Epiphone Masterbilt Hummingbird VS Gibson Hummingbird

What's Hot

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    I’ve got the Epiphone Masterbilt “Inspired by Gibson” J45, it’s a really nice guitar, I’m well impressed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    I’ve got the Epiphone Masterbilt “Inspired by Gibson” J45, it’s a really nice guitar, I’m well impressed.
    I’ve been tempted for one of those myself. I realise it’s nowhere near the sound of a J45 but they seem to be great value and sounding. 
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BGG said:
    I’ve been tempted for one of those myself. I realise it’s nowhere near the sound of a J45 but they seem to be great value and sounding. 
    It might not sound exactly like a Gibson but it’s in the ball park, it’s the same solid woods and construction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    My problem with all these kinds of things (and it is my problem) is that I can never get away from the fact that the lower-cost brand version is, at the end of the day, not the "real thing". Especially with acoustics where you can hear it in the depth and warmth of the sound.

So if I wanted to get in the ballpark, I'd always be more inclined to get something that sounds good and is "kinda right" (and the Epiphone does) but was another brand and not obviously trying to ape a more expensive option. Something that would stand on its own merits without constantly needing a direct comparison that it's never going to win, once you take the value for money aspect away. Which almost certainly says a lot about my psychology and capitulation to brand, marketing and snobbishness, but ... it's a thing.

Bizarrely I don't have the same issue with Fender and Squier when it comes to electrics; almost to the reverse, where I can't see the point in dropping the money on a Fender because a Squier is more than good enough. So maybe it's just down to acoustics, and liking really nice sounding acoustics but not having the funds to buy lots of them :)
    I’ve never played a Gibson J45 so maybe that’s why I’m so happy with my Epiphone!

This is mine, thought the photo is from the Peach website...

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    A mate has an Epi hummingbird (I think) and it's really nice. It's purely a psychological tick for me that runs "This is really nice, but it's not the thing it's trying to make you think it is". It's weird. If it was just an acoustic made by Epiphone that didn't stylistically nod at a big brother, I'd take it at face value. 

Like I said, it's my problem :)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I’ve got an Epiphone EJ200CE.
    Blimey is it a good guitar. For finger picking it is like a piano, which is the sound I love from an acoustic, and then if you strum it hard with a plectrum it really really vibrates and sounds. 
    New something like £370.  Very good value imho 

If I ever decide to move up I’d certainly look at the masterbilt ones.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    I have the older Epiphone Masterbilt AJ45 - a fine guitar too. Might not sound exactly like a J45 but it’s a great sound either way. Great build quality too. I love it, even with Epiphone on the headstock

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    My mate has an epi hummingbird.  It’s sounds nice for the price point but nowhere near my hummingbird 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    A Gibson hummingbird was one of the nicest guitars I have played. The neck especially was very comfortable