GAS'ing for a new acoustic in 2021 - With a happy ending!

What's Hot

Comments

• Ah ok, yeah it sounds similar, very top endy and bright though! Ironically my playing style matches the other guitarist in the video more, as he's primarily the rhythm guy. But I don't know what model he's playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 366
    Hi, it’s couldn’t remember what Furch I bought and have been locked down 120 miles away from it for four months guy here  :)

Back in my hands now and its a yellow G-CR - so it’s grand size with cedar top and rosewood back. Very glad to be back with it
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • I think I saw those had been discontinued? At least when I looked on their website back in January.
    I can’t really tell from their web site. I don’t know that much about acoustics other than what feels and sounds right to me and on the day when I set off intending to acquire a Martin this one came out tops for my personal taste.
  • Fair enough. I think Guitar Village which is about 45 minutes away from me has some Furch's in stock so once I can get in there I will definitely try some out. I may land on one I like.
    Fair enough. I think Guitar Village which is about 45 minutes away from me has some Furch's in stock so once I can get in there I will definitely try some out. I may land on one I like.
    That’s where I bought mine last summer
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    I think this is the one! Probably helps NG is the reason why I play the guitar in the first place and his playing style is similar to me (strummed chords).

I believe its either a HD28 reimagined or a D-something. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I’m no expert but black pick guard and large round fret markers suggest D rather than HD, I think. 
  • RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    edited May 2021
    The black pick guard simply states it’s pre-reimagined. Nothing to do with HD or D. The herringbone purfling is how you can tell the HD apart from the D. However, given the low resolution of the video, it’s actually hard to tell if the purfling is herringbone or not.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5265
    I started watching the video to see if I could get a look at the back or sides and work out if it was an -18 or a -28. But it's early morning and I don't want to wake anyone up. Watching someone you've never heard of sitting and playing with the sound turned off gets pretty boring, so I stopped. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm pretty sure its a HD28. I think I recall another thread on here about him talking about how he just picked one off the wall in a shop and loved it the moment he played it. He also uses the LR Baggs Anthem pickup which sounds great.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    There’s a HD-28 on Reverb at a reasonable price. 
    Should hopefully be trying out a D28 next week in store. They ain't got the HD28 in stock so I'll have to go to a different one to compare. But if the D28 is good enough for NG its good enough for me!
    Finally tried out a D28, a HD28e (with an LR Baggs Anthem) and a Grand something (auditorium?) model (cutaway) with a Fishman today.

I liked the D28 the most on feel, the HD28e sounded brighter and had that top end. Maybe it was the action but the guitar didn't feel as nice as the D28. The Grand one was my least favourite, and the Fishman pickup was a bit boomy and hard to control.

Will continue to try out different models though, Furch, Larivee etc. Was nice to try the ones out today.
    I'm kinda talking to myself now but I looked up more info on the Larrivee L-05 and it sounds really nice in the clips I've watched! Similar specs to a D28 I believe, unfortunately last week I only visited 1 of the 2 shops planned as a road accident held us up so we pretty much turned up at the 2nd shop 15 minutes before closing time! So we will go back hopefully this week well before closing time and no one has bought the D28 or L-05 so I can compare the two as they are similar in price. Maybe throw the HD28 into the mix as I believe there was one of those in stock too.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    If you head up towards Coda for any try-outs, let me know. I'm only a 20 minute drive from Coda (heading south-ish again, so possibly sort-of on your way back) and you'd be welcome to have a spin on my Furch if you don't get a chance anywhere else. Obviously (?) I only have the one, not being a shop etc. but ...
    Snags said:
    If you head up towards Coda for any try-outs, let me know. I'm only a 20 minute drive from Coda (heading south-ish again, so possibly sort-of on your way back) and you'd be welcome to have a spin on my Furch if you don't get a chance anywhere else. Obviously (?) I only have the one, not being a shop etc. but ...
    Where is Coda Music again? Stevenage? And what Furch model do you have?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    Yup, Coda is in Old Stevenage. I'm in Hertford, with a Furch G23CRC. In the current model range I think it's closest to a Yellow series.
    Ok cool will bear that in mind if I ever swing that way!

Looking like a decision between a Martin D28 and a Larrivee L-05 though.