RIP HRH Prince Philip

What's Hot

Comments

• joneve said:
    RIP indeed, but hijacking both BBC channels with the same programming is a bit much, no? 

Newspapers tomorrow: MAN DIES OF OLD AGE. 

Tremendous innings, though. Has to be said. 
    They are still flashing up a banner about it on the kids TV channels!?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    joneve said:
    RIP indeed, but hijacking both BBC channels with the same programming is a bit much, no? 

Newspapers tomorrow: MAN DIES OF OLD AGE. 

Tremendous innings, though. Has to be said. 
    They are still flashing up a banner about it on the kids TV channels!?!
    Aye! Bonkers. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    edited April 2021
    Set up World wildlife fund in the 1960s, DoE award scheme and 798 other public organisations benefitted from his patronage- hats off sir. In a world of political correctness we will not see his ilk again. Rip

edit: and I would be prepared to bet good money he was an epic grandfather
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    rsvmark said:
    Set up World wildlife fund in the 1960s, DoE award scheme and 798 other public organisations benefitted from his patronage- hats off sir. In a world of political correctness we will not see his ilk again. Rip
    I wasn’t aware he was behind setting the WWF. Every day’s a school day. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I had lunch with him about 15 years ago when he and Lizzy opened the local arts centre.  They had a full day and didn't stop working throughout.  He greeted everyone individually who was on his table and chatted like we were old chums. Made everyone feel at ease and was the absolute picture of a perfect gent.  He must have been 85 at the time and it made me realise what a job they both have to do.  Im no royalist but I can admire the hard graft they were putting in.  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    I grew up in Ascot and Windsor - my Mum met the Queen a couple of times and we had a piece of Chuck and Di’s wedding cake.

So I always thought the Royal Family were a bit hilarious - locals with a complete control complex.

Philip struck me as a total berk, however one able to navigate through life riding on his absurd charm. So, good for him.

They certainly work very hard, although let’s not forget how much easier life is when you don’t have to traipse round Currys looking at vacuum cleaners etc.

They also have nice holiday homes - must be a help.

Will be interesting to see if Her Maj is going to be able to survive this. Gosh, it’s going to be tough for her...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18381
    I get people's reasons for making comments, but isn't this supposed to be a thread for Tributes, plain & simple? 
    If anyone wants to raise, discuss or argue related issues (I too have many, many such concerns) how about starting another thread?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • He once shot a wild tiger for fun. Racist comments referred to as gaffes. Talk of hard work and engagements. What about people who are engaged in 8hr days of hard graft for decades on end with poor pay. Sad when a family member dies but this lot just sponge benefits from the state.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

• He was great.

Bye!

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I found his obituary on the Bbc website interesting. I guess I only have known about him in his gaff prone old age.

99 is a grand age to get to. Rip.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2208
    Whatever your views on the royal family, Liz and Phil have provided a serious degree of continuity and solidity to the country.

In the last 70 years they have been the part that hasn't changed and helped provide a sense of identity for the British people, whether you are pro anti or don't care (do you want a picture of Presidents Blair or Cameron on your bank notes?).

When Liz goes and we end up with Charles or Wills at the helm, I think we will all sense the huge amount of change.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited April 2021
    He once shot a wild tiger for fun. Racist comments referred to as gaffes. Talk of hard work and engagements. What about people who are engaged in 8hr days of hard graft for decades on end with poor pay. Sad when a family member dies but this lot just sponge benefits from the state.
    And the award for twatty comment of the week on a thread goes to.....
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • loveagood69loveagood69 Frets: 123
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18381
    For those that are hard of reading (including me if I got the purpose of the thread wrong) this thread title is "Tributes".
    If you have a tribute to make then simply make it, with whatever qualifications as you see fit.
    If you don't have one to make then just don't bother & move along, nothing to see here, just don't do it.
    Attempting to score points & make cheap jokes here just demeans the person that posts, IMO.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 125
    sad.. wonder if this will trigger the Queen to step down
    Nah

she's going to re marry
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 728
    edited April 2021
    I always felt he was the strategist behind the remarkable survival (as an institution) of the Royal Family in the UK. It retains a valuable role in our unwritten constitution. Especially in keeping certain elements like the armed forces, the judiciary, the Police, out of politics. Look around the world at how many problems those elements can cause at times and you will appreciate our take on them. He was highly intelligent and spent a long time doing exactly what he said he would do, supporting the Queen and doing his best to use his position to improve things.

We are all imperfect and have many facets. He did more good in his life than most of us will do.

Top fella. RIP. 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2208
    ^
    Hear hear.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Consider the average working life to the age of 65 to be, round it up to make the numbers easier, 50 years.

He worked a good 30 years beyond that. Evenings and weekends, too. Having to be cordial to total strangers and dressed up for the occasion, too. How many of us could or would maintain that workload for that long?

A life of service. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited April 2021
    mrkb said:
    Greece will be in mourning.

Not really. The heads have respectfully paid tribute to him and sent condolences but he never really acknowledged Greece or his Greek heritage, or assisted them, and actually renounced his Greek title in 1947.
    The following article from The Independent best sums up his thoughts on Greece and whilst Prince Charles visited Greece more recently and spoke fondly about it being his grandfather's and father's birthplace and how it held 'a special place in his heart', I don't think Phillip felt the same :-

Although born in Greece and related to Greek kings, it would appear that the prince did not feel much attachment to the country, once remarking: "I certainly never felt nostalgic about Greece. A grandfather assassinated and a father condemned to death does not endear me to the perpetrators".

R.I.P

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Great photo of The Queen and Prince Phillip. He had decided to prank her by dressing as a guard when she was returning to Buckingham Palace. The Queen's expression!

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom