Les McKeown

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22689
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56848233

I know the Bay City Rollers were never cool or acclaimed, but a couple of their hits were pretty catchy.  And the guitarists had some cool gear.  Sorry to hear Les has gone at 65.

RIP
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
    tFB Trader
    When I was a kid around 14 you could not ignore BCR - I was in to Slade, T-REX and Sweet - But just about every girl I knew back then, sister + her friends, school girls in the class, was into BCR, or David Cassidy, or Osmonds - You could not ignore a sea of tartan - So part of my youth - RIP
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169
    Always watched the Big Jim Sullivan guitar lesson bit on the Rollers' TV show.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2192
    edited April 2021
    Sad news.

I saw them just before they really took off, playing in the Carnatic halls of residence students' bar, during my first year at Liverpool Uni. I recall they were very good live and miles better than The Troggs they were supporting.

It's not a competition.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    Bye bye baby. RIP. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I heard they were surprisingly(?) good live too.  I always thought Derek Longmuir was a pretty solid drummer and Les had a really good pop voice. 

"Saturday Night" is a great song and it is not an urban myth that it inspired The Ramones to write Blitzkreig Bop.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    Every girl I knew when I was 12 and just getting interested was a BCR fan ......the first girl I took on a date to a Wimpey bar came along in a pair of White high-waister coulottes with the Tartan cumberband and matching Tartan banded trim on the bottom of the legs.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Yes, without The BCR you wouldn't have had The Ramones.... 
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    When I was a kid around 14 you could not ignore BCR - I was in to Slade, T-REX and Sweet - But just about every girl I knew back then, sister + her friends, school girls in the class, was into BCR, or David Cassidy, or Osmonds - You could not ignore a sea of tartan - So part of my youth - RIP

Me too, however I did save up my crisp packets and got Bye Bye Baby on a floppy 7" single
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    Apparently the Ramones were fans.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    A cousin of mine cycled five miles to Granny's house for every episode just to watch their TV show in colour
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12345
    In the 70s I used to do security at Wembley sometimes. Without doubt the scariest gig I ever covered there was the Rollers. I seriously thought I was going to die at one point when there was a huge crush of girls trying to get to the band and we all got pinned against some metal barriers. I remember I couldn’t hear for days afterwards too, all that screaming!  

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    They were big when I was 12, I remember all the girls at school turning up with tartan stuff on (must have been some kind of wear what you want day?). I really liked the singles back then.

But what a shocking story - totally exploited and manipulated, and they didn't make any money! All the money 'disappeared'. 

I saw a good documentary a couple of years ago, it definitely made me feel sorry for them, and especially Les.