Murphy Labs finish defects

What's Hot
So threads appearing on other forums, looks like there’s a substantial issue with the finishing on some of the Gibson Murphy Labs with paint flaking:

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/murphy-lab-finish-falling-off.456499/

seen someone suggest it could be a quarter of all the ML guitars, someone say it was just cherry ones and due to pore filler, another saying the different nitro had issue and going to be fixed. Messy.

Any way, heads up just in case anyone does have an instrument from this line. I do remember finishes aren’t generally covered by the Gibson warranty but I don’t think it’ll be a good look if they just shrug it off either.
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Looks like they are rushing the new checking process.

Queue lots of posts about paying extra for flaking examples ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Time was that a Murphy-aged Historic was a genuine rarity. When these new 'Murphy Lab' guitars dropped, the sheer number of them devalued the concept for me.

One thing's for sure: the replacement of Henry J hasn't been a magic bullet for Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Too much lacquer too soon by the looks of it. Rushed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I just can't be arsed with Gibson.

I hear far too many stories like that to touch one with a big stick.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Absolute joke. Funny that Fender made decent Road Worn guitars under £1k and skipped these issues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1717
    tFB Trader
    Play authentic 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    edited June 2021
    You pay thousands of dollars extra for a guitar to look like it's sixty years old and the finish is falling off. Then it does!

Excuse me while I roll around on the floor laughing...

(I see Wez got there first :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Copying PRS now, sigh. We’ve come full circle. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolute joke. Funny that Fender made decent Road Worn guitars under £1k and skipped these issues. 
    They’re a bit too stark to me, but the journeyman relics at custom shop would be a fair argument in addition to various aftermarket finishers (including some on this forum)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I just got mine.

63reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ICBM said:
    You pay thousands of dollars extra for a guitar to look like it's sixty years old and the finish is falling off. Then it does!

Excuse me while I roll around on the floor laughing...

(I see Wez got there first :).)
    At least they have the comfort of knowing that it was Master Builders wot done it.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited June 2021
    Mine's flaking a bit, but it sounds so good with the free pack of strings I managed to sweeten the deal with. Best £8k I've ever spent.
    28reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1276
    Lebarque said:
    Mine's flaking a bit, but it sounds so good with the free pack of strings I managed to sweeten the deal with. Best £8k I've ever spent 
    The free pack of strings I got with mine came with an extra high e string. Score!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    Time was that a Murphy-aged Historic was a genuine rarity. When these new 'Murphy Lab' guitars dropped, the sheer number of them devalued the concept for me.

One thing's for sure: the replacement of Henry J hasn't been a magic bullet for Gibson.
    That is my thought - Far less of an exclusive item than I'd have expected - Look on the appropriate UK sites and you might expect to see a few very tasty examples, but such sites are flooded with them - And as you say 10/20 years ago a TM LP was quite rare and if you had 1 or 2 in stock it was 'major event' - Similar story with Master Built Fenders say 10/15 years ago, especially Todd Krauss and J Cruz who had 2/3 year delivery dates on the guitars 

Ref the new regime under JC - I think they have steadied the ship and moved something arounds - No silly dumping of last years model before the year is up - No Amazon - And a few nice models in the catalogue - I think there has been some improvements overall 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    If I'd paid £8k for a guitar and the finish started falling off, I'd be telling Mark Agnesi to stick it in his garage.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Absolutely agree on the rarity factor. There are loads for sale now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1028
    My worry would be if I had one and the finish wasn’t flaking off. I doubt they would take it back as there isn’t any fault. Yet there you have a ticking time bomb on your hands 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1397
    There is a guy in that thread that had bought 16 ML guitars. Oooft.
    4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742 said:
    My worry would be if I had one and the finish wasn’t flaking off. I doubt they would take it back as there isn’t any fault. Yet there you have a ticking time bomb on your hands 
    Or the next person along does if you ever sell it used and there's the worry that Gibson will hide behind the warranty only being good to original buyer etc.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Isn't this the whole point of a Murphy Labs Gibson?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom