Mic to use with DSLR for video

AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
edited May 2021 in Studio & Recording
Can anyone recommend an external mic for recording video at home with a Canon DSLR? - An EOS 77D to be precise.
It's for acoustic guitar videos. 

I should mention I'm used to recording acoustic with my DAW via condenser mics and a Focusrite Scarlett. I'm not necessarily expecting that kind of fidelity but something that's certainly better than the camera's internal mic

*edit* -
I've realised I'll probably better off using one of my existing mics with a small mic-preamp into the camera

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3670
    edited May 2021
    Synch it in edit after

Film the playing using the internal camera mic and at the same time record the guitar with your DAW.

You can use a clap or similar to provide a synch reference but some video editors do it, 

In your video editor drop the video track and the high quality audio track and align to the noise you made and then kill the camera’s audio... then export a pristine sounding video.

PC or MAC? Which editor? 

Your other method will work but I like to have options to mix / clean up audio before putting it all together.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    Synch it in edit after

Film the playing using the internal camera mic and at the same time record the guitar with your DAW.

Thanks but my DAW is a desktop in my basement and I want to video in other locations so what I'm really after is a portable solution.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3670
    Your mic mixer/preamp into the camera's audio in will work... 

When videoing performances, i use an Ipad and the Auria app with our mixer/interface for portability and for filming at gigs though.  If your interface works with an ipad or phone you have both options... in camera, or mobile DAW.   Bandlab is good app too