Any thoughts on the Gibson LG-2 or other similar acoustics?

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1067
Been thinking about buying a LG-2 this summer. Any thoughts or experiences? Might consider a similar Martin as well. Of course the answer is to try them - and planning to soon! - but just wondering about people's opinions on here about recent LG-2s or Martins?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Not played a recent one, but a friend owns an original '53 LG-2 which is one of the nicest acoustic guitars I know of. It has a very delicate, sparkly but also quite pokey tone - not as bluesy as the ladder-braced models, but not as full and refined as a Martin 00/000 either, if that makes sense. Sorry, that's probably not a lot of help if you're thinking of a new one.

On the bright side, Elvis once played one so it *has* to be cool :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Basically all the great songwriters in Nashville seem to adore their LG2s. That’s basically all I need to know.

I’m looking longingly at an Atkin 47 to fill that particular void
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    ICBM said:
    Not played a recent one, but a friend owns an original '53 LG-2 which is one of the nicest acoustic guitars I know of. It has a very delicate, sparkly but also quite pokey tone - not as bluesy as the ladder-braced models, but not as full and refined as a Martin 00/000 either, if that makes sense. Sorry, that's probably not a lot of help if you're thinking of a new one.

On the bright side, Elvis once played one so it *has* to be cool :).

I have a new version - well, from last year. I think the above applies to it as well. Not the out and out L-00 boxy blues tone, but bluesy enough if you want, albeit more versatile - grown up enough to be a 'big' guitar, but small enough to give you those bluesy tones.

It's a nice guitar.

Call me Dave.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 911
    I used to own a 1949 LG2. Should've kept it but as usual, the itch for something new came along and I moved it along. Great guitar though. Haven't tried a new LG2 but I recently bought an L00 which is kind of like a slightly smaller version of LG2. It's X braced and wouldn't say it sounds boxy.
    At the time I bought the L00 I also tried out an Atkin 47 and L36. Both nice enough guitars but I was much more taken with the L00 - hence why I bought it. I wanted to try a new LG2 but they didn't have one in stock.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Someone here bought a new 50s original LG2 last year. Well Jell as I’ve played one and it kills. Great line of guitars and the LG2 is a particular stand-out
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    A good LG2 is a lovely thing. Nothing like a similar mahogany Martin. Altogether a much sweeter more intimate instrument, which is probably why a lot of writers profess to enjoying one as their preferred choice. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Andy79 said:
    Someone here bought a new 50s original LG2 last year. Well Jell as I’ve played one and it kills. Great line of guitars and the LG2 is a particular stand-out
    I don't know if it was me that you were thinking of there, but I did. It is really lovely, and I'd recommend them.
    Call me Dave.