SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Rift Amp 5E3 ("Tweed Deluxe") Handwired Tweed Amp

What's Hot
john_skaarjohn_skaar Frets: 24
edited November 2021 in Amps £
(SOLD)

Hi all!  B

For sale is my Handwired Rift Amp 5E3 "Tweed Deluxe" which has unfortunately become surplus to requirements as space has become limited and it doesn't get the playing time it deserves since it's mostly at lower volumes. I purchased the amp from a user on The Fretboard late last year (2020) but it has unfortunately not had much use since then.

The amplifier was inspected by an amp tech while it was owned by the previous owner who I purchased it from. It was not in need of any servicing, however the owner wanted it to be checked over and given the green light. It was given a clean bill of health and at the same time the tech recommended switching 3 capacitors, not out of necessity, but something that is commonly done on a 5E3 amp in order to stiffen up the power supply and get a better bass response (5E3s are known to become a little “woofy” in their bass response at higher volumes, which is not to everyone's taste depending on what pickups you use, so this is a positive change that brings the bass response under control). I have the original capacitors which will be included in the sale, plus a copy of the service invoice, and the change is fully reversible if desired.

The nice thing with the Rift 5E3 amplifier is that it also has an additional external speaker out jack, so you can add another speaker cabinet if desired, and you can change the current setup and historically correct combination of 5Y3 rectifier + 6V6 power tubes running at 15 watts to an alternative combination of GZ34 rectifier + 6L6 power tubes giving 20 watts, without needing to re-bias the amp at all, it’s just a case of switching the valves.

Running in the preamp section is one 12ax7 tube and one 12ay7 tube, which is accurate for a 5E3, allowing for sweet cleans when the guitar volumes is rolled back, and becoming searing leads as you increase the volume.

As mentioned, I purchased this amplifier late last year, and in that time I have changed the three potentiometers as one was a little scratchy, and all three had plastic shafts, so I opted to replace them all with brass-shaft types from CTS to be sure they are as good as can be. A longer speaker cable has been fitted to allow the use of an attenuator (the original one was a little too short to reach an attenuator sitting on top of the amp!).

As far as workmanship goes, I have been told Rift are hard to beat. Looking at the amplifier, I have no doubt in believing this and I can see why they are getting such a following! I'm looking to get back what the amp has cost me.

£(SOLD) collected Farnham, Surrey, no offers or trades please. I'm happy to arrange a courier at your cost, or drive to meet halfway up to 2 hours (which I would prefer over shipping, if possible). Original packaging is included!  3

Images can be found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/john_skaar/albums/72157719104640872
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• john_skaarjohn_skaar Frets: 24
    A little bump  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReflexReflex Frets: 60
    I love my Rift Tweed.  I’ve said it on here before, but it’s the one amp that ended my search of about 4 years (and 20 different amps).

GLWS!
    Reflex said:
    I love my Rift Tweed.  I’ve said it on here before, but it’s the one amp that ended my search of about 4 years (and 20 different amps).

GLWS!

I've heard that quite a few times from many Rift owners, and I certainly agree!

It does everything a combo should do, and it's such a shame I don't have more space or I would keep it (even if it would only get sporadic use!). It's such a waste to have it sitting and waiting, when it should be rocking and rolling! :blush: 

These little guys pack a serious punch, and as you push it more, they're like a guard dog on a leash when the postman turns up: just begging you to let it loose so it can go bananas! :grimace: 
    Bump  =)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    This is my old one and it’s a lovely amp. The WGS Black & Blue Alnico speaker is an absolute cracker, it sounds really great. I only sold the amp because I picked up a prototype Rift 5e3 with reverb from Chris, otherwise this Tweed 15 would have gone nowhere. GLWTS John!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    @fretfinder Thank you! It is your old one and I'm happy you checked in! I didn't want to mention your name in the listing since some people prefer not to be mentioned, but now that you're here that's not a concern :)

If you're interested in another 5E3 to accompany your new 5E3, you know where to find one! :lol: 
    Bump :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bump :D
    Bump!
  • Bump :)