Mahogany OM versions - which one to get?

What's Hot
mikewmikew Frets: 16
Hi all
I'm after some advice from the collective. I have a Collings OM2H and whilst I love it, I've come to realise that I prefer mahogany to rosewood. It's taken a while to appreciate the differences between tonewoods but I now have a nice collection of different ones and know what direction I want to go in. This is based on a waterloo WL14, a Bashkin SJ and a tanglewood TSM1 and TSM 2 that all have hog back and sides but are all different - yet the same in what (I think!) hog does. I believe the parlance is 'fundamental' - I assume this means note to note separation/lack of lots of overtones/less blending. But that describes what I want regardless.
So, the OM1 looks the bet, but then we have various different versions - torrified, adirondack vs sitka vs hog tops, varnish etc. I love the idea of the JL but I need a 1 3/4 nut.
Of course there're other makes too - bourgeois do an impressive looking and sounding aged tone adirondack OM (guitarguitar at 5k currently - can't find what these were new) but that's at the top of my budget.
I know I really should play them, but lockdown ain't over nor will my freetime allow driving all over to check them out. 
I've sold all my previous martins, so not sure they're for me but back then I didn't really know what I wanted - they were rosewood too.
I'm not interested in bling adornments or inlays. I am willing to deviate from traditional body shapes if I find the guitar I want. The OM2H can and probably will be moved on in some form - trade or sale.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    Santa cruz?  I love my custom OM/PW Italian spruce top fiddleback mahogany back and sides,previously owned a  Preston Thompson superb guitars also but harder to find over here 
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    edited May 2021
    Might be worth contacting the chaps at Brook Guitars and have something made...
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Mahogany OM you say?
    Harmony H165 and save yourself several thousand. 

Well you did ask for opinion 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikewmikew Frets: 16
    Indeed I did. I’ll check em out! Thanks. 
  • FunkyGibbonFunkyGibbon Frets: 14
    I’ll be interested to follow this thread. I have a 00-15m a D28-GE and an OM28. There’s no doubt that the guitar in my head is a ‘hog. 

I have found that the Adirondack on the D18-GE brings a real zing which I love. I have discovered that I like the om body size but am picky about scale length. I’d suggest you try as many as possible and pay attention to the variables. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I’d also suggest looking at the Martin Sinker Mahogany models
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    If you would like a parlour guitar, GuitarGuitar have an offer for the Taylor 322e but you'll need to be patient. Expected in about  - 10 weeks from memory.

Similarly, Auden have an all mahogany Parlour but they are waiting for stock. I got fed up waiting and went for a cedar and mahogany Emily Rose. 
    I’m avoiding taylor (already have one that I really should move on and I’m not looking for that sound). Have a lovely parlour courtesy of Castro (thanks Steve!). It’s really the 000/OM maybe 00 size I’m after as that’s what I play the most. 
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    You can't go wrong with a Bourgeois 
    I own 2 dreads, one with an adi top and hog back and sides and one with a torrified adi top and Madagascar RW back and sides
    Both killer guitars. I've never played one of their OMs but I can't imagine they'd be anything less than incredible, especially if it's got an Adi top. Watch a video of Dana Bourgeois tap tuning and voicing a guitar top and you suddenly realise you're spending your money on something very special.

I purchased them both from the states and had them shipped here as they are pretty hard to find in the UK

Collings OM 1 Traditional would be worth checking out too- it's basically like the JL but with a 1 3/4 nut

• Does anybody favour a particular type of mahogany? Fiddleback always seems to sound that bit more impressive but maybe my ears are lying.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 728
    I know I keep banging on about this guitar and it's an OO not an OM, but it's certainly very mahogany (back, sides, neck). Lovely tone, exceedingly good value. Worth a try?

Vintage V300MH - Acoustic Guitars from Reidys Home of Music UK
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 72
    @mikew I have the all mahogany Atkin OM, which I think is fabulous (and that's coming from a rosewood guy!). You're welcome to try it some time if you're interested. I'm not sure if they make it as a standard model any more though. 1 3/4 nut.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 72
    Sorry Mike, I didn’t spot this was an old thread.
    Easy to do!