Name That Chord Game

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    My guess is that the bassist is playing a fretless. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    Not difficult really, but I’m always intrigued about how people perceive this 8x777x

Love this chord from Sco 3x6643
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Brad said:
    Not difficult really, but I’m always intrigued about how people perceive this 8x777x

D/C.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2021
    In this easy piece by Stockhausen, what key is it in? :o

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    There is a chord I love and use a lot in DADGAD tuning:

11100x -- Eb Bb Eb G A (and you can add in the top D if you want something really crunchy).
    or you can play x01010, which is the same notes with A in the bass and sounds very different.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Philtre said:
    Brad said:

D/C.
    Yep, my brain always calls that the Lydian chord. It’s the same as the F#/E of 044300, which goes nicely down to 022100. Vai / MacAlpine play it in Giant Balls of Gold

https://youtu.be/92iI99Z94jU
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited May 2021
    Brad said:

I can’t play that!

edit: managed it

https://i.imgur.com/dcgHCuW.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    Philtre said:
    Brad said:

D/C.
    Yep, my brain always calls that the Lydian chord. It’s the same as the F#/E of 044300, which goes nicely down to 022100. Vai / MacAlpine play it in Giant Balls of Gold

Not heard that tune in years! But yeah D/C, Lydian chord etc. What else could it be and how could it function?

viz said:
    Brad said:

I can’t play that!

edit: managed it

https://i.imgur.com/dcgHCuW.jpg
    Brilliant :smile: 

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 396
    Reminds me of a joke that you probably can't tell any more, involving a Chinese guy and Stevie Wonder....

edited May 2021
    Brad said:
    viz said:
    Philtre said:
    Brad said:

D/C.

Not heard that tune in years! But yeah D/C, Lydian chord etc. What else could it be and how could it function?

Well, the Giant Balls of Gold (and Flying in a Blue Dream and any other of that Lydian stuff) uses the chord as though the lower of the two chords (C in your example) is the root. 

Of course the upper part (the D) could be the root, and the C note in the bass is for instance part of a descending bass line. Like in I’m Gonna Leave You, but in the major key. And in D not Am. 

So like for example

10 x 777 x (D)
    8x777x     (D/C)
    75578x     (G 1st inv)
    65578x     (Gm 1st inv)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:

Well, the Giant Balls of Gold (and Flying in a Blue Dream and any other of that Lydian stuff) uses the chord as though the lower of the two chords (C in your example) is the root. 

Of course the upper part (the D) could be the root, and the C note in the bass is for instance part of a descending bass line. Like in I’m Gonna Leave You, but in the major key. And in D not Am. 

So like for example

10 x 777 x (D)
    8x777x     (D/C)
    75578x     (G 1st inv)
    65578x     (Gm 1st inv)

Very nice. So yeah, I also see it a 3rd inv 7th chord (in this case D7). 

ii - 8x798x
    V - 8x777x
    I - 7x577x

Interesting how a chord can be used/seen in different ways
    edited May 2021
    Brad said:
    viz said:

So like for example

10 x 777 x (D)
    8x777x     (D/C)
    75578x     (G 1st inv)
    65578x     (Gm 1st inv)

ii - 8x798x
    V - 8x777x
    I - 7x577x

Yep that’s the same as my bold one, ja? It’s a D chord with a b7 in it / innit?

The other slightly similar thing is when you make a chord with a 2 in the bass instead of a b7. Which is a compound chord. Like the F/G in We Are Family

A: x0222x
    G: 3x003x
    D 1st: 2x023x
    F over G: 3xx211

Even though it’s called F/G it’s a hybrid between a b6 chord and a b7 chord. You could almost call it a G7 (add 2 add 4, no 3 no 5) or something

I love that compound chord. It’s also great as a hybrid IV and V chord, so in A major, instead of playing E7, you play “D/E” as a closer-knit version of it, in a straight barre on the middle strings (0777x).  Tender and sweet yet woody and fibrous somehow. 

viz said:
    Brad said:
    viz said:

So like for example

10 x 777 x (D)
    8x777x     (D/C)
    75578x     (G 1st inv)
    65578x     (Gm 1st inv)

ii - 8x798x
    V - 8x777x
    I - 7x577x

Yep that’s the same as my bold one, ja? It’s a D chord with a b7 in it / innit?

The other slightly similar thing is when you make a chord with a 2 in the bass instead of a b7. Which is a compound chord. Like the F/G in We Are Family

A: x0222x
    G: 3x003x
    D 1st: 2x023x
    F over G: 3xx211

Even though it’s called F/G it’s a hybrid between a b6 chord and a b7 chord. You could almost call it a G7 (add 2 add 4, no 3 no 5) or something

I love that compound chord. It’s also great as a hybrid IV and V chord, so in A major, instead of playing E7, you play “D/E” as a closer-knit version of it, in a straight barre on the middle strings (0777x).  Tender and sweet yet woody and fibrous somehow. 

Yep absolutely! 

Those IV/V chords are a great in place of the usual V(7). All over the shop on the Gospel scene... Rock With You, Bright Size Life by Metheny etc. I've seen them called (quite erroneously IMO) as G11. I guess G9sus is a better name... or good old F/G. But yeah, a lovely open sound. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3491
    Philtre said:

In my mind, I've often played C Maj Neutral to certain bandmates...
    OK, all you technical musos. You thought you could name that chord? Think again...

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1374
    Philtre said:
    OK, all you technical musos. You thought you could name that chord? Think again...

Following this thread with delight, and utterly no understanding whatsoever. Gotta love his T shirt
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    Philtre said:

He’s so good it’s laughable. It’s good to have a reality check every now and then :smile: 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1797
    Brad said:
    Philtre said:

He’s so good it’s laughable. It’s good to have a reality check every now and then :smile: 
    Hardly surprising given the kid's father. Probably had compose a song to ask for his breakfast cereal in the morning.
    Brad said:
    Philtre said:

Hardly surprising given the kid's father. Probably had compose a song to ask for his breakfast cereal in the morning.
    Haha indeed. Poor kid didn’t stand a chance eh? :wink: