SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Private Messages ~ keeping PMs private

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 131
    Hmmmmm....very confusing!!!!  ;)  I have just been back into the other guy's page where I mistakenly wrote on his wall instead of sending a message but I can't see any means of deleting it.  No black crosses anywhere and no cog icon like you get when you're editing a post.

Any ideas?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    ChrisMusic said:
    On the subject of using the profile page for sales feedback posts, it seems to me that it is far too easy to abuse.  I agree it would be less work than the current list compiling, but at least that is done in full public gaze, which makes it far harder to abuse.  Also remember the face palm wars !
    In what way could you see it being abused? I can only see two real scenarios

1. Somebody who isn't happy gives somebody else a slagging off (in which case it is a Mod thing in exactly the same way as anywhere else on the site), or

2. A friend adds feedback just to make them look better or somebody opens a second account to do the same for themself. Which the current system is open to, of course.

Other than that, I can't think of anything? :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 131
    OK, thanks to the genius of @ChrisMusic I have successfully deleted the message I wrote on someone's wall by mistake!!!!  As it happens it was incredibly easy to undo once Chris explained it.  Simply hover the cursor over the message you've put on someone's wall in error, a X will appear in the top right of the post, click the X and a box will appear asking if you are sure you want to go ahead and delete.  Click 'OK' and it's gone. 

The man deserves a medal......!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    The PM method does seem a little illogical to me.

On other fora there is usually just a PM link at the bottom of the posted box along with your "quote" etc. 
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I think it makes sense @Neil I'm PMing a user, so I find the users page to send them a message.

The quote/LOL/Wow!/Wisdom/Facebook/Twitter buttons are about that specific post, so are next to the post.

Makes sense to me to keep that separate.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Well at least I know how it all works now.  :)
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    JookyChap said:

Genius idea Jooky.

If we could agree on a simple format, such as:
    Name bought from/sold me/traded guitar/amp/pedal +1

Then you get a bit more information than the current thread

Selling 3 Les Pauls is a bit different to buy 3 packs of strings, yet in the current system both would be +3
    Good point, be more useful to see the split between buys and sells.

I've got all the existing numbers up-to-date in a spreadsheet, so could do an initial post on each person's page to show what they are carrying forward too, so at least that history wouldn't be lost.

@Monquixote @Digitalscream @TTony Chaps - would this be a runner?

Doesn't seem to need any development other than perhaps changing the Activity title and clearing what is already there?
    Is this still happening? Still happy to help update a chunk.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Given one of the other discussions currently pointing out that people, maybe new members, are posting private information on publicly available activity / profile / wall pages, it seems appropriate to bump this again.

An active discussion here will keep the issue in the public eye for a while again.  It will give people an opportunity to remove any inappropriate posts too.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    We (as in MQ) updated the wall section last night - so it's pretty well signposted now that anything that gets posted on the wall section is open for public viewing.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.