... takes pedals well... ~ what does that mean ?.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    mellowsun said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    To clarify- I have nothing against pedals, pedals are great fun. I just am sort of mystified that a lot of pedal lovers seem to like pedals through amps which, to me, don't actually take pedals all that well. :)) Maybe it is just preference...
    Perhaps it depends on what types of drive sounds you like. I like to hear a lot of string separation so I prefer a clean amp with a bit of overdrive from a good pedal, and not too much midrange. I like Fender amps a lot, but I would never try to push one into fully saturated drive as it would sound shit, to my ears at least.
    Yeah that's entirely possible. Funnily enough, I quite like a DS1 (or digitech hot head) on the odd occasion I want a nice separated drive sound (like you mentioned), and I know a lot of people hate them. But for that type of tone, they're really pretty good.
    Not taking pedals well can manifest itself in a few ways. 

Some modelers sound like fizzy piss if you put an overdrive in front of them Fender Mustang, Zoom G3 (I know it isn't an amp)

Some solid state amps sound horrible if you boost them to the point of clipping 

Some nice bright clean amps make fuzz pedals and distortions sound bloody horrible. Often Fenders with the bright switch engaged suffer from this. 

Totally agree that amps that have good drive channels usually take pedals better in the first place. It stands to reason as it's not just the preamp that matters, it's also the speakers and power amp.
    good points
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    edited July 2014
    I've had amp which sounds terrible with pedals in front of it. Orange Tiny Terror sounded awful with any OD pedal I could find, phase sounded weak and crap. Peavey Bandit...awful. Same pedals in front of a 74 Vox Lead sounded sweet! Fender Deluxe 85 - same thing, except the phase sounded alot nicer. Same chain, same everything.

never knew why this is, just know that it happens.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited July 2014
    I've had amp which sounds terrible with pedals in front of it. Orange Tiny Terror sounded awful with any OD pedal I could find, phase sounded weak and crap. Peavey Bandit...awful. Same pedals in front of a 74 Vox Lead sounded sweet! Fender Deluxe 85 - same thing, except the phase sounded alot nicer. Same chain, same everything.

never knew why this is, just know that it happens.
    The bandit sounded bad? I run my od channel relatively clean (light crunch) and use that as my base sound for pop rock and punky, as well as clean arpeggios, a Duncan power grid set as an eq and volume boost to get into heavy crunch (just saturates the preamp) and add a tubescreamer for lead (mids and compression). The power grid sounds great into the clean channel, too (though it's a bit of a grainy sound), I can remove loads of treble on the power grid to keep the bright switch in on the amp and enjoy wonderful bright cleans but not get a nasty drive sound. When the volume is up, you can even boost it with a clean boost into overdrive, though only with the bright switch OUT. Otherwise, it's really painful to hear... I'm never making that mistake again! I think it behaves much like some of the fender amps I've used, particularly the silverface ones (blackface probably the same). If you have a bright clean sound, you simply cannot boost it unless your pedal has a dedicated treble control to suck loads out. The DRRI was definitely like this, clipped horribly. I wound up buying a Laney instead. Edit: my formatting has gone to pot. I apologise. Bloomin phone. Another amp that apparently isn't keen on some pedals is the vox ac30. Actually, I'd agree with the phaser - is works, but it isn't like a really thick sound, it's just... Phased. On most other amps, phaser always sounds pretty magic!
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Oh yeah the tiny terror is definitely an amp which takes pedals badly, not nearly enough headroom.

Hot Rod Deluxes sound quite good with pretty much anything you put in.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    ...do you think you could ever describe a girl in a similar coloquialism...?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>