Martin 000 necks

What's Hot
Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 227
Dilemma.  I have a 00028 reimagined.  And it plays beautifully and sounds amazing.  However I am finding the neck too slim for myself especially 1st fret

Are there any other 00028 models that have a chunkier neck than the reimagined ones?  

If not what other high end models in the 000 shape have a chunkier neck than the one I already have?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    OM-21.

That’s why I had to sell mine, despite being the best-sounding 000/OM I’ve ever played. (Bar one very special late-40s one.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    ICBM said:
    OM-21.

That’s why I had to sell mine, despite being the best-sounding 000/OM I’ve ever played. (Bar one very special late-40s one.)
    AKAIK most new Martins have the thin 'Performing Artist' taper neck profile. The current OM-21 has it as well.

The older Martin OM-21's (18v & 28V too) have the thicker neck profiles and string spacing at the saddle, but they are really highly rated and few seem to come up on sale S/H.  The Martin OM-21 Special is one of the most elusive Martins on the S/H market, it seems no one wants to part with theirs.

The only new Martins which have V necks are the 000-28EC's and the CEO7&9.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    edited April 2021
    The neck profiles and nut widths on the Reimagined OMs and 000s are the same - they're both a modified low oval with a 'high-performance taper' and a 1 3/4 nut.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Love my 000 28 EC V neck. My 000 28 VS neck is also great. Both involve thinking about where to place your thumb. Quite an integral part to playing and potentially a road to Damascus moment, if it works. Good luck.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 227
    How does collings compare?
    Th4fonz said:
    How does collings compare?
    I have a Collings OM2H .The neck has a very faint V profile (hardly noticeable really). It is very comfortable, but closer to Martin's low profile necks of the 80'/90's. Collings also have their Traditional series, which I have never played. These Traditionals seem to take a more pre war /golden era approach which may well extend to fuller profile necks.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 227
    Thanks @artiebear ;

I was also looking at the Atkin 00037 does anyone have experience with that model?  I did play an Atkin probably 10 years ago which had a skinny neck.  Have they changed?  
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    I have a Golden Era 000-28 from the mid-90's and it has a really nice traditional Martin neck.  In the States they go for around $2500-3000.  If you can find one of those it might be what you want.
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 159
    edited April 2021
    Th4fonz said:
    Thanks @artiebear ;;

I was also looking at the Atkin 00037 does anyone have experience with that model?  I did play an Atkin probably 10 years ago which had a skinny neck.  Have they changed?  
    I played one of these a few years ago and it sounded lovely. I would probably have bought it but for the skinny neck, which I find impossible to work with.
    The Martin 00028 vs has a neck I like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Th4fonz said:
    Thanks @artiebear ;;

I played one of these a few years ago and it sounded lovely. I would probably have bought it but for the skinny neck, which I find impossible to work with.
    The average 'suit all neck" and the 00028VS neck are probably opposite ends of the scale. Like you @malcolmkindness, I love the 00028VS neck, a real finger style players string spacing and a neck shape to make the player think about left hand positioning. As a guitar, I would happily state that of the modern Martin range, it was the jewel in the crown tonally. Sadly fashion and a desire for acoustic vanilla has seen it discontinued.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    artiebear said:
    Th4fonz said:
    Thanks @artiebear ;;

The average 'suit all neck" and the 00028VS neck are probably opposite ends of the scale. Like you @malcolmkindness, I love the 00028VS neck, a real finger style players string spacing and a neck shape to make the player think about left hand positioning. As a guitar, I would happily state that of the modern Martin range, it was the jewel in the crown tonally. Sadly fashion and a desire for acoustic vanilla has seen it discontinued.
    Such a great point very well made. I totally agree with you