Chase Tone Secret Preamp review

Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
edited April 2022 in FX Reviews
A newsprint headline for this review would read: "A subtle and musical tone sweetener".

This review covers my experience of this popular reproduction of the solid state Echoplex EP-3 preamp, which followed on from the original tube based Echoplex. 
Notable users of the original include Jimmy Page and Eric Johnson; who recently even converted his EP-2's for tape-less operation, such being the musical quality of their pre-amps.

This circuit fits into a regular compact casing (finished in a fetching hammerite custom colour & available as a special run or for an additional price direct from Chase Tone) and stands slightly higher than an MXR pedal due to it's top mounted input and output jacks. It runs on the standard 9v centre negative power supply and features a volume control and three position tone switch.

I've primarily tested the secret preamp set to the bright switch setting which is closest to the bypass tone. While the mid position was useful the dark setting was too dark for taste and to reasonably compare the pedal's tonal affects to the bypassed tone. 
Two amps were employed: a clean sounding silverface Fender Champ into a 12" speaker and dirty 15watter based on a Matchless Lightining. 

Where the Secret Pre excels particularly is into a clean Fender style amp. It does a subtle tightening of the bass and evens out the mids, giving the impression of a subtle upper mid boost. It is the best pedal I have used to date to follow a fuzz as it takes an edge off the harshness that come with stronger square wave distortion types. Clean sounds are nice but hard to distinguish as "better" and the low mids are evened out with a dash of compression. The small bit of compression will help if you use it as a mild booster and it produced enough gain to act as a light boost for an already distorted amp. Using the 3 position frequency switch a mild mid boost into a clean amp can slso be obtained.

Into a warmer amp that is slightly overdriven it's less effective after fuzz and drive, as the amp is doing some rounding off of harsh tonal edges itself, however, with one exception: My Buffalo TD-X.
The TD-X (a solid state reproduction of the famed Butler Tube Driver) can be raspy in the high end and the Secret Pre just takes it that bit closer to perfect sustaining smoothness without removing too much attack from the note. It's worth the purchase just for this quality if you are obsessive about tweaking your epic lead guitar tones. 

Synth players would also appreciate it's ability to sweeten harsh frequencies and focus the mid band. 

Please share your experiences with the Secret Pre and let me know what you thought of this review. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tweedphantweedphan Frets: 50
    I recently purchase the Secret Preamp from Kyle Chase in the States. No import duty as under £135. I use it into my 18 watt Marshall clone but so far only at home, for obvious reasons. Improves tone no end, making lead tones thicker with more sustain. And have just purchased a Fuzz Fella from him which I’ll try out on Tuesday when the wife’s out. Can’t wait !!
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 896
    Thanks for the review, I'd been wondering about these.
  • tweedphan said:
    I recently purchase the Secret Preamp from Kyle Chase in the States. No import duty as under £135. 
    Ah, thought I had just got lucky. Kyle charged me less for shipping than it actually cost too. Fair play to the guy for the fair pricing of great products. 
  • Secret pre and fuzz fella owner here too! Super pedals...

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Huge fan of that pedal. If you use any kind of dirt, the SPA just makes it better. It'll never leave my board.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3492
    I concur. Makes any drive pedal ..better