Studio Monitor Recomendations

What's Hot
Hi all,

This is a subject I know NOTHING about.

It's become important to me because I've made a pretty hefty decision, not to buy a Bogner Ecstasy 3534 and cab, and go Fractal FM3.

Delivery is next week - and I'm very excited.

The stuff I've heard and seen is extremely impressive, and I can't see a downside for recording which I'm keen to get in to, and occasionally going out at playing - which won't be often or regularly.

I seriously need some help on Monitors - for home use with the FM3, in a 3m square room which is my WFH office. The room is untreated for sound at present.

I 'think' I'm mainly looking for a monitor set which give me a pleasing feel to what i'm playing - as I'm a beginner at this - so felling good and enjoyable sound in the room (as it is) is more important than accurate fidelity for recording - thats something I'm prepared to mess with later - the recording I'll be doing is mainly recording playing for practice and improvement purposes, and for dropping guitar parts onto other peoples songs - mainly for fun.

Where the hell do I start? - reasonable sized driver 6.5 or 7"? dunno...

I'm happy to buy new or used - not an issue either way - I'm cool with better used kit for the same price as lesser new gear.

I don't even know the spectrum of manufacturers or their reputations.

All assistance gratefully received.

Cheers all,
Ben.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
* Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
* Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    My APS Aeons worked perfectly with my Helix and a huge step up from the usual Yamaha HS7 HS8 , they are up for sale at the moment if they tickle your fancy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    First question: budget?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    Very good question, and that is something I have considered - I reckon up something like £600 for a pair is doing justice to the kit - I was told by an AxeFX3 using friend that this is not an area to scrimp on.

It’s about the same as I was going to be spending on the Bogner 1x12 to go with the 3534.

That feels about right to me - although I am influenceable :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited July 2021
    OK, you are playing guitar so you don't need huge drivers, because guitar doesn't have huge lows, unless you are playing with drop tunings and playing metal.
    Using a 5" driver will mitigate (to a degree) some of the issues you get in untreated rooms.

Neumann KH80's are very good and pretty much on budget.
    I have a set as my third set of monitors and they are very good for what they are.

I've reviewed several sets of Eve Audio monitors which I like quite a lot too.
    SC205 or SC207's would be in budget.
    The RS3 tweeter equates to a smoother top end.

I don't like the usual suggestion of Yamaha HS5's or HS7's.
    Not to put too fine a point on it but I think they sound shit.

I have half a dozen suggestions over a grand for a stereo pair too.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    edited July 2021
    Another vote for the KH80’s.  I’m very happy with mine in a small room (albeit with some acoustic treatment).

More like £750 rather than £600 - but worth stretching the budget .
  • I went for the Focal Alpha 50’s as they we’re recommended for use in tight spaces. They sound excellent to my untrained ears.
    edited July 2021
    octatonic said:
    OK, you are playing guitar so you don't need huge drivers, because guitar doesn't have huge lows, unless you are playing with drop tunings and playing metal.
    Using a 5" driver will mitigate (to a degree) some of the issues you get in untreated rooms.

Neumann KH80's are very good and pretty much on budget.
    I have a set as my third set of monitors and they are very good for what they are.

I've reviewed several sets of Eve Audio monitors which I like quite a lot too.
    SC205 or SC207's would be in budget.
    The RS3 tweeter equates to a smoother top end.

I don't like the usual suggestion of Yamaha HS5's os HS7's.
    Not to put too fine a point on it but I think they sound shit.

I have half a dozen suggestions over a grand for a stereo pair too.
    That’s very good insight - I’m definitely not metal with drop tunings, I guess mainly be banging out 80s rock sounds in the main, that’s where I’m going - with some boggo boomer- blues and classic rock sounds and occasional cleaner verbier bits n Bob’s - no Djent for me

To give you an idea, the top of my preset download list are Lukather packs and the Steve Stevens presets, along with Leon Todd blues stuff.

Thank you very much everyone BTW for contributing!

• MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    You may also want to check out Genelec 8020's. I like the form factor and they sound good, too.
    Hi all,

I’m focussing my attention on the smaller sized driver models due to the room size and conditions from notes above and have checked out the Eve Audio SC205 and very similar Adam Audio A5X.

(I’ve only just made the Adam and Eve connection ;) )

The Eve Audio units seem to have some thoughtfully designed features and look like an update on the Adam unit.

Front mounted controls are a nice touch on both.

Anyone think I’d be making a big mistake on either of these options?

Cheers,
    Ben.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    The only issue I'd have with the Eves is the lack of UK seller at the minute meaning it's more fiddly if something goes wrong with them. 

Thanks to @octatonic I'm locked in for a pair of KH80s either next year or when I have enough stuff offloaded to fund them this year. 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    And on the cheap monitor front... the JBL LSR305's really do the job well for guitar stuff. I'm happy enough with Helix Native and the JBLs to warrant selling some amps now. 

• kriszukikriszuki Frets: 20
    sweepy said:
    My APS Aeons worked perfectly with my Helix and a huge step up from the usual Yamaha HS7 HS8 , they are up for sale at the moment if they tickle your fancy 

Hey Ben, I owned a pair of APS Aeons for years, I only sold because I am a tinkerer.
    but I must say they are top notch, and for your purposes will be very enjoyable to play through, and the nice thing is you can adjust the eq (on the back of the speaker) to adjust them to your room acoustic better.
    If you do use them for music playback and mixing they will excell too.
    @sweepy deal at the moment is worth looking into.
    Good luck with the search.