Went to Brook yesterday

What's Hot
I went to Brook Guitars yesterday so they could take a look at my Taw and work on it a bit. It hasn't been attended to by anyone for a while and I'm not confident to do an acoustic myself. Simon gave it a fettle - it was fascinating watching him at work - and the guitar now plays and sounds as good as it ever has. 

it's such a special place and they're such nice people. For the first time, I even got there without taking a wrong turn! :-) 

There were a few nice guitars in the sales room looking for a new homes. I have no budget, sadly... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Without a singlee wrong turn, or bottoming out on the approach road? Good grief, give this man a cigar!

I plan to make the journey to Brook sometime this year for them to give my 12 string a tweak - I had to shave a fair bit off the saddle as it settled over the winter (not something I enjoyed doing, nor the truss rod tightening!)

They really are top blokes down there. At some point in my life I plan to add a small bodied guitar from them to my Tavy and Blackwater...

Enjoy the tweaked Taw!
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 706
    tone1 said:
    Watching this mini doc was push over the edge I needed to order something from them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    TDubs said:
    tone1 said:
    Watching this mini doc was push over the edge I needed to order something from them.
    I wish I was on commission  :3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    They are great guitars.  I bought one in 2004, but ended up selling it because I didn't get on with the shallow neck and flat fingerboard radius.  If I had the money, I would seriously think about commissioning one with a deeper neck and a more conventional fingerboard radius.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pjfpjf Frets: 330
    Loved my all mahogany Lyn and miss it (like I knew I would!). Went to a great home though back in its native Devon. Fantastic guitars.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    I had a Torridge which I wish I’d kept, but I’m in Devon next week so I may take a detour to their workshop, if I can find it. 
    I’d still like a sunburst Teign 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    As always, and now restrictions are being lifted, if anyone is near Stirling and would like to try out a Brook - let me know as you are most welcome to pop in and try mine.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    edited May 2021
    I got hopelessly lost the first time visiting after I put my faith in SatNav - circling around the narrow Devon lanes on recycling collection day!

Once you get used to it, it is actually quite easy - turn left as you come off the A30 bit, then 2nd on the left, 1st on the right, 1st on the left - and carry straight on up an improbable track where the road turns sharp right left just after (all the time praying you don't meet something coming in the other direction).

It is well worth it. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I should take my dad with me if I go.  He used to drive all the back roads of Devon for 30 years selling stuff to farmers.
    edited May 2021
    When I’m passing I’ll get you their ‘What 3 Words’ location 

https://what3words.com
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    GTC said:
    I got hopelessly lost the first time visiting after I put my faith in SatNav - circling around the narrow Devon lanes on recycling collection day!

Once you get used to it, it is actually quite easy - turn left as you come off the A30 bit, then 2nd on the left, 1st on the right, 1st on the left - and carry straight on up an improbable track where the road turns sharp right left just after (all the time praying you don't meet something coming in the other direction).

It is well worth it. 
    The last bit should have said "where the road turns sharp left" (and not right). No wonder I got lost!
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Been away for a few days without phone signal or wifi (I know!). For those who can use this sort of thing, here's the grid reference for Brook. There's a map on their website that is helpful, too...  FWIW, Apple maps navigated me there flawlessly from the main road - unlike my VW SatNav. 

OS Grid Ref: SX 73143 97323
    Latitude: 50° 45' 41" N
    Longitude: 3° 48' 0" W
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    Am hoping to pay a visit at some point for a setup on my Taw, but fear it's likely going to be an expensive visit hehe
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 255
    I should point out that it’s completely free of charge to make a visit to Brook, it only becomes expensive prior to leaving !!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I should point out that it’s completely free of charge to make a visit to Brook, it only becomes expensive prior to leaving !!!!
    And I’m currently staying 20 mins away.... ..I know what will happen if I go and I don’t really need another acoustic, what to do what to do? 
    Well I tried to visit on a couple of occasions, but each time I rang they were closing early and I was too far away to get there in time.... probably saved me some money. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    had to have a secret chuckle about this........................  its pretty much where I grew up and know those lanes well
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    That’s the truest thing I’ve read here! The only thing that hurts more than the pain in the wallet is the wait. But I think I’m past the halfway point in the gestation :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom