Monitor wedges....what's good?

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
Hey all, my band is in desperate need of a couple of new active monitor wedges, but on a limited budget. We'd prefer to buy new if possible within our budget but we don't really know what's any good.

If we have up to £400 for 2, what should we be looking at?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    The Laney ones seem pretty solid. Not the most refined, but they do the job. The 12" one is just outside your budget but the 10" one is well within.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/live-pa/pa-systems/monitors-foldback/laney-cxp110-powered-stage-monitor

I haven't seen inside the most recent series, but the slightly older ones are very old-school construction which is actually a good thing as they're much easier to repair if anything does go wrong in the longer term.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Funnily enough, I was just looking at those. If a 12" is going to be better for us, we can potentially up the budget a tad.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3633
    My recommendation would be one of these https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_mon_a10.htm however it's from Thomann and more than £135 meaning all that hassle with duty.  What is important is the style i.e. a proper wedge shape.  I also have an Alto TS210 which is a typical top that can be placed on its side design.  It may a 'better' speaker but the shape means that the tilt back angle is insufficient.  You eiether need to shove something underneath to tip it back or have it several feet in front of you.  The downside to the true wedge shape is that they take up more car boot space.

The singer in my band has a Laney CPX monitor - utterly useless.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021
    I wasn't sure if those 'The Box' jobbies were similar to Gear4Music's cheap SubZero range. But like you say, duty etc is a pain, and ideally we want them for next Thursday for a gig! No pressure!

Interesting re the Laney....
    Many years ago I had a G4M branded monitor (not the design they have today).  It was a really poor sound and it was the size of a small bungalow.  I haven't used the latest ones so I've no idea how they compare with the Thomann stuff.

Whatever you go for - check the input connection and be sure that you have the right leads.  The Laney is 1/4" TS only which can catch you out.

I find that 10" is fine for my needs (Vocals and Helix).
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    edited June 2021
    we use the behringer 205d's.   They're small and  you can mount them on a mic stand.   floor wedges only really work well if you're not standing right in front of them  as the sound just projects to your knees.   If you're playing on a smallish stage/ or in a pub space then often you don't get much room.

The advantage of raised monitors is that you don't have to have them so loud  as they're nearer your ears.  Plus they're smaller.. which is better..probably..
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited June 2021
    Bit over your budget but been using the 12 version of these Proels for the last 4 years and they haven’t missed a beat https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/floor-monitors/proel-wd10av2-active-floor-monitor?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzYGGBhCTARIsAHdMTQwnRx91SV__BXHF8SgJfmibeVwuN3YN2H7P6EAkS6xo-Wgtje_FEzsaAgJGEALw_wcB

Your welcome to come over to Shepton and have a listen
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    thomasw88 said:
    we use the behringer 205d's.  
    I also have a 205D.  As said above, they are great where space is at a premium.  Don't be put off by their sound in isolation, which is pretty nasty, they really cut through a mix which is often what you need.

Musicwolf said:
    thomasw88 said:
    we use the behringer 205d's.  
    I also have a 205D.  As said above, they are great where space is at a premium.  Don't be put off by their sound in isolation, which is pretty nasty, they really cut through a mix which is often what you need.

I've actually got one of these myself, but no-one else in the band seems keen on them. Will probably shift mine to the drummer on a mic stand then have the two floor wedges in front of the rest of us

thomasw88 said:
    we use the behringer 205d's.   They're small and  you can mount them on a mic stand.   floor wedges only really work well if you're not standing right in front of them  as the sound just projects to your knees.   If you're playing on a smallish stage/ or in a pub space then often you don't get much room.

The advantage of raised monitors is that you don't have to have them so loud  as they're nearer your ears.  Plus they're smaller.. which is better..probably..
    Out of interest, I've not tried it yet, but how do they handle bass? My bass player seems to struggle to hear himself (everyone else in the surrounding postcodes can!) so would want to put a smidge of bass through there 
    Bit over your budget but been using the 12 version of these Proels for the last 4 years and they haven’t missed a beat https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/floor-monitors/proel-wd10av2-active-floor-monitor?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzYGGBhCTARIsAHdMTQwnRx91SV__BXHF8SgJfmibeVwuN3YN2H7P6EAkS6xo-Wgtje_FEzsaAgJGEALw_wcB

Your welcome to come over to Shepton and have a listen
    They look really nice, and as you're 'in the business' then that's a good recommendation, though will probably be over budget unless we happen to find some second hand in good condition.
  • The DB Technologies Flexsys 10’s would be worth considering. They are very compact, very loud and sound great.

I used a pair as FRFR monitors in a modelling setup and also had a mix of vocals, bass and keys coming through them. 

They sounded very clear with loads of power to spare.

Unfortunately you would have to buy from Thomann and they would be slightly over budget. However I noticed they do have a B stock one available which would bring the price down slightly.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/db_technologies_flexsys_fm10.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 896
    I have also bought a Beringer 205d for my band. Pretty happy with it, it has plenty of volume and seems sturdy enough. We play fairly low volume/acoustic type stuff though, if you're playing heavy music maybe you'd want something different.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Are you set on new active monitors ? a set of 2nd passives and a stereo power amp will allow 2 independently monitor mixes and will almost certainly last longer than any new class D active monitor in your budget. It's not uncommon for some of the lower end  stuff to go faulty after less than 3 years. Some of the stuff is built to an unbelievably poor standard and a lot of the ratings are complete bullshit. Some of the models advertised as 250W are really 150W tops. Sadly even brands such as EV are selling this stuff.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Are you set on new active monitors ? a set of 2nd passives and a stereo power amp will allow 2 independently monitor mixes and will almost certainly last longer than any new class D active monitor in your budget. It's not uncommon for some of the lower end  stuff to go faulty after less than 3 years. Some of the stuff is built to an unbelievably poor standard and a lot of the ratings are complete bullshit. Some of the models advertised as 250W are really 150W tops. Sadly even brands such as EV are selling this stuff.  
    Not really considered passives, mostly because it's one extra thing to take and set up with a power amp and we're simple folk really! But...it's not necessarily ruled out.
    Anyone got any thoughts on the Behringer F1320D's? Seem to get decent reviews and a reasonable price...

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The DB Technologies Flexsys 10’s would be worth considering. They are very compact, very loud and sound great.

I used a pair as FRFR monitors in a modelling setup and also had a mix of vocals, bass and keys coming through them. 

They sounded very clear with loads of power to spare.

Unfortunately you would have to buy from Thomann and they would be slightly over budget. However I noticed they do have a B stock one available which would bring the price down slightly.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/db_technologies_flexsys_fm10.htm
    This - they are brilliant little monitors 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Musicwolf said:
    My recommendation would be one of these https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_mon_a10.htm however it's from Thomann and more than £135 meaning all that hassle with duty.  
    I've used the 12 and 15 versions of these Thomann boxes and they're excellent for the price. Well built and sound great. The Thomann own-brand speakers are generally pretty good value for money, I've used a lot of their Achat range on rentals and installs and been pleasantly surprised by the performance. 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I use a pair of Alto 10" and they're absolutely fine for wedges. Light, plenty loud enough and still going strong 4 years in for silly cheap. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 181
    edited June 2021
    Anyone got any thoughts on the Behringer F1320D's? Seem to get decent reviews and a reasonable price...

I like mine. They sound OK (not brilliant but perfectly decent). Fairly well made, loud enough for my needs. I have only had mine for sbout a year so not many gigs, but they seem sturdy enough. For the price I am happy. 

Edit: having the controls on the front rather than on the side is a big plus. Much more comfortable on a dark stage with a guitar hanging round your neck, and trying not to get tangled up with mic stands, cables etc.