garageband/cakewalk ???

What's Hot

Hi all, been away a while with illness but a while back some of you kindly helped me start recording some tracks using an iMac with garageband, where I just did some solo efforts.

I have come across a lot of people who use cakewalk/reaper and many others.

I am trying to record a number of tracks using garageband, say some rhythm/lead/bass, adding vocals as well - when I then get all tracks to play together I get quite a bit of interference from one to another as if one is blotting the other out a bit (almost like some mobile phones when everyone talks at same time and transmissions seem intermittent !). The result is a bit second rate unfortunately.

Any thoughts/advice ? Would cakewalk or other be just the same or a better place to go ??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3631

It's very hard to diagnose these problems remotely, especially without sound clips / screenshots, but I would very much doubt that this is a Garage Band issue.  From your description I am wondering whether you are recording 'too hot' (levels too high) and that you have eaten up all of your headroom (i.e. exceeded the max signal level on the mix), but that's just a guess based on very limited information.

Can you post an audio clip on something like Sound Cloud?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep.. need more info.  If you have monitoring set wrong on your interface or setup your can get crossover sound which can sound like that.  

If you solo a track do you hear other instruments?
  • Jimbo55Jimbo55 Frets: 7
    Thank you both - you may of hit the nail on the head already - probably am recording too high, and causing crossover - let me experiment again later - my forever amateur music abilities make me a bit too shy and humble to put up my attempts so far !
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    I'm a long term Cakewalk user. It's really a PC only product, but they released a very good Mac OS prototype a few years ago. I don't know if it's still available but I have it running on a Mac Mini, and its really good. Worth having a look if you can still get it. And it's free.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Just had a look, still available - 

https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR-Mac-Prototype

Hi everyone and many thanks for your advice on this - sorry had an absence again after breaking my trigger finger on my left (fretting) hand and mending slowly now although still achey - can't bend it enough yet for an open D chord but can do a lazy style bar D !
    Understand what you are all saying about the garageband/cakewalk platforms and that my problem isn't there but more like my amateur level of playing and absolute beginner level recording ! I have a few year old IMac with a large screen that I run the garageband on. I do have a windows PC laptop, that I guess I could run cakewalk on, but need to keep this machine free for work purposes - so for the timebeing will stick with garageband.
    Back to my fundamental recording problems, I've overcome my shyness, and realised that I can take a few clips on my iphone and put them here for comments, however brutal !
    I am trying to play the status quo song 'In My Chair', against the youtube video: (2) Status Quo - In my Chair 1971 - YouTube
    I have three clips, the first being a 10s burst of the rhythm, the second a similar length lead riff (maybe slightly out of time in itself), and then the third the first two run together (although probably a tad out of alignment).
    Seems to me that the lead is suppressing parts of the rythym rather than purely playing over it.
    The wave forms may suggest if I have been recording at too high or low levels. I have tried to adjust the volume of the separate parts.
    I welcome any help !
    Now, I have to work out how to attach the clips .....which may have to follow asap - they seem to be big files on the phone

trying to attach clips here, seem to be failing !
    the 3 movie clips are about 15/16Mb each ??
    this might work:  https://www.dropbox.com/t/ex5bKzldhF9HqVQi
    apols for amateur-ism, just desperate/keen for help
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited May 2021
    Ok... timing issues aside... listening on earbuds and looking at the vid.

you have no stereo separation on those two tracks... they are both panned dead centre and are competing for the same space... pan one left slightly and pan the other right slightly... watching that vid the riff is slightly left and the rhythm a touch right.

what are you listening to the playback on?
    many thanks poopot(!) - I will retry this afternoon separating - 'competing for same space' are words that I feel applicable !
    Just for convenience I have listened to playback from the iMac speakers, rather than an external monitor - I guess that may be wise to connect to ?
    Jimbo55 said:
    many thanks poopot(!) - I will retry this afternoon separating - 'competing for same space' are words that I feel applicable !
    Just for convenience I have listened to playback from the iMac speakers, rather than an external monitor - I guess that may be wise to connect to ?
    You need to be listening back on either decent monitors or at least some decent headphones...
    You won’t hear the stereo spectrum properly from the inbuilt iMac speakers.

this is my entry into the latest cover challenge:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/3ssjE8d9GK9zYRuBA

Stick some headphones on and listen with eyes shut... concentrate on where you can “see” the different instruments are...

once you get the hang of panning for space it’s onto eq’ing for space ;)

As a guide:
    1) record everything with the best performance..
    2) leave everything panned up the centre and balance levels so it sounds... well... balanced
    3) start panning instruments/tracks so they sit in their own space.  (If it sounds good in step 2 it’ll sound great after step 3)
    4) eq (if needed) for separation...

they are very basic steps... I’m fairly sure folk with more knowledge will be along soon to correct me :)

Thank you so much for your time 'poopot', it is very appreciated.
    Very impressed with your cover challenge - I must have a further look at this area.
    That all makes good sense and I would not have known this without your help - I will certainly be on the case this afternoon as I had got a bit down and going nowhere up to now !
    Google “how to mix” there is an almost unlimited amount of information... 

you’re using GarageBand right? Build a project using the inbuilt loops, they have been recorded well so it removes that from the equation. Doesn’t have to be a 10minute long song... make something about a minute long with a dozen tracks or so in it...

play around with mixing that and learn what to do...

then have a crack at recording your own stuff...