Are there certain strings which are easier on the fingertips.

What's Hot
I know I should probably play til my fingers bleed, if I was a proper guitarist.

But I am finding I quickly get sore fingertips from the strings on my Gibson acoustic. I am not exactly new to the guitar either - so am a bit concerned this maybe a chronic condition.

Can anyone advise if there are special comfortable 'nice' strings for sensitive flowers?

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    What gauge strings are you using?

Newtones are lower tension so “easier” to play. But a good setup could also help. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Some people are allergic to nickel, but that’s normally used for electric guitar strings rather than acoustic. You would probably know already if this was the problem. 

Your problem is more likely to be caused by pressing too hard. Acoustic guitar strings are normally thicker than electric strings, and the guitar’s action is far higher. This means that it takes more pressure to hold the string against the fret. It’s easy to overdo the finger pressure. The solution is to work out how little pressure you can get away with and still get a clean note. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    Roland said:
    Some people are allergic to nickel, but that’s normally used for electric guitar strings rather than acoustic. You would probably know already if this was the problem. 

Your problem is more likely to be caused by pressing too hard. Acoustic guitar strings are normally thicker than electric strings, and the guitar’s action is far higher. This means that it takes more pressure to hold the string against the fret. It’s easy to overdo the finger pressure. The solution is to work out how little pressure you can get away with and still get a clean note. 
    It could also be the OP has a high action on his guitar as well.

But for strings, something like Silk and Steels, or Newtone Heritage make a difference for the fingers as well.
  • Thanks for the replies. The action seems OK so I am not sure it would benefit from a set up.

The point about applying too much pressure on the strings could be part of my problem, it's instinctive though and requires a certain amount of self discpline to stop doing it.

I'll check out the Newtones.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited June 2021
    Go thinner. If you have 12s on there try newtone heritage 11s but not lower as the tone suffers. Sore fingertips is unusual, my hands get tired if anything first... how often do you play? If you play acoustic 30-60 mins a week only then you need to add more hours for your hands to acclimatise. 

Also check that the nut and relief are right otherwise your first position chords will feel very stiff. On acoustics because the action is higher I only have a tiny bit of relief, like an pl10 string width or less. (Holding down B string at nut and highest fret and checking gap between bottom of string and top of 8th fret)
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    My guitar teacher had me fit electric guitar strings to my acoustic, sounded crap but made it easier on my 12 year old fingers!

EB Slinky 9's as I recall
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I would second the recommendation for Newtones - Masterclass Phosphor Bronze - that's what I use on my Gibson Dove, and despite popular wisdom that anything lighter than 16s 12s will kill the tone, especially on a Dreadnought, it's fine with 11s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Thanks again for the replies.

Playing it again, I've concluded it is not my technique or the guitars action that it the problem - it is the strings.

I bought it as new condition so I've got to assume that they were the ones fitted at the Gibson, Montana factory. They sound fine - but they feel nasty. Perhaps masochism is part of the Gibson journey.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Any goretex style tends to be, IMO.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• moremore Frets: 230
    edited June 2021
    Some players do find acoustics hard work after playing electric.  As others have suggested, a set of lighter strings might be better for you. You don't say what model of  Gibson you have, but you could try a set of silk and steel. Easier on the fingers but not everybody is happy with the tone.
  • Another vote for the Newtones from me, but if the guitar is new from the factory, in my experience it would benefit from a set up.
  • SammySammy Frets: 129
    edited July 2021
    ICBM said:
    I would second the recommendation for Newtones - Masterclass Phosphor Bronze - that's what I use on my Gibson Dove, and despite popular wisdom that anything lighter than 16s 12s will kill the tone, especially on a Dreadnought, it's fine with 11s.

Agree Newstones Masterclass  PB's are the easiest and smoothest acoustic strings I have ever played, plus they also sound better than any other acoustic String! Also agree with ICBM that 11's, are fine I have them on my Larrivee OM absolutely no loss of tone whatsoever.