Which recording software to go with ( newbie )

What's Hot
Hi guys 

I am just  dipping into recording  my guitar  . 

I have purchased SSL2+ , that came with loads of software , including Ableton lite ( I already have that ) and pro tools-first .

Before that I read the recent  thread about best/easy use DAW , and Studio One Prime was recommended , so I have downloaded it to see what it is.

The thing is , I don't know any of these Daws and wanted to choose wisely and learn one well , rather than spend weeks wasting my time .

I will be recording guitar , working along with Superior drummer and possibly adding other bits and bobs when I learn more .

Which program out of these ,would be the most useful to learn from scratch?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Im using Studio One...I like the format and workflow and theres a strong social community of helpers .

You will find various opinions here on this, from Logic, Ableton, Reaper...Pro Tools maybe a steep learning curve for a newcomer.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Studio one is meant to be easy to use , but that's all I heard .

I have just installed pro tools to see what it is like .
    During the plug-ins scan , pro tool didn't add Superior drummer 3 . 
    Is that mean SD3 isn't going to work with this program ?

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 911
    edited May 2021
    I've not used Pro Tools but I am a Studio One user.
    If you want to use Superior drummer then be aware - I'm pretty sure you can't use third party VST Plug-ins (either instruments and FX) with Studio One Prime - that only comes with the Artist and Pro versions.
    I believe you can get this as an add-on but it will cost you.
    Might be it's a similar story with your version of PT but as I said, I'm not a user so I can't confirm. 

For what it's worth, all DAWs have a learning curve. Some things might be easier to do in some than others but they all have their quirks and processes which you will get accustomed to as you learn how to use them.
    There isn't a "best" one - all the main ones do a good job. 

Have you tried Reaper?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have double checked with presonus and Yeah , you can't use plug-ins with free studio one . 
    Artist version will allow me to use what I want , but it comes with over £80 price tag .

I might stick with Ableton lite  for a little while , which works with SD3 .
    But , having played about in Studio one , I much prefer the UI and easy of use .

I didn't like pro tools , but only really used it briefly and so probably not the best judgement .
    As for the reaper , no , I havent used it yet . 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited May 2021
    Just FYI, Presonus regularly do offers on their licences, and you also get artist bundled free with their controllers and interfaces. 

If you were even vaguely thinking about, for example, a midi drum pad or something, The original Atom is under a hundred, comes with Artist, and is fully integrated as an all round controller for studio one, making your workflow considerably easier. 

I can also recommend the Solo Faderport and the Atom SQ (both of which I also have - see pic!) although they're a bit more money. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Reaper is pretty straightforward to use and very functional. 
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Sounds to me like you’re suffering from PC syndrome.  It could be injurious to your health, so switch to Mac while your brain still works.
    Then you will automatically have GarageBand for free.  It is far and away the best DAW to learn on, and it is extremely capable.  What’s more, if you feel you need more bells and whistles you can get Logic and simply import all the songs you have recorded in GB seamlessly.
    GB will do everything you want for a good while, and it is easily the most int
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Just get reaper and roll with it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    JohnS37 said:
    Sounds to me like you’re suffering from PC syndrome.  It could be injurious to your health, so switch to Mac while your brain still works.
    Then you will automatically have GarageBand for free.  It is far and away the best DAW to learn on, and it is extremely capable.  What’s more, if you feel you need more bells and whistles you can get Logic and simply import all the songs you have recorded in GB seamlessly.
    GB will do everything you want for a good while, and it is easily the most int
    Nah I am ok with my laptop :) ,which I have also upgraded with Nvme drive  . 
    So , Reaper is free , easy and will take SD3 and other plug-ins ?
    edited May 2021
    Just FYI, Presonus regularly do offers on their licences, and you also get artist bundled free with their controllers and interfaces. 

If you were even vaguely thinking about, for example, a midi drum pad or something, The original Atom is under a hundred, comes with Artist, and is fully integrated as an all round controller for studio one, making your workflow considerably easier. 

I can also recommend the Solo Faderport and the Atom SQ (both of which I also have - see pic!) although they're a bit more money. 

I am not in the tech mood to add more instruments at the moment .
    Thanks for ideas though , and if you happen to have too many free ' Artist' versions lying around ,that you got with hardware , then give us a shout
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    I'm a recent 'returnee' to the world of home recording and I'm using Cakewalk. It's a free fully functioned DAW based on the previous full version of Sonar and I like it, it also comes with some Plug-In's for you to experiment with before you lay out any moolah.

Previously I used Reaper and I liked that too but note it isn't free, you have a trial period but after that you have to pay. Nevertheless, it's damn good value and the forum is, or at least was, a very good and informative community. It has a very good UI and most common commands can be done with a 'right click' . Also, in addition to some really good instructional vids on YT, there are also manuals available from Amazon.       
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Jazzthat said:
    So , Reaper is free , easy and will take SD3 and other plug-ins ?
    Reaper is not free, it's $60.  You can trial it for free then you either pay what is a very reasonable price or else continue to use it under a special 'worthless, freeloading, scumbag' licence =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Jazzthat said:

Thanks for ideas though , and if you happen to have too many free ' Artist' versions lying around ,that you got with hardware , then give us a shout
    I very recently sold the last two Artist licences that I wasn't using! Sorry! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    @Jazzthat - check out KVR classifieds, theres always someone selling Presonus software ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    @Jazzthat - check out KVR classifieds, theres always someone selling Presonus software ...
    Cool , thanks for that .
    Jazzthat said:

I very recently sold the last two Artist licences that I wasn't using! Sorry! 
    No worries  
  • So, after dabbling with Studio One for a couple of weeks, I uninstalled it yesterday and returned to Reaper, that's my happy place.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922