First crack at home recording

What's Hot
I’m trying to begin using GarageBand and an audio interface I got last year and this is a first crack at it. I wrote a little tune that my missus liked so I had a go at recording it. 

I’ve a long way to go, but it’s a start.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    You've got the basics down well and the sound is good (but then I would say that as I have the same Boogie as you do).

In time you can pay more attention to the mix and, for the video, the lighting, but they are not so urgent.

I am not surprised that your wife and children like it. Maybe this will encourage you to do more recordings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I really liked it.

As you say, some way to go on the recording front but it's a great tune.  I listened all the way through which doesn't happen with 90% of the stuff that get's posted.

I'd far sooner hear a diamond in the rough, like this, than some well produced turd that's been rolled in glitter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Good work...you realise you will now be confined to that room for the rest of your days...;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Thank you for the feedback, it is very encouraging. 

As much as anything this was a test to see if I could sync up video and the sound. What I wasn’t expecting is how long it takes to set everything up, even in a really basic form like this. I guess things will speed up a bit when I get used to it.

I’ll try to improve lighting next time and make sure I’m facing the camera a bit more!

• spark240 said:
    Good work...you realise you will now be confined to that room for the rest of your days...;-)
    It doubles up as my WFH office so it already feels like I spend all my time in there.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627

spark240 said:
    It doubles up as my WFH office so it already feels like I spend all my time in there.

You're both making this sound as though it's a bad thing???!!!
  • boehmiteboehmite Frets: 7
    Great stuff and keep going! Many of us are just ahead or behind you and the world of recording your own stuff is almost as engrossing (I say almost!) as guitars. I’ve had huge help from some of the great YouTube channels....for example, The Studio Rats guys are brilliant.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343

As much as anything this was a test to see if I could sync up video and the sound. 
    When I've done it, I  used a very clear audible event ("1, 2, 3, clap") at the start and end of the track.

As long as you've got audio being recorded on your video device too, you can then sync between the video-capture device and the  audio on the PC/Mac.

I've also found, strangely, that timings can vary very slightly between two separate devices, which means you start in-sync at the beginning of a track, and end up out of sync at the end.  Only by fractions of a second perhaps, but noticeable.  iMovie allows you to tie them back to together.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Sounds good, what interface is it, Miss Munckee is doing A level music next year and I said I would get her a set up.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3008
    munckee said:
    Sounds good, what interface is it, Miss Munckee is doing A level music next year and I said I would get her a set up.
    I went for the rather vanilla Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I think for my needs it’s fine. It seems solid, sounds decent and was easy to install on my MacBook. A lot of the bundled software didn’t work initially because the vendors hadn’t caught up with the Catalina upgrade of OSX, but it all seems fine now. I also quite like that every so often Focusrite give away a free plugin to mess with.

Together with my iLoud monitors and Akai MPK mini keyboard,it makes for a nice little ‘hobbyist’ level setup. My daughter is doing music GCSE at the moment and she keeps bugging me to upgrade to Logic as that is what they use at school.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Sounds good and nice playing! Drums need to be a little louder but other than that very good for a first go :)