Cover Challenge #15 - brought to you by the letter "B"

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
edited September 2021 in Making Music
Welcome to the 15th Fretboard Cover Challenge - brought to you by the letter B

The rules are simple - there are no rules*

We all start with the same song suggestion and record our own cover version. It's up to your imagination as to what you do with it. It could be faithful to the original or as out there as you wish. 

The track to cover as chosen by the last winner @Bezzer ;;; is:

“Beauty Has Her Way” - Mummy Calls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I92u-SJRNM4

but... there’s a twist... you can choose to cover the Mummy Calls track or you can choose to cover ANY song beginning with the letter “B” 

however... if you cover the Mummy calls track you automatically get a bonus 5 points... if you cover the other you start from scratch!...

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might subliminally get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Sunday 26th September.... Ten weeks folks... get cracking

A playlist (below) of all the entries will also be posted in the voting thread. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 248
    I can honestly say I've never heard that song before!
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Yeah you have! I mean otherwise you’re telling me you’ve never seen “The Lost Boys” and that’s not possible! Right? …. Oh god … right?!?!?
    Nope, not seen that either.
    *And with that, the world crumbled.  The last hopes for humanity extingushed like a flame that has been p***ed upon*

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Christ, I can't cover that song. Is that Bill Murray on drums?! I'll have to do something beginning with B, cos that song has just curdled my blood an made me feel a bit spewy...! ;)

Bezzer, that's a twisted trick, picking that nastiness.....
    Snap said:
    Christ, I can't cover that song. Is that Bill Murray on drums?! I'll have to do something beginning with B, cos that song has just curdled my blood an made me feel a bit spewy...! ;)

Ha ha ... it's revenge for all the "classic" rock thrown at me.

I think I let you all off lightly though, I nearly went for "Born In A Burial Gown" by Cradle of Filth.

Honestly though I really like that song and thought because it's pretty sparse, and has more than 3 chords in it, it might be one that could be easily interpretted in a lot of different ways.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone that listens to the whole video deserves 5 points =)
    Bezzer said:
    Snap said:

Ha ha ... it's revenge for all the "classic" rock thrown at me.

I think I let you all off lightly though, I nearly went for "Born In A Burial Gown" by Cradle of Filth.

Honestly though I really like that song and thought because it's pretty sparse, and has more than 3 chords in it, it might be one that could be easily interpretted in a lot of different ways.
    oh mate, it's awful. It's managed to capture so much of what was naff about the 80s. I don't believe you like it. Can't be the same person who could do such a good version of AFE. Nah, you're on the wind up.

Next you'll be saying you are a big Richard Marx fan.

edited July 2021
    Ha ha … it’s possible my love of it is directly linked to the Lost Boys and intrinsically that film is part of my youth. 

My tastes are fucking weird mind. If the consensus is that it’s a hateful piece of shit I’ll change my choice (@poopot permitting) but I’ll warn you now … it’ll be something directly in my wheelhouse 

Given the songs I've had to endure through these challenges ... you're all heathenous bastards! Ha ha
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited July 2021
    I actually like that song! I used to listen to my big brother's cassettes on my old walkman, one of which was the Lost Boys soundtrack. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrMLMV6E4CM&list=PL0snmcYrGgH7Fnx94ZMguuqsgv6upm9_h
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    @bezzer of course you are more than welcome to change your choice… however… folk should just man up and go with it… or… do another song beginning with “B” and forego the five bonus points!!!!!
    And contrary to what I wrote above.... My entry is in the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-15

(i will have a crack at the chosen track aswell tho')

I will be doing something else beginning with B, deffo. I wouldn't know where to start with that "lovely classic" and I think it would actually drive me nuts.

However, I too am a Lost Boys fan. Along with other seminal films from that period like Risky Business and The Breakfast Club. And I had a massive mullet. Curly, full of hairspray. Was my pride and joy.  

Snap said:
    I will be doing something else beginning with B, deffo. I wouldn't know where to start with that "lovely classic" and I think it would actually drive me nuts.

However, I too am a Lost Boys fan. Along with other seminal films from that period like Risky Business and The Breakfast Club. And I had a massive mullet. Curly, full of hairspray. Was my pride and joy.  

This post needs a photo as proof...
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited July 2021
    Snap said:

That's a shame, i thought you could have put a nice dark bent on that ... I know the video is pretty horrific with its 80s hair schtick (I can smell the hairspray through my screen), but maybe the song just needs a little time to err, grow on you?  
    Habanero said:
    Snap said:

This post needs a photo as proof...
    oh I don't think so, it really doesn't! 
    Track chosen, music more or less done, vocals yet to do. The hardest bit
    Nice one!  I know what you mean, I dread reaching the "shit, I've got to sing this now" part ... and THEN realising I've chosen the wrong bloody key!

I've not done much at all yet, first week was manic and this week ... just been too hot to spend any time in my little studio.  Hoping with the rain breaking things tonight I'll be able to get in there tomorrow. 
    I've made no progress either this week due to the heat. I almost ordered a new short scale guitar, as my finger problems were facing a challenge with this tune, but I seem to have a work around.
    The heat is bolloxing up everything… went to record some bass for a track yesterday… five string bass only playable above the goth fret on all strings… serious back bow thanks to the heat in the studio!!!!