Guitar recommendations for a 9 year old?

What's Hot
Evening all, any recommendations for a starter acoustic guitar for a 9 y/o? He’s decided to start guitar lessons at school, and needs his own guitar. 3/4 size probably I imagine as he’s quite small, not costing the Earth in case he doesn’t take to it, but equally wary of £20 Argos specials, which will hinder him, or put him off altogether. Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Does it have to be acoustic? My lad (started at 7) found it much easier learning on an electric. Smaller and more ergonomic body so easier to handle, lower gauge strings so easier on the fingers, and has a bit more fun factor for a kid. The Squier Mini strats can be found on eBay for around £70 and are great, plus will hold value for resale when they grow out of it. If it has to be acoustic then definitely avoid the £20 Argos jobs. 
  • For the school, yes. I got him a little electric which a friend gifted him, but he hasn’t really done much with it, and I’m not much of a teacher, so lessons at school might be good for him, but he needs an acoustic for that.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Yamaha FG Junior. Done
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Andy79 said:
    Yamaha FG Junior. Done
    This.

There's also a Tanglewood which is quite decent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1796
    Yamaha APXT2
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Any classical 3/4.  His desire could be lost in something which hurts and gives no discernible return apart from the pain of steel strings. ( I would hate to refer to the number of muscular electric players who find that playing an acoustic guitar with proper strings just a bit painful ) . What does the teacher recommend ? Really hope he grows to love it .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 727
    Andy79 said:
    Yamaha FG Junior. Done
    Called the JR1 - appropriately (Junior One!)
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    My son has a Yamaha CS-40 and it’s as superb little instrument. A good friend who teaches a lot of kids in schools and online says it’s his standard recommendation.