Upgrade or buy new?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
So after a long time in lockdown, my first acoustic duo practice is this week, meaning I've spent time with my acoustic today. (Faith naked Venus with that Shadow preamp) Unplugged, it's lovely. It's got a nice, satin finish, feels ok in the hand etc. But I know plugged in it'll sound not so good. So do I upgrade the preamp/new pick up system (or as suggested elsewhere, ditch the onboard preamp and get one of them zoom pedals.) Or sell the lot and get a different one? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I'm in the camp of "as few electrics as possible in an acoustic guitar, and do it all offboard". So I have passive K&K Pure Minis in the two acoustics I've got fitted with pickups, and a choice of preamps/effects that don't change when/if the guitar does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/ If you like the guitar and it sounds good acoustically then just upgrade electrics. My preference is Headway 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    https://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/ If you like the guitar and it sounds good acoustically then just upgrade electrics. My preference is Headway 
    What do you have by them?
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3097
    edited April 2021
    Jetfire said:
    https://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/ If you like the guitar and it sounds good acoustically then just upgrade electrics. My preference is Headway 
    What do you have by them?
    The snake in my Fylde Alchemist, Yamaha Fg and Mrs M’s Moon Octave Mandolin , and have fitted one to a mates Gibson J45
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Just had a listen to some of the youtube stuff they have, and looked a their SAM1-1 stuff...  

All sound really good. 

Do you have any direct recordings @maltingsaudio of any of your acoustics?

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I have exactly the same guitar, and threw the preamp in the bin. 

This is it using the stock undersaddle piezo wired directly to the output jack, through a Zoom AC-3 pedal straight into my computer with no processing at all. 

A more than serviceable sound for my purposes, and no more onboard batteries or faff. 

@p90fool that's the jobby I was looking for. You send me this before, sounds awesome
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Thanks @Jetfire ; It actually had 9-42 electric strings on it for that recording too, because of my crappy hands, but I'm sure it would have more depth and authenticity with acoustic strings. 

It works for me though, and almost as importantly, it responds to touch like an acoustic guitar, something I've never been successful with using magnetic pickups. 
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    @maltingsaudio ; cheers dude! Sounds pretty good! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So, after looking at a number of options, in still none the wiser. I think the preamp is my problem and That Pedal Show did a brillant 2 parter on acoustic and pedals. I think Ill do the preamp ditch first and see what is about pedal wise. However, I am on leave Monday and I fancy a trip to try some acoustics out
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Jetfire said:
    So, after looking at a number of options, in still none the wiser. I think the preamp is my problem and That Pedal Show did a brillant 2 parter on acoustic and pedals. I think Ill do the preamp ditch first and see what is about pedal wise. However, I am on leave Monday and I fancy a trip to try some acoustics out
    My Faith Venus sounds a whole lot better with a pedal preamp - in my case I use the Boss AD-2 which is pretty good.  Not perfect, but gets rid of most of the piezo quack and adds some depth and reverb to it.

Alternatively the other pickup system I've heard that sounds great is the LR Baggs anthem, which blends the undersaddle piezo with an internal microphone and every demo I've heard sounds excellent.
    Must be said, my options are reasonably open but needs to be simple and transportable. I do have a Helix, however I don't fancy taking that to the *INSERT PUB NAME HERE*, esp wth the limited floor space we have had at previous gigs.   I think every video I've heard with a piezo in it does the quacky noise so Im currently looking at all the videos I can got the LR Baggs/Headway/Dimarzio etc internal mic system of sorts rather than the acoustic magnetic or piezo systems but Ill keep looking around and see what I can find!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    I don't know if it's universally true, but I've got a Fishman blended system in my Furch, and in loud situations if you use the mic it will feedback like a thing that feeds back alot.

It sounds great in a more controlled environment though, particularly through an acoustic amp.
    So, as an update, I've got all in an ordered a LR Baggs Anthem system. May be abit overkill but if I do want to sell the guitar, I can do. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Jetfire said:
    So, as an update, I've got all in an ordered a LR Baggs Anthem system. May be abit overkill but if I do want to sell the guitar, I can do. 
    Those are meant to be ace - should be an improvement.

I think if I were in the same boat I'd probably think about a basic pickup and then use an HX Stomp or similar to host an IR/EQ/Comp/Verb 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    You can't go wrong with Baggs. I have an Anthem in my HD28; I haven't gigged it but whenever I've plugged it in for quick demos or whatever it sounds great. I had the M1A in my old Taylor too, and that was brilliant. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239

Listened to the following Youtube videos and though the sound was very like the Fishman humbucker I bought from this site some time ago (but the intended guitar never materialised - but there you go!).