Nylon-strung *non* classicals?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    GTCs comment matches my experience, too. When I was trying out different nylon-strung guitars in my search last summer, I also thought the La Patrie crossovers were the nicest to play. But they didn’t sound as nice as any "proper" classical to my ears, so I ended up choosing tone over playability - because that was more important for me. Not bad, but not in the same ballpark. I wasn't looking for anything with a pickup, BTW, so it's only a comment on the acoustic tone in the room. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    GTC said:
    If a parlour-sized body is the most important thing then there is the La Patrie (Godin) Motif. I've tried one of these and they are very nice. They are currently discontinued but there is one currently for sale on eBay (BIN £250).
    Nice find - thankyou! THat's more in line with what I'll likely end up with, and that oil finish is a bonus in my opinion! I've really liked the Godin-group's acoustics that I've played before, so I'll keep a keen eye on these.

Cheers.

@TheBigDipper - I'm not too worried about it not having a "true" classical tone, as long as it's got that nylon-string response really. I'd prefer not to lose too much low-end, but that's inevitable with a smaller body I guess.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    GTC said:
    If a parlour-sized body is the most important thing then there is the La Patrie (Godin) Motif. I've tried one of these and they are very nice. They are currently discontinued but there is one currently for sale on eBay (BIN £250).
    Nice find - thankyou! THat's more in line with what I'll likely end up with, and that oil finish is a bonus in my opinion! I've really liked the Godin-group's acoustics that I've played before, so I'll keep a keen eye on these.

FYI - the Art and Lutherie (also Godin) Roadhouse nylon is virtually the identical guitar to the La Patrie Motif - but has a rather nice bourbon stained top. Unfortunately these are also discontinued but occasionally appear second-hand.