Suggestions for something to go with a small multitrack recorder?

My niece is just coming to up her 15th birthday and has expressed an interest in some kind of device to record her own music. After some research I suggested a Tascam DP-006, which my sister has bought but realises does not make any actual musical sounds. My niece plays a bit of piano, guitar and ukulele but I suspect she’d like some kind of synth-type device to explore as well. I thought of the Korg Monotron but it’s perhaps too much of a toy (no proper keyboard could be a drawback). There are some great budget synths around now but £250+ is out of budget for now. 

I looked into a small keyboard to access sounds from GarageBand on the phone but I’m not sure if that’s possible and also routing audio from the iPhone into the Tascam. Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I've used a MIDI keyboard with USB and the Apple USB/camera kit adapter to control the software instruments on Garageband iOS. But I was recording on Garageband, too - sending the audio out from the headphone o/p. If your iDevice hasn't got  a headphone socket I'm not sure what you'd do. 
  • bencowling81bencowling81 Frets: 420
    Korg Volca is a step up from the Monotron an within budget
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I don’t know how much my sister wants to spend, but yes, something like the Volca Beats would be good. I was thinking of getting her a pair of decent headphones.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3597
    edited July 2021
    If she has an iphone, a cheap midi keyboard and she can use all the app based instruments and skip the tascam for an interface, mic and earphones,  bandlap app is good too