3/4 size basses - all much of a muchness?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
I'm assuming they are all a bit cheap and cheerful? Anything to keep an eye out for used that's a bit more useable than average? It's for a youngster (8) 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    edited May 2021
    Squier Bronco.

Beats all comers at the price, new or used, and many that cost a lot more too.

It will be at the upper end of the size range for an 8-year-old initially I think, but have nice thin necks and an offset body which helps a lot, and they will quickly grow into it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited May 2021
    TimmyO said:
    It's for a youngster (8) 
    ICBM said:
    Squier Bronco.
    If the youngster is female, consider the Squier Bronco Bass' close cousin, the Squier Badtz Maru Bronco Bass. Guaranteed to raise a smile and, hence, enthuse its keeper into wanting to play and learn.

The Gretsch G2220 Jet Junior is another 30" scale, more expensive new but quite the bargain pre-owned.

TimmyO said:
    I'm assuming they are all a bit cheap and cheerful?
    I have seen the Squier P Bass Mini and a Harley-Benton up close but not played either. It was hard not to regard them as toys. In both cases, the action was on the high side and, hence, unhelpful for young beginners.
    Be seeing you.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23917
    Ibanez Mezzo 32 scale new at £199 to £250 depending on colour.
    It might need the fret edges filed a bit but it's a very well built instrument even if the stock preamp isn't the best.

I've just loaded mine with a full set of EMG-X PJ set and preamp. I love it.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Cheers I shall keep an.eye out for those 
    Red ones are better. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've got a Squier Bronco - it's not a bad bass.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11412
    edited May 2021
    Ibanez TMB 30 is very good.  30" scale PJ pickup configuration.  I picked an immaculate one up for £90 second hand.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    The Cort short scale beginner basses are great and are between £150 and £200. Genuinely good instruments - I use one at home for recording 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Bronco, cheap new, cheap as chips used, I used to gig one!

Ive modded mine over the years, but they are pretty good out of the box

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Cheers guys - I'm keeping an eye out on ebay for all these 
    Red ones are better. 
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 239
    I will try to do a NGD soon, but I'd say I'm pretty happy with my Bronco.

Ordered one afternoon last week from PMT and it was on my doorstep before 8am the next day.

The neck feels good, the fret edges are all smooth and well seated. There's bits you can identify where the money's been saved, but it's all perfectly good. I may upgrade bits over time but I think for the time being my playing needs work rather than the instrument :)
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    TimmyO said:
    I'm assuming they are all a bit cheap and cheerful? Anything to keep an eye out for used that's a bit more useable than average? It's for a youngster (8) 
    I don’t know if you found anything TimmyO, but dv247 are doing a nice small bass I see the other day, might be worth a look https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/J-D-Bass-guitar-JB-Mini-BK-Black/art-BAS0007167-000
    Riddim up
    Reggaebass said:

I don’t know if you found anything TimmyO, but dv247 are doing a nice small bass I see the other day, might be worth a look
    ... other than being in DV247.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Reggaebass said:

I don’t know if you found anything TimmyO, but dv247 are doing a nice small bass I see the other day, might be worth a look
    ... other than being in DV247.
    I’ve found them quite good, don’t you like them 
    Riddim up
    Reggaebass said:

I’ve found them quite good, don’t you like them 
    Read some of the horror stories.

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Sounds like you're sorted for suggestions. Just to be safe: I had a student with a Gear4Music 3/4 size bass that was horrendous. Dead spots and fret buzz galore and no tuning stability. Don't know what a good setup could have done for it, but the only instrument I've ever seen worse from the box was an Argos 1/2 size classical.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    Cheers folks. Yeah I’ve been keeping an eye on eBay for those known-name-brand ones recommended above (Squier, Ibanez, Cort, Gretsch) at a good price - no hurry 
    Red ones are better. 
    How do I post a picture, cheers 
    Riddim up
    It’s a bit of a pain but this should work: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/posting-pics-vids-soundclips-how-to#latest
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    It’s a bit of a pain but this should work: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/posting-pics-vids-soundclips-how-to#latest
    Thanks very much mrT, that’s a lot of faff, I’ll have to explore a bit more 
    Riddim up
    TimmyO said:
    Thanks very much mrT, that’s a lot of faff, I’ll have to explore a bit more 
    It is indeed - hardest forum to post images on I use anywhere 
    Red ones are better.