Hobby Studio Updated: New Headphones Day.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Musicwolf said:
    @Musicwolf is there much difference between RW3 and RW5? and why do you opt for RW3 over RW5 which I've read traps more frequencies? Many thanks for your time, and sorry to hijack!

RW5 (100kgm-3) is probably of benefit in a sound 'proofing' application.  Readers – please note that sound proofing and acoustic treatment are different things, even if some of the materials are the same.  Acoustic panels will not do anything to prevent sound from escaping from the room.  For absorbers there is very little difference in the behaviour as you need the wave to penetrate the panel in order to be absorbed.

Mineral wool is effectively sold by weight, so it’s really a matter of value for money.  RW3 is stiff enough to be self-supporting when used in panels.

That's perfect, thank you, @Musicwolf, appreciate the advice.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687
    I think a pair of headphone is the way forward then. The K702s mentioned seemed well priced,I could probably get the I/O expansion I wanted for the my budget then could make the panels as and when.

20cm sticking out from the wall though?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    tekbow said:
    I think a pair of headphone is the way forward then. The K702s mentioned seemed well priced,I could probably get the I/O expansion I wanted for the my budget then could make the panels as and when.

20cm sticking out from the wall though?
    Exactly. When you look at the photos of successfully treated spaces, they are all laid out with that goal in mind. I think those of us in shared spaces need to accept some compromises.

I can justify panels on walls, but no more than that. Maybe I should use the space for other things and get some HD650s (etc)?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    I really dont think the difference in RW3/5 will be noticeable to the home user, also RW can be very expensive delivered you less you can find it in the local merchant which is unlikely, depending how many you need it can be more cost effective to buy used ones.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    While this thread is still fresh, I many as well ask about Headphone Impedance.

My ID44 has an impedance of 60 ohm on the headphone input. I take it I'll want to match the headphone impedance as closely as possible to the ID44 input impedance?

Looking at AKG 701, 702 and 712. Anything else in this price range I should be considering? Slap bang in the middle would be nice. Open back I guess?
  • I'm no help with the impedance thing, sorry. I know they're a bit more expensive, but can't recommend Sennheiser HD650's enough. I absolutely love mine. I use them for music playback which they are great for, but also spent hundreds of hours playing guitar through them via interface, load boxes, axe FX, Kemper, plugins, everything and sound ace. They're comfy too.

I'm no help with the impedance thing, sorry. I know they're a bit more expensive, but can't recommend Sennheiser HD650's enough. I absolutely love mine. I use them for music playback which they are great for, but also spent hundreds of hours playing guitar through them via interface, load boxes, axe FX, Kemper, plugins, everything and sound ace. They're comfy too.

I'll have a look at them, cheers JT.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited June 2021
    No problem, man! You've helped me out loads :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    +1 for HD650's, and I louds.
    I think of the I louds as headphones, not worn.
    I mix in my only room, small studio flat type thing, which could never be treated.
    Careful layout, and some room treatment should be fairly easy, if your expectations are not too high, and I would like to try out the V2 I louds (M2M?) as I think they come with some clever room correction electronics, which might be useful.
    Eric Valentine did a good video where he used something like Sonarworks and a reference mic to get a reasonable sound in a new room, quite revealing how little was needed to fix some problems.
    The main thing to be understood, is that this is a long term experience, and learning to hear what your own space, whether that is between your ears or in a room, sounds like with reference tracks.
    Stuff like Span is very useful on the master bus for comparing things.
    Envious.
    edited June 2021
    No problem, man! You've helped me out loads :-)

Was my pleasure. If you ever feel that SLO Itch again, I can do some more re-amping:+1:
    andy_k said:
    I mix in my only room, small studio flat type thing, which could never be treated.
    Careful layout, and some room treatment should be fairly easy, if your expectations are not too high, and I would like to try out the V2 I louds (M2M?) as I think they come with some clever room correction electronics, which might be useful.
    Eric Valentine did a good video where he used something like Sonarworks and a reference mic to get a reasonable sound in a new room, quite revealing how little was needed to fix some problems.
    The main thing to be understood, is that this is a long term experience, and learning to hear what your own space, whether that is between your ears or in a room, sounds like with reference tracks.
    Envious.

I'd Like to try the MTM's as well, but more than I want to spend right now, and because I'm new to 'studio spaces' and just made do before, I have not formed and opinion on whether room correction might work or not.

I hear some say it's great and others say that it can't Possibly work and rooms need treated.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    tekbow said:
    andy_k said:
    Envious.

I'd Like to try the MTM's as well, but more than I want to spend right now, and because I'm new to 'studio spaces' and just made do before, I have not formed and opinion on whether room correction might work or not.

I hear some say it's great and others say that it can't Possibly work and rooms need treated.
    I think these are all tools that we have, to be used for whatever advantage.
    There is quite a lot of 'laws of diminishing returns' at play here. I did a music degree, and used their studios for quite a lot of recording and mixing work, which were pretty dead rooms, with Genelecs and some nice gear, and as the time went by I had to do more and more work from home. That was when I invested in the HD650s, and it was very useful to hear what was needed to compensate for when I re played the mixes through the studio equipment.
    The point is, neither of those scenarios were 'perfect', and there was probably a lot of room correction needed, but it hepled me reach a level that would otherwise be impossible.
    Theres a whole range of variables these days, we don't 'Just' mix for any particular medium, so you just have to learn where the compromises will be made, to suit your own tracks, and intentions.
    It also takes a long time to get used to anything, so it is important to have some standards to stick to, something like HD650s and I-louds is a great entry point, and the costs will soon mount up if you want to get more than a few percentage points of improvement.
    I think it is important, in a bad sounding, less than ideal room, that you keep levels reasonable and keep the mixes simple and focussed, not a lot of point having sounds in the sub range if they can't be heard or controlled, but the HD650s will reveal the problems soon enough.
    Christain from Spitfire has bottomless pockets, it seems, and he recently had his home studio (shed) treated, and was using something eyewateringly expensive for room correction, it is an interesting watch.
    The Eric valentine one was also good for showing how he dealt with very specific problems using analysis mic and a bit of judicious damping.
    One thing they both have in common, is very good sets of ears, and a lot of experience.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    For room correction check out the Trinnov system.
    It isn't cheap but it can be cheaper then redesigning a room to a professional standard.

The ST2 is (I think) about 5K and will do two sets of monitors.
    edited July 2021
    Well, managed to grab a pair of HD600s that were here in the classifieds for a good price, so all sorted.

@poopot I've also tried out that Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin on trial (has an HD600 profile too) and pleasantly suprised with the results.

Having the different monitor sets to switch between really does seem to help identify problem areas and balance things better.

• Wehey, great, great choice and congrats! I'm chuffed you got Senny's.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Let us know how you get on with them?
    I’ve had my pair for 5 or so years now & love them.  Often I just plug them into my phone/iPad & listen to stuff on Spotify, they are great & not fatiguing.