GAS'ing for a new acoustic in 2021 - With a happy ending!

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    2nd visit yesterday to try out D28 and HD28e again. Took a mate to do a "blind test" and funnily enough I picked guitar 2 which happened to be the HD28. However the D28 felt more comfortable to play. Switched back and forth a few times and it was a tough decision. Tried a Larrivee L-05 which was very nice but the body was very big and it made it tricky to hold. Nice guitar though.

Ultimately I plumped for the D28. It always felt the nicest whenever I picked it up and when I played it for the first time I kinda knew it would be the one. Almost went for the HD28e but it was £600 more as it had the LR Baggs Anthem in it (it did sound great through an amp though).

The guitar has 12's which took some getting used to after years and years of 11-52's on the other acoustic I have. But I do like the mellow warm rounded tone this has. A beautiful sounding guitar and one I hope to have many years strumming out chords to!

*NB only when I was about to leave the shop the guy on the desk informed me Noel Gallagher bought his HD28 from the same place. I had just paid my deposit down and about to walk out....maybe I picked the wrong one haha.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5401
    A happy ending indeed! Very nice. 

On a point of detail, the strings are mediums, 13-56 Martin Lifespan Phosphor Bronze. So if you feel you need to, you could drop back a gauge and still be playing 12s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Absolute belter that.

I know what you mean about sometimes one just feels more like the right one - whatever specs or supposed differences between models are meant to mean. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493

Fine work.

A good D28 can be a lifetime guitar.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    Thanks chaps, very happy with my purchase, haven't stopped playing it since Friday. Was a great day for me indeed!

The guy who was handling the sale told me they were 12's, maybe they are 13's as they're a considerable jump up from what I'm normally used to. String bends are almost impossible! I may put Elixir's on instead though as I'm not overjoyed on these Martin 80/20's.

And yes, the feel just felt right the first time I picked it up, I kept going back to it after trying the others and it was meant to be I think.

I hope to keep it for life yes, its a fantastic investment. If lo behold I was forced to sell it they retain their value well apparently.

Now to find a nice condenser mic to record some clips of it, I did a few using an iRig studio mic but it doesn't do it justice, the natural unplugged sound is so nice!