My first full recording

Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
edited May 2021 in Making Music
I did a cover of a song I love. Go easy, but would welcome tips on mixing etc...I know my vocals are dodgy.

Cheers

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is pretty interesting man. Production-wise, is the bitcrushing/sample reduction intentional as a stylistic effect?? It would sound cool if the vocals didn't have it but the rest of the instruments did, IMO.

Vocals aren't bad!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited May 2021
    This is pretty interesting man. Production-wise, is the bitcrushing/sample reduction intentional as a stylistic effect?? It would sound cool if the vocals didn't have it but the rest of the instruments did, IMO.

Vocals aren't bad!

Hey man, thanks so much for listening and for commenting. I think it's over the top and it's starting to grate on me, so am thinking of removing it completely, it's izotope vinyl at modest settings, but even then is too overpowering. Would be nice to find a better alternative for giving that old school vibe. Good point about it perhaps being on everything but vocals. I'm no expert so slung it on the master track, which was a bit haphazard in hindsight! Haha.

Again, I really appreciate the advice, thank you, mate!

EDIT: @wiresdreamdisasters I've removed the grain etc, it's less of a distraction without :-)

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited May 2021
    Very nice! Love the minimalistic nature of it - i wouldn't change anything personally. 
  • Very nice! Love the minimalistic nature of it - i wouldn't change anything personally. 

Thank you so much for listening, means a lot to me, and thank you for the kind words! :-)

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 728
    edited May 2021
    Really Good. Reminded me of some early Peter Green tracks. Nice blues intonation in the voice. No idea why you are worried about your singing, thought it was great. Anyway, don't change it - it's yours! 

(Just listened to some of your other tracks on SoundCloud by searching on Fallen Row. Good stuff!)
  • DavidR said:
    Really Good. Reminded me of some early Peter Green tracks. Nice blues intonation in the voice. No idea why you are worried about your singing, thought it was great. Anyway, don't change it - it's yours! 

(Just listened to some of your other tracks on SoundCloud by searching on Fallen Row. Good stuff!)

@DavidR thank you so much for taking the time to listen and comment, it's very much appreciated.

I used this cover as a proof of concept in a way. It's vastly different to the stuff I write, but hearing comments like yours and others gives me confidence to start recording my own stuff now, which was the aim of getting this one recorded. Thanks again

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 248
    I liked it a lot. Far from dodgy, I thought your vocals had exceptional clarity.
  • Habanero said:
    I liked it a lot. Far from dodgy, I thought your vocals had exceptional clarity.

Thank you, @Habanero , that's very kind of you to say. I very much appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!!! :-)

• MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 239
    It's bang on is this @Jonathanthomas83 - guitar and vocals are as good as it gets
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Really liked that! Nowt wrong with that dude!...

do something for the cover challenge ;)
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited June 2021
    It's bang on is this @Jonathanthomas83 - guitar and vocals are as good as it gets
    Thanks very much, @MartinBush, that means a lot and I'm very grateful for the kind words!
    poopot said:
    Really liked that! Nowt wrong with that dude!...

do something for the cover challenge
    @poopot thank you very much! I may well take your advice, I really need more practice before attempting to mix my own music! :-) EDIT: @poopot just listening to your Kinks cover...absolutely superb! Love the vibes on that!

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    @poopot thank you very much! I may well take your advice, I really need more practice before attempting to mix my own music! :-) EDIT: @poopot just listening to your Kinks cover...absolutely superb! Love the vibes on that!
    Thanks... Get one in... Doesn't have to be the Kinks tune (although you'll get a bonus 5 pts)

Any song beginning with "A"