Breedlove 12 Strings?

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
edited April 2021 in Acoustics
I'm rather interested in the "non Bend" Breedlove 12 strings i.e. Solo, Exotic and Pursuit models. Anyone had hands-on experience of them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    I was just looking at a couple of those earlier on ebay. They look interesting, a fair bit cheaper than I was expecting for a premium brand too. Got me wondering if they were any good too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275
    Breedlove have two lines, Boogieman. They make a small number of beautiful but very expensive instruments in ... er ... Washington State if I remember correctly, and on-sell a much larger number of made-in-China ones. We tend not to see either sort in my country so I've never played one and can't comment on the quality.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    Tannin said:
    Breedlove have two lines, Boogieman. They make a small number of beautiful but very expensive instruments in ... er ... Washington State if I remember correctly, and on-sell a much larger number of made-in-China ones. We tend not to see either sort in my country so I've never played one and can't comment on the quality.
    Yep, Breedlove guitars are built in Bend Oregon, USA, Concert, Origin series etc and the more affordable series which are built in China, Pursuit, Pursuit Exotic and Solo etc...

They have some very cool design ideas for 12 string construction, e.g. using a bridge truss that runs from the bridge to the end of the body to counter the massive string tension and, they claim, prevents the top bellying-up and means you get a much more playable 12 string with lower action even at standard pitch?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275
    Thanks JCA, that makes good sense - 12s are always potential problem children, and a bit of out-of-box thinking strikes me as overdue.
    (Oregon, not Washington. I knew that. <bangs sawdust out of ear>)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
     I have a Pursuit 6 string concert in Ovankangol and Red Cedar and also a Solo acoustic bass.  They are both brilliant instruments and well worth the price. In fact I'm about to sell my PRS Angelus as the Breedlove is much nicer for my playing.

You can tell that the quality is a bit better on the Solo, but there isn't much wrong with the Pursuit.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    Tannin said:
    Thanks @Tannin. Worth some further investigation then.