Inexpensive but more sensitive mic than Shure SM57

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Somethings up somewhere. An SM57 into an MG10 the channel gain I would expect to use for a decent signal would be about 11/12 o’clock thenwith the channel fader at 0 and the master at 0 there should be more than enough input into the Focusrite. First thing I would do is turn the comp off and secondly check the leads. My guess is you’ve got the MG compressor on max 
    Yeah its around 1 o'clock gain wise, compressor is at noon, should I turn that down to zero? Master is the stereo output red knob isn't it? Leads are brand new XLR's and I've only had the MG10 for a day lol so still figuring it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You can record an entire album with a 57 (but it will take a while). As others have suggested, check the levels - line vs instrument, borrow a mic cable, etc. Unless you've been using the mic for construction I very much doubt it's gone wrong.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3097
    edited July 2021
    Somethings up somewhere. An SM57 into an MG10 the channel gain I would expect to use for a decent signal would be about 11/12 o’clock thenwith the channel fader at 0 and the master at 0 there should be more than enough input into the Focusrite. First thing I would do is turn the comp off and secondly check the leads. My guess is you’ve got the MG compressor on max 
    Yeah its around 1 o'clock gain wise, compressor is at noon, should I turn that down to zero? Master is the stereo output red knob isn't it? Leads are brand new XLR's and I've only had the MG10 for a day lol so still figuring it out.
    Edited my comment after I read the manual, check the pad on the channel this reduces input gains to compensate for hot signals it should be off And turn the compressor to off 7 o’clock to start with .(Personally think the comps on these desks do more harm than good!)
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    By fader on zero you mean on the unity or actually zero? Cos there wouldn’t be any output sound on 0 if I did that for the level.
    By fader on zero you mean on the unity or actually zero? Cos there wouldn’t be any output sound on 0 if I did that for the level.
    Unity ie 12 o’clock , markings on the channel strips very confusing!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Or according to the picture 3 o’clock!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Yes that’s where it was! Just took a few videos during my last lesson with compressor on zero and it came out alright actually. Due to time contraints didn’t have much time to fiddle.
    Cool
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    edited July 2021
    Just ordered a P170 for about £58. Can I use phantom power for this and the SM57 will be ok in the xlr port too?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    Just ordered a PG170 for about £58. Can I use phantom power for this and the SM57 will be ok in the xlr port too?
    Phantom is fine with dynamics
    Ok cool, I mean there are phantom power blocker adapter things floating around for £35, so if I wanted to run Kemper xlr into another port it’d protect it.
    Ok cool, I mean there are phantom power blocker adapter things floating around for £35, so if I wanted to run Kemper xlr into another port it’d protect it.
    No need apparently https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?thread/32948-will-phantom-power-damage-my-kemper/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    edited July 2021
    No need apparently https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?thread/32948-will-phantom-power-damage-my-kemper/
    Hmm not sure whether to believe that. £35 for peach of mind or a damaged Kemper profiler that I would need to send to Germany to repair....I know what I'd rather choose haha.

Although I don't think I'd be using a condenser mic AND the Kemper together at the same time on the mixer, just the SM57 and my forthcoming P170.
    edited July 2021
    Got my P170 earlier today, took a few test recordings going straight into my Focusrite (no mixer involved). I like how it sounds! Really warm, clear and doesn't colour the sound of the acoustic guitar. I then did the same with the SM57. 

I labelled one of them A and one of them B. Can you tell which one was which mic? Both were recorded same position and distance from guitar.

Sorry to OP for taking over his thread lol.