Silly question regarding xlr to 1/4" cable

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    As a potential guerilla solution - do you have a clean boost pedal? If so, try running the mic through that and see if you can get a usable signal without too much noise.

For DI boxes, Orchid Electronics do a good quality one at a reasonable price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    As a potential guerilla solution - do you have a clean boost pedal? If so, try running the mic through that and see if you can get a usable signal without too much noise.

For DI boxes, Orchid Electronics do a good quality one at a reasonable price.
    I've got an Xotic SP Compressor if that counts?
    I think that would just raise your noise floor even higher unfortunately.
    The only other "clean boost" I used was an Ibanez Tubescreamer but I think that'd yield the same unwanted results!
    Yes, I was more thinking along the lines of that Hamstead lockdown initiative for touring band techs ..

edited June 2021
    Hmm for £159 RRP might actually be cheaper and easier to get a new mixer with 2 xlr inputs lol
    Absolutely. :)

But why can't the Shure transformer work with a line input? After all that's what I think it was made for....
    Those transformers can match the impedences but there's still the issue of microphone signal level being really low compared to line level - so you still might get too much noise even if you can get the level high enough by pushing the fader up.

Saying that, I used to use something like that back in the day (way back in the day) when we would bodge together a vocal PA out of a Frontline line mixer and a 100 watt Marshall head. It was probably pretty noisy but we didn't care so long as it was loud enough. :)

This is 'no longer available' at Studiospares but there are in-line microphone boosters with a built in pre-amp made these days. I've no experience with these personally though ...

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3097
     Going to ask the obvious question here, has anyone actually tried an sm57 into the balanced Jack input of the interface and was there sufficient signal from the mic?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    prowla said:
    What's the issue with converting balanced (3-pin XLR) to instrument (2-pin jack)?
    Because a 1/4 line input doesn't have the desired preamp gain to drive the microphone to acceptable volume without hissing and feedback?

Oh, is it a line-level input we're talking about here?
    prowla said:
    prowla said:
    What's the issue with converting balanced (3-pin XLR) to instrument (2-pin jack)?
    Because a 1/4 line input doesn't have the desired preamp gain to drive the microphone to acceptable volume without hissing and feedback?

Oh, is it a line-level input we're talking about here?
    Yes channel 2 on my mixer
     Going to ask the obvious question here, has anyone actually tried an sm57 into the balanced Jack input of the interface and was there sufficient signal from the mic?
    Apparently this doesn’t work due to mismatching impedences.

It's not as black and white as that. With a strong input signal and a quiet pre-amp with enough gain you can get away with it. Definitely experiment first to see whether the noise is acceptable or intrusive.

I've used a line input with drum mics in the past when that was the only option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

It's not as black and white as that. With a strong input signal and a quiet pre-amp with enough gain you can get away with it. Definitely experiment first to see whether the noise is acceptable or intrusive.

I've used a line input with drum mics in the past when that was the only option.
    This would be to mic an acoustic guitar so I’d imagine it’d need more pre amp gain than a drum kit say, I actually need to get myself an SM57 first though...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Hold on, the SM57 is to mic an acoustic guitar ! That's about the last mic I would use unless you're going for some lo fi blues thing. 

I have an SM57 and the Alto mixer and an acoustic guitar so could demo the kind of results you would get though 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Hold on, the SM57 is to mic an acoustic guitar ! That's about the last mic I would use unless you're going for some lo fi blues thing. 

I have an SM57 and the Alto mixer and an acoustic guitar so could demo the kind of results you would get though 
    Well, its only to get me through a guitar lesson with an acoustic with no electronics! I'm sure there's better mics out there for sure but the problem still remains I only have a line input on the Alto mixer (that you recommended I get actually) as its only got 1 xlr port which is used for my speaking voice.

Would be nice to hear the type of sounds I could get, that would be great!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Ok, I'll try it tomorrow if I get some time. Might be worth installing a basic piezo and pre amp though ... I repaired a Vintage acoustic guitar last week by changing the whole pre amp and the new pre amp came with pickup and strap button jack socket for the princely sum of £7.20 delivered. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited June 2021
    That's cool no real rush, whenever you get a chance. 

Well I thought of getting an LR Baggs M80 or something purely to use for live stream stuff. Its meant to be good in active mode as it has a preamp which I can plug straight into the mixer. Later on I will want to use it live at venues so can keep it for that too.

Can't beat the real microphone sound though.