularly renowned for their acoustic guitars so I'll wait with bated breath. They do seem to have some excellent reviews though.
    They are far better than the almost universal internet snobbery about them would lead you to think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Taylor 150e? A used one of those would be definitely worth a look.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    Taylor Leo Kottke model is an excellent guitar. 
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    icu81b4 said:
    Taylor Leo Kottke model is an excellent guitar. 
    Sound Affect in Ormskirk has a 2nd hand one for sale. 
  • Andy79 said:
    Have a look at the Paul Brett/Vintage stuff. I don’t know if it’s any good but Paul B is a big 12 string guy so if he had any influence over them then they will be decent 

There's one come up for sale over there today.
  • Andy79 said:

Thanks both. Please excuse my ignorance but what's the MM forum?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5401
    I daresay that would be the Michael Messer forum, OHM. Search that phrase and it will pop straight up.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I have a Taylor 150e and it sounds excellent, but it's developed some intonation issues that need sorting. I don't know if this is a common issue or not.
    markv said:
    I have a Taylor 150e and it sounds excellent, but it's developed some intonation issues that need sorting. I don't know if this is a common issue or not.
    Is it playing sharp?

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    ICBM said:
    markv said:
    Is it playing sharp?
    Yes, even as low as the 3rd fret which is a bit annoying. I don't think it will be solved by a gentle tweak of truss rod, but that was going to be my first thing to try.
  • Andy79 said:

Thanks both. Please excuse my ignorance but what's the MM forum?

https://michaelmesser.proboards.com/thread/12639/vintage-statesboro-12-string-guitar