Tell me about your Atkins

What's Hot
koss59koss59 Frets: 845
edited May 2021 in Acoustics
I’m going to be looking for a new acoustic soon.
My last nice acoustic was a Collings D2H but think it wasn’t versatile enough for what I need. It had to be beaten to get the best out of it and I want something that will strum well but also finger pick..

So I’m thinking about an OM or maybe J45 style as a good middle ground?
Atkin seem great value, I also want to keep to traditional styles so they seem to fit.

Anybody here have a J43 or OM by them?
Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 842
    Had an OM a few years ago and really liked it. Very well put together, made nice noises. Sadly let it go, because I’m an idiot.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Had an OM a few years ago and really liked it. Very well put together, made nice noises. Sadly let it go, because I’m an idiot.

• koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    Although I’ve not played one yet, they seem like great value compared to American made
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    I had The Forty Three... superb.

I came back from holiday wanting a J45, and played loads of them. 

Then in GG Birmingham, I played the Atkins. It was reliced and blew every Gibson away.

Great guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    ......and I bought the above mentioned Forty Three from Warren......... and I'm still grateful......she's a beaut!
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    Would you guys say that a J43 would be a great middle ground guitar for strumming and finger style?
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 451
    I have the 47 brilliant guitar - my favourite acoustic that I have had (including my Collings CJ35 - couldn't get on with the nut width)

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    koss59 said:
    Would you guys say that a J43 would be a great middle ground guitar for strumming and finger style?
    Quite simply, yes !
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    I have an OM28H Retrospective that I got from Alister nine years ago after trying several guitars at his workshop. Simply, it's a superb guitar: Incredibly well built, very easy to play compared to many acoustics and lovely tone. It's very much a keeper. I play mainly finger style on it.

The 43 is also a great guitar. But, to be honest, all his guitars are IMO up there with the American boutique builders. In fact I sold a Santa Cruz OM before getting the Atkin.

I'd say just try a bunch of the Atkins and see what suits you best.
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    I have an Atkin 47, it’s stunning.I would implore anyone interested in an Atkin guitar to check out Jordan Hollinrake on YT. He plays a 36 and an OM essential.He’s a talented musician and writes some lovely stuff.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I've got an Atkin Essential D. Strong lightweight build and great balanced tone with good volume and projection.
    Very nice and I recommend going and trying the range yourself, too important to buy online IMHO.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    ESBlonde said:
    I've got an Atkin Essential D. Strong lightweight build and great balanced tone with good volume and projection.
    Very nice and I recommend going and trying the range yourself, too important to buy online IMHO.

Was very impressed with the Essential D when I tried one.  I think I preferred it to the 43.
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    I have an Atkin 47, it’s stunning.I would implore anyone interested in an Atkin guitar to check out Jordan Hollinrake on YT. He plays a 36 and an OM essential.He’s a talented musician and writes some lovely stuff.
    Thanks so much for a shoutout to Jordan Hollindrake. Lovely player. The 36 and 000 sound so so great and very different to each other. I now need both :)