NGD Gibson J15

What's Hot
Just bought this Gibson over ebay in second hand but basically unused condition. The photo does not do it justice - the walnut burst is really one of the most beautiful finishes I have ever seen on an acoustic guitar.

I read that the J15 is similar to the more iconic J45 in that it uses the same bracing pattern, electronics and is made in the same factory in Montana. The difference is I think in the woods used - for instance the back and sides of the J15 are walnut versus the J45's mahagony. It was also considerably cheaper to buy - which may be why Gibson discontinued it.

Sound wise I would say although walnut looks similar to rosewood it is not quite so bright sounding. It's can be quite pointless to describe sound in words but I would best describe the tone as 'soulful'. Anyway it does feel like and sound like a properly expensive acoustic.

Not trying to sell it, but if the J15 was more widely appreciated that could obviously be of benefit.

Image 1 - GIBSON J-15 SUPERB CONDITION 2017 WITH HARD CASE

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Curious about these, just lost an auction for a natural finish model a few days ago. Nice burst!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Very nice. Pondered about these myself between the J35 and J15. From what i've read the J15 seems more popular than the J35. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Lovely looking guitar. Enjoy that beauty! How do these differ from the latest J45 studio models, which are also walnut back and sides? 
  • tomjax said:
    Lovely looking guitar. Enjoy that beauty! How do these differ from the latest J45 studio models, which are also walnut back and sides? 
    Not sure tbh.

I have been informed that the J15 using the same bracing pattern and construction techniques as the fully fledged J45.

So if the J45 Studio is constructed differently or in a different factory from the full priced J45, I would assume it is  not the same guitar as the J15

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Very nice. I settled on the J35 because I like a bigger neck, but tonally, although they're all a little different, I had no strong preference between the 15, 35 or 45.

They all have that classic American tone which so much popular music is based on, and consequently seem to sit with other instruments easily.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oldhorsemurphyoldhorsemurphy Frets: 321
    edited August 2021
    Lovely looking guitar.
  • Lovely looking guitar. I've had a J35 and a J45 before but now play a Martin D18. I still miss a good Gibson acoustic though; there's nothing quite like them
    I think the Gibson Js. and the Martin Ds are the heavyweights slugging it out in the acoustic guitar wars.

For me the Martins seem to sound more neutral, wheras the Gibson  has more of a recognizable, distinct tone. This is not necessarily a good thing, if I wanted a 'clean' sound I'd probably choose the Martin over the Gibson.

• allenallen Frets: 707
    I had a long search for J-45 a few years ago and played loads of them. I ended up with a Southern Jumbo which plays and sounds amazing. It's basically the same as a J-45, but with fancier cosmetics.

I played a J-15 a couple of years ago in a shop and to my ears it sounded totally different. The J-45s have a woody and thicker tone, the J-15 had a shimmery Martin tone to me. That's no bad thing in my book as it would be great to have that Martin tone in a guitar with a shorter scale length. I didn't buy it.

I actually bought a Martin OOO-28EC with a 24.9 scale length in search of the Martin tone, but it doesn't really have it to my mind, it does its own thing.

If only I had the space a J-15 would be on my list, but really need to get rid of guitars, not buy more of the buggers.