Best method to fix loose bridge posts ?

JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
edited July 2021 in Making & Modding
I read somewhere , that best method is to use self adhesive aluminium tape .
Other sources mention , super glue or epoxy .

I am leaning towards aluminium tape as it would be easy to remove posts if needed as opposed to glueing them .
People also say that there's quite a difference in tone ( resonating ) using different method . Is that so?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Which kind of posts?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    … and in what guitar? 
    Be seeing you.
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    It is a Les Paul copy and tune o matic bridge , so 4 posts need fixing . 

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Plug the holes and redrill…
    poopot said:
    Plug the holes and redrill…
    Yeah , there's that option too , which I am not going for unless it'll be necessary .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    If they’re threaded inserts for the bridge - they will be for the stopbar - I would epoxy them in. You should never need to get them out again.

The two things you need to be very careful of are to fit them with the posts in place, screwed fully down and with a small amount of grease on the end of the post inside - this will stop the epoxy forcing up inside the insert and then preventing the post going back in - and to make certain there’s a good solid ground wire in the treble-side tailpiece hole, since you won’t be able to fix it later. I like to use a piece of thick multistrand wire, much bigger than normally used.

If the bridge posts are directly threaded into the wood like a traditional Gibson, plug and redrill - you don’t want those glued in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Yeah these are knurled posts . Epoxy them for good sounds like my second thought in order to fix this . Though  i might use aluminium tape first to check if intonation is actually good before i glue it for good . 
    Thanks
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Jazzthat said:
    It is a Les Paul copy and tune o matic bridge
    Any particular brand? 

The bodies on lot of Seventies MIJ copies were built from laminate. Sometimes, the dished top was more laminate sheet, steamed and pressed into shape.

In some examples, there is an air gap between the highest part of the top and the remainder of the body. This is where the threaded inserts are installed. Stability cannot be guaranteed.
    Be seeing you.
    edited July 2021
    Jazzthat said:
    It is a Les Paul copy and tune o matic bridge
    Any particular brand? 

The bodies on lot of Seventies MIJ copies were built from laminate. Sometimes, the dished top was more laminate sheet, steamed and pressed into shape.

In some examples, there is an air gap between the highest part of the top and the remainder of the body. This is where the threaded inserts are installed. Stability cannot be guaranteed.
    It's a Hondo from 1977 . You are right about all this . There is a gap in between the top and the rest of body .
    So what does that mean in practice that stability could be affected  ? 
     If I epoxy them like ICBM suggested , that should no longer be a problem , right ?